Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [pre E3 2019] *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't be surprised if Anaconda is more powerful or advanced all said and done due to the aforementioned nature. However pricing wise it could be a bit tricky, it all seems like PS5 would be costing around $499 especially more so if Raytracing is hardware based, would that push Anaconda to $599 territory? Quite a risky move for MS if it is.

Wouldn't be surprised if Anaconda is more powerful or advanced all said and done due to the aforementioned nature. However pricing wise it could be a bit tricky, it all seems like PS5 would be costing around $499 especially more so if Raytracing is hardware based, would that push Anaconda to $599 territory? Quite a risky move for MS if it is.
Maybe it doesn't have an ssd, or maybe it comes out a year later. The xb1x just came out a year and a half ago, they might be looking for a similar repeat of the ps4p vs xb1x launch by announcing at the same time but launching a year later. Better spec for the price with a year advantage in tech development.

Or maybe the low sku launches in 2020 and the high sku launches in 2021.

Or... maybe the rumor is crap and both will be similar priced and similar power. :LOL:

Maybe it doesn't have an ssd, or maybe it comes out a year later. The xb1x just came out a year and a half ago, they might be looking for a similar repeat of the ps4p vs xb1x launch by announcing at the same time but launching a year later. Better spec for the price with a year advantage in tech development.

Or maybe the low sku launches in 2020 and the high sku launches in 2021.

Or... maybe the rumor is crap and both will be similar priced and similar power. :LOL:
Nar mate, the supposed 4 TF low end SKU would be eaten alive next to a PS5 in the range of 2-3 times more powerful and would lose huge market share:).
I am very doubtful of this rumor tho, doesn't seem to have a credible source.

Hardware RT could just be part of navi who knows, so why would that up the cost?
SSD, didn't most people expect some form of SSD even at $399
Maybe less ram due to being able to stream it in faster. HBCC sort of set up.

Anyway, my point is we still don't know much, but buzzwords has seemed to have added quite a lot to the price.
Maybe people need to say how they think the specs have changed compared to what they thought it would be, because very little has changed for me.

What? No scenario of low sku launches in 2019? ;)
No, because there would be legit leaks all over even the darkest corners of interweb if that's the case. Devkits would have gone to third party devs way before and even bidding at $10,000 on Ebay right now;).
Hardware RT could just be part of navi who knows, so why would that up the cost?

Anyway, my point is we still don't know much, but buzzwords has seemed to have added quite a lot to the price.
Maybe people need to say how they think the specs have changed compared to what they thought it would be, because very little has changed for me.
Rumor has it only Navi 20 has RT hardware and PS5 is likely a variant of it, non of Navi 10, 12 has it so that would certainly add cost. A 2TB SSD would be cheap you reckon? HBM, support for 8k graphics even at checkerboarding would surely indicate a capable gpu that can render native 4k next gen graphics right? Not cheap. Not saying they're all on spot but the prospect of a cheap $399 hardware is not very promising here.

AMD hasn't been great with GPUs lately. The only way I can see MS having a more powerful console is if they 1) Went with two chips . A full cpu with 16 cores based on Zen 2 and a separate chip dedicated to graphics based on Navi. Or 2 ) MS paid for a custom chip from AMD perhaps pumping enough money into the next gen chip which is rumored for 2020 . Perhaps it will debut in the next xbox . MS talked a lot about their software to find bottlenecks while designing the xbox one x. perhaps they took that further on the x to inform changes to next gen amd or even paid for a custom chip like they did with the xbox 360 .

I guess another way would be for MS to eat some costs but I don't see that happening.

As mostly a pc gamer the ps5 looks like a nice boost to hardware power and if MS can put something out on par or better then at the end of the day the pc gamer wins. In 2020 I will upgrade my vega 56 and ryzen 1700x and get a Navi and 3700x and enjoy all next gen games and then in 2022 upgrade again.

The one clear message MS could act upon is the storage. PS5 could look very 'next gen' if loading speeds are non-existent while XBN is taking a while to load stuff from slow storage. With the cat out the bag, MS can now consider super fast storage options where perhaps they were considering mundane, economical solutions.
Cerny seemed to be suggesting that some of the core packaging of games is influenced by memory restrictions. If MS took a less ambitious approach how would that impact third party titles?

Presumably some stuff could simply be edited out but others really could impact how a game works.

The super fast storage with the much more capable CPU is going to be fantastic and probably enough for someone like me but the mainstream are all about the graphics.
I just hope that AMD have somehow got Navi to have 20-30 % performance to watt improvement over there previous gen.

One way for Anaconda to be more advanced is using Chiplet instead of APU, is that still within the realm of possibility?

Well yes, and I expect MS to have an SSD. My point was only that out of the details presented, the only one MS probably could act upon was mention of an SSD. That doesn't mean they have to act upon it. And that point was mostly in support of the notion that not giving info to your competition is a good idea.

I'd recommend re-reading the bad interview. At no point did Cerny say the next PlayStation has a SSD. From my observations of Mr Cerny, right back from the February 2013 PS4 reveal, in all of his discussions with the media following that reveal, in his 'The Road of PS4' presentation at GameLabs in 2013 and at the PS4 Pro reveal in 2016, what I have noticed is he is a man who is very precise in choice of words, which is why the lack of direct quotes is disappointing. Here is the paragraph from Wired:

Wired said:
As Cerny points out, “I have an SSD in my laptop, and when I want to change from Excel to Word I can wait 15 seconds.” Whatʼs built into Sonyʼs next-gen console is something a little more specialized.

The first half of the sentence is what Cerny said and and the second half is what Wired's journalist wrote but likely because that's what Cerny said or strongly implied. The article (not Cerny) talks about "solid state storage" not SSDs - but Mr Cerny uses SSD when referring to that specific recognisable component in his laptop. Maybe Microsoft will go full SSD, but I doubt it due to cost reasons.

Xbox One X will have showed Microsoft that a) that there is a market for more powerful consoles and b) that this market is smaller than the market for the budget-conscious buyers. A smaller SSD isn't practical given game sizes. So it's really not a choice if you want your console to be affordable and powerful. The only option really is something smarter like Fusion Drive or SSHD. But you don't want SSHD because the controllers are tuned for general desktop OS usage, and by 'desktop OS' I mean Windows, not macOS (hence FusionDrive) or linux - which will almost certainly be the base OS for PS5 just as it was for PS3 and PS4.

That said, Sony talking about their stack and getting the load speeds so low, performance is potentially way better than just putting in a fast SSD. There's a tiddly amount of potential there for MS to look at their low SSD load times and think, "I wonder if we can get some more if we don't access it the Windows way and instead come up with a leaner XBox way?" or somesuch.

Bottlenecks are easy to identify and traditionally are pulling data from storage, the I/O controller, the CPU and RAM. The fact that Sony have Spider-Man moving through New York at the speed of a bullet sounds great but it's a game designed to run on, almost, six year old hardware off a slow-arse HDD. The PS4/Pro SATA controller is not great but then there was really no point putting a superfast controller in PS4 Pro if the data can't be used because it's bottlenecked by the CPU and RAM - which is the case. These snippets in the Wired article sound amazing but much of this is just advances in tech that the next Xbox will also benefit from and by not being a PC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it possible to see something closer to how mobile phones do their storage? That’s not quite SSD either

Is there a difference between breaking it out and having it soldered to the board ?

Yes and no. Take a typical 2.5" SSD for example. To access the flash the computer has to go through OS calls, device drivers, southbridge, the physical drive interface electronics, the drive controller on the SSD itself then the flash. Now look at what Apple does with flash storage in Macs and iPhone: OS calls, device driver, custom controller to flash. Android phones vary depending on the cost and chipsets.

Rumor has it only Navi 20 has RT hardware and PS5 is likely a variant of it, non of Navi 10, 12 has it so that would certainly add cost. A 2TB SSD would be cheap you reckon? HBM, support for 8k graphics even at checkerboarding would surely indicate a capable gpu that can render native 4k next gen graphics right? Not cheap. Not saying they're all on spot but the prospect of a cheap $399 hardware is not very promising here.
If navi 20 has RTRT but the rest don't then that could mean a couple things, not specifically hardware based but navi 20 is beefy enough to run it through standard compute.
Or
Hardware optimised which could mean Sony asked for it to be included same way they got RPM from vaga included into 4pro. Which may mean it didn't need to be as powerful.
So that doesn't actually tell us anything about power as we don't know about navi yet even as a basis.

2TB SSD would definitely add a lot to cost. If that's what you think it will have. Not that it was said, but fair that's what you think.

Support for 8k graphics just means it supports hdmi 2.1, it doesn't give any indication of power at all, if every navi gpu doesn't support hdmi 2.1 I'd be very surprised. Did he say what level of graphics it could do at 8k, he didn't even say what it could do at 4k.
So 8k graphics could be very cheap because it doesn't mean anything by itself apart from hdmi spec cable.

The only thing that was demoed was spiderman. Was that at 4k60, 4k120, 4k at all? We don't even know that, what was demoed was not really about the power of the console but about its data streaming capabilities.
Which their very proud of, and maybe for good reason.
AMD hasn't been great with GPUs lately. The only way I can see MS having a more powerful console is if they 1) Went with two chips . A full cpu with 16 cores based on Zen 2 and a separate chip dedicated to graphics based on Navi. Or 2 ) MS paid for a custom chip from AMD perhaps
You say this based on not knowing anything about how powerful the ps5 is though?
Simple example how many TFlops is it?
Speed of CPU?

Whilst I'm happy for Cerny's interview, I think people are putting words in his mouth.
Most of what he said wasn't even ambiguous, which is nice. But he never gave any specs at all.

So looking at today's leak from AdoredTV on the Navi lineup, RX3080 "Navi 10" really caught my attention from its performance and watt. If it's 10-15% faster than Vega 64 "12.66 TF air cooled" then in Vega Tflops it gives us almost exactly 14.2 TF which is inline with the pastebin's leak.
1uzkom.jpg

At 150W TDP it would give us plenty of room for other components, also the whole sale deal from AMD would be much lower than $250. Could this be the answer to the final piece of puzzle from that pastebin leak?

So looking at today's leak from AdoredTV on the Navi lineup, RX3080 "Navi 10" really caught my attention from its performance and watt. If it's 10-15% faster than Vega 64 "12.66 TF air cooled" then in Vega Tflops it gives us almost exactly 14.2 TF which is inline with the pastebin's leak.
1uzkom.jpg

At 150W TDP it would give us plenty of room for other components, also the whole sale deal from AMD would be much lower than $250. Could this be the answer to the final piece of puzzle from that pastebin leak?
Same perf doesn't mean same tfops

If navi 20 has RTRT but the rest don't then that could mean a couple things, not specifically hardware based but navi 20 is beefy enough to run it through standard compute.
Or
Hardware optimised which could mean Sony asked for it to be included same way they got RPM from vaga included into 4pro. Which may mean it didn't need to be as powerful.
So that doesn't actually tell us anything about power as we don't know about navi yet even as a basis.

2TB SSD would definitely add a lot to cost. If that's what you think it will have. Not that it was said, but fair that's what you think.

Support for 8k graphics just means it supports hdmi 2.1, it doesn't give any indication of power at all, if every navi gpu doesn't support hdmi 2.1 I'd be very surprised. Did he say what level of graphics it could do at 8k, he didn't even say what it could do at 4k.
So 8k graphics could be very cheap because it doesn't mean anything by itself apart from hdmi spec cable.

The only thing that was demoed was spiderman. Was that at 4k60, 4k120, 4k at all? We don't even know that, what was demoed was not really about the power of the console but about its data streaming capabilities.
Which their very proud of, and maybe for good reason.

You say this based on not knowing anything about how powerful the ps5 is though?
Simple example how many TFlops is it?
Speed of CPU?

Whilst I'm happy for Cerny's interview, I think people are putting words in his mouth.
Most of what he said wasn't even ambiguous, which is nice. But he never gave any specs at all.
Yes, I know it's wildly open to interpretation it's just the way information flooded onto my monitor and the content description sure made it sounded it's ultra high end:). I'm very susceptible to such way of marketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back