Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy [PS4, 4Pro, XO, XOX, NX]

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
I never played a Crash Bandicoot game, but I was very fortunate to play Crash Team Racing on the PS1 -my best childhood friend, and best friend these days also, had a Megadrive then he got a PS1- which is one of my favourite kart games ever. So I felt like creating a thread on this game.

The game seems to be multi-platform.

http://www.product-reviews.net/2017...t-n-sane-trilogy-on-xbox-one-nintendo-switch/

ZZ4916BA2E.jpg

Are you 100% certain the PS4 version won't be patched?
the question is whether the hardware can handle it graciously, which doesn't seem to be the case. HDR on PS4 is a afterthought. It appeared on the PS4 back in 2016, just to keep up with the times, but was never an original idea from them. Why would they remove the mention of HDR support from the PS4 cover if the console could handle everything? I have a feeling it is too much for the hardware and the PS4 is weak in order to support high resolution and HDR simultaneously.

I'm surprised you could have been on this board for 11 years and think that!

HDR has very little performance impact on games. Many games already have high dynamic range buffers and it's a case of turning that into an SDR range for video output. Replace that tone-mapping step with turning it into an HDR signal suitable for HDR TVs, and that's all there is to it. Adding HDR to a game does require some effort though to get the art right. Uncharted 4 was patched with HDR, and that's a little bit more demanding than Crash Bandicoot, methinks. ;) Similarly Witcher 3 has HDR on PS4. HZD had HDR at release and there's few games more demanding there.

The reason there's no HDR badge on the disc cover is because the game didn't have it at release, so it'd be a lie to say it supports HDR on the cover. That doesn't stop the game getting patched with HDR, which seems fairly likely if Activision are going to the effort for XB1

the question is whether the hardware can handle it graciously, which doesn't seem to be the case. HDR on PS4 is a afterthought. It appeared on the PS4 back in 2016, just to keep up with the times, but was never an original idea from them. Why would they remove the mention of HDR support from the PS4 cover if the console could handle everything? I have a feeling it is too much for the hardware and the PS4 is weak in order to support high resolution and HDR simultaneously.
Actually Xbox requires more coding for HDR than PS4. I can not find a post now, but afaik PS4 does more work automatically.

Actually Xbox requires more coding for HDR than PS4. I can not find a post now, but afaik PS4 does more work automatically.
IIRC, it has to do with ensuring that there's a non-HDR output, which comes in handy for recording, but I'm not sure what other reasons there might be for that TRC.

Back