Amazon has reportedly $600 Million commitment for Tomb Raider franchise

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
It turns out that the company that acquired the rights of Tomb Raider games are speculators and now they got what they wanted.

As long as Tomb Raider continues producing games like Shadow of the Tomb Raider, my favourite TR game of the most recent trilogy and one of my favourite games in the last 10 years, the rest doesn't matter.

This is the type of move I expected Google or Apple to make when they got into gaming. For Amazon, this deal works for both Amazon Prime(video) and their Luna service. Hopefully (but less likely) future releases game releases from the franchise will be multiplatform. Hats off to Embracer already making their money back on the studios without them releasing anything new. To Square-Enix, hopefully those NFTs were worth it.

Last edited:
It turns out that the company that acquired the rights of Tomb Raider games are speculators and now they got what they wanted.
If Embracer, as reported, paid $300M for all of Square Enix western studios and IP only to sell TR for twice that amount... Then "Good job!", I'd say.

Edit: Also, Embracer seems to have financed a lot of its buying spree with what was, last year, extremely cheap debt - to the point of being almost "free money". That may no longer be the case, so some fiscal prudence is probably wise if you get an offer too good to refuse.

Another edit: Also this news with regards to other TR media rights and plans from Amazon. And this, regarding upcoming games. All in all, makes perfect sense.

Last edited:
$600 million? Is Tomb Raider worth that?

The value of TV rights when its on Amazon Prime are probably quite hard to quantify. The last movie didn't make it's money back, but then unless a movie's record breaking that seems to be how the accounting works.

The game rights without Crystal seem like a stupid purchase. MS thought it best to hire them over building their own big budget 3rd person game team.

Wait...so that means they get 600 million without having to sell the franchise. That sucks even more for SE and is an even better deal for Embracer.

Back