Proof that Japanese have a bias against Am. products

bbot

Regular
Ever wonder why Xbox sells so badly in Japan. Many people have suggested that Japanese prefer their own domestic products. And that Japanese think American products are of inferior quality to Japanese ones. Such people are usually accused of being racists. Well, I came across this usenet post while browsing soc.culture.japan, with the intent of getting a translation of the "second processor" article. This Japanese clearly calls American products inferior. So there you have it. The Japanese ARE biased against the American Xbox.

http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=...195ad9c0.0310280021.413040@posting.google.com

A sample set of size "1". Clearly statistically significant. What more proof do you need. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

did we need proof?

and what does this prove anyway? that "racism" is the cause of MS failure in Japan? :LOL: :LOL: :rolleyes:

really, nationalistic bias is expectable and exists in every country, but using this as a scapegoat is pathetic...

He might be talking about the products like chocolates and other sweets, which by all accounts are *way* inferior to their European counterparts IMO. :LOL:

Lots of Amerrrrrrrrrrrricans inisists on using the sorry excuse for cars made over there because they are Amerrrrrrrrrican. Same thing.

WTH ?? :oops:

I must say the degradation of this forum is getting really bad. On this front page, so many locked thread :(

Can you really blame Japanese consumers? With the exception of computer products, the average US consumer goods lag in quality.

MfA said:
I dont know any Japanese, but an awfull lot of anime seems ludicrously nationalistic.

How about the hundreds of small and big budget Hollywod movies depicting America as the perfect country, the saviour of the world, of the universe or whatever? :rolleyes:
please, if anyone here is patriotic/nationalistic, then it would have to be the USA.
Blaming "racism" for MS's failure in Japan is pathetic, and it's not a good start for the next generation if they really want to succeed there...

what's their excuse for Europe then? are European people "racist" too? racist toward Americans but not toward Japanese people? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

please, there are many many reasons why MS f**ked up the Japanese market, and "racism" is the last..

MfA said:
I dont know any Japanese, but an awfull lot of anime seems ludicrously nationalistic.
Self-centered yes, but nationalistic? I've lifed 4 weeks in Japan and thats quite urban, I never felt unwanted or alienated. I fact, I was offered help, even without asking for it ... very nice, forward-thinking and polite people. Something I do noticed was a high quality awareness. One example, when I buy a CD in Europe, it feels used, the case scratched from rough shelf-handling, finger-prints all over the disc ... unthinkable in Japan, when you'll buy a CD, you'll get it in a plastic-sleeve and as soon as you remove it, you'll know what I am talking about.

ChryZ said:
when I buy a CD in Europe, it feels used, the case scratched from rough shelf-handling, finger-prints all over the disc ... unthinkable in Japan, when you'll buy a CD, you'll get it in a plastic-sleeve and as soon as you remove it, you'll know what I am talking about.

:LOL: Where the hell do u buy ur CD's in Europe????? never heard of something like that!!!
I bought hundreds of CD's in the UK and Italy, and they were almost always wrapped in the original plastic thing and if they weren't, then NEVER have i encountered finger prints on the CD. I would return them straight away if that was the case...

MfA said:

Dunno if it is nationalistic, but it sure as hell is poor.

Japan will pay for flooding the earth with it! :devilish:

Cheers
Gubbi

Going off topic indeed, anyway ...

I have been ordering things online frequently from US, UK and Japan these years. Mostly from Japan and US.

Japanese domestic goods are of the highest quality in my experience.

No experience about UK as I haven't been there yet. US is fine, but not as strict as Japan in quality.

And for movies/anime, US is as bad as Japan for being nationalist to my eyes. IMHO, both have bloated ego. But I don't see that as a problem as that is a natural thing when people love their country.

exactly,

MS did not fail in japan because "they're american"...

the Xbox failed there (and everywhere else really) because:

-it didnt provide a particularly different experience from PS2 (or GC), therefore failing to pull the casual gamer away from the dominant PS2 presence

-focused on graphics features, without thinking about what japanese people like, such as good games, RPG's, tacky japanese games (all those games that get released only in japan and never reach the outside world because they're too "japanese")

-it looked like crap in a small japanese living room (compared to slicker designs)

many reasons.... the fact that it's an american machine only confirmed that in the eyes of the world, america really thinks "bigger is better". whether it's true or not, it doesn't matter...

bbot said:
Ever wonder why Xbox sells so badly in Japan. Many people have suggested that Japanese prefer their own domestic products. And that Japanese think American products are of inferior quality to Japanese ones. Such people are usually accused of being racists. Well, I came across this usenet post while browsing soc.culture.japan, with the intent of getting a translation of the "second processor" article. This Japanese clearly calls American products inferior. So there you have it. The Japanese ARE biased against the American Xbox.

http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=...195ad9c0.0310280021.413040@posting.google.com

Japanese don't buy American consoles because they're American. Americans spill French wine because the French government didn't approve of the Iraq War. Europeans give Americans wrong directions because they invaded Iraq. Hey, there are stupid all over the world, nobody should be excepted... ;)
As a famous Austrian playwright once wrote: "Nothing conveys more the feeling of infinity than stupidity." :cry:

hupfinsgack said:
As a famous Austrian playwright once wrote: "Nothing conveys more the feeling of infinity than stupidity." :cry:

reminds me of a quote from Einstein someone around here has in his signature...

Back