iPad 2

mzl.unysfzqw.1024x1024-65.jpg

mzl.nfcimcvz.1024x1024-65.jpg

If iPad 2 launch titles look this good, I can't wait to see how far the graphics can go in a years time. Those are the shots for Real Racing 2 HD in it's iTunes product page, hopefully that is actually achievable in game, in real time on the iPad 2.

In regards to the CPU clock speed, is the clock speed dynamic? That would explain the varied results that reviews have quoted anywhere from 800MHz to 900MHz and Apple's specced 1GHz.

For memory, previous rumours by "analysts" were saying that the iPad 2 would be moving from 800MHz memory to 1066MHz memory. That clock speed change while remaining at 64-bit could probably yield the difference from iPad to iPad 2 we are seeing. Although to get 1066MHz from a 250MHz base clock would require a very weird multiplier and I don't think it's every been confirmed what the original iPad's RAM clock speed was.

lol, people in iTunes are complaining that Real Racing 2 HD looks worse than Real Racing 2 in iPad 1, and they feel ripped off.

lol, people in iTunes are complaining that Real Racing 2 HD looks worse than Real Racing 2 in iPad 1, and they feel ripped off.
Compared to Real Racing 2 on iPhone 4? Since the iPad has a higher resolution and less RAM that would make sense. Just like complaints of missing effects on the iPad in Epic Citadel and Infinity Blade.

Compared to Real Racing 2 on iPhone 4? Since the iPad has a higher resolution and less RAM that would make sense. Just like complaints of missing effects on the iPad in Epic Citadel and Infinity Blade.

No, they're claiming that Real Racing 2 HD in iPad 1 looks worse than the "old" Real Racing 2 in the same iPad 1.

No, they're claiming that Real Racing 2 HD in iPad 1 looks worse than the "old" Real Racing 2 in the same iPad 1.
Well there is still a small resolution difference between running an iPhone game and an iPad native game, but otherwise the conspiracy theory will have to be that they are exaggerating the difference between the iPad and iPad 2.

From the Real Racing 2 HD announcement:

Players on iPad 2 are in for a spectacular visual treat: full-screen anti-aliasing, enhanced reflections and incredibly detailed objects and surfaces, as well as a completely revamped Castellona track with extreme quality textures and models. Support for iPad 2′s gyroscope delivers unprecedented levels of steering precision.

A flexible save system that allows you to transfer your progress between Real Racing 2 HD and Real Racing 2 means you can race the way you want. Seamless multiplayer with all versions on every platform guarantees a rich pool of competition is always just a few taps away.
http://firemint.com/2011/real-racing-2-hd-for-ipad-out-now-on-the-app-store/

Firemint didn't have access or prior knowledge of the iPad 2 specs. So IMHO it's quite possible that the graphics will get even better with future updates after they get their hands on the real hardware.

Well, I look forward to seeing footage of the iPad 2 version. This is what I could find for the original iPad, which may be unflattering, but more close to what I've seen from other titles:

EDIT: the iPhone 4 version does seem to look better:

I was expecting someoe to rush to download the GLbenchmark for ipad2 and upload the score, but no sign of it yet. Has it been disabled for the ipad2 ?

I was expecting someoe to rush to download the GLbenchmark for ipad2 and upload the score, but no sign of it yet. Has it been disabled for the ipad2 ?
I don't think the iPad 2 is in the hands of the general public yet. It's only available for pre-order online now and won't be in stores until 5PM. I don't think most Apple designated early access reviewers are that concerned about testing the GPU instead focusing on general fit and finish. Or perhaps Apple's reviewers notes specifically didn't allow it.

I don't think the iPad 2 is in the hands of the general public yet. It's only available for pre-order online now and won't be in stores until 5PM. I don't think most Apple designated early access reviewers are that concerned about testing the GPU instead focusing on general fit and finish. Or perhaps Apple's reviewers notes specifically didn't allow it.

If AT is anything to go by, the reviewers will be running benchmarks as useless as Coremark or Linpack. And AT is one of the better review sites, mind you.

I would have liked to see a side-by-side comparison between the iPad 2 and the Xoom. None of the reviews I saw had the two devices together in their photos or videos. Guess the early reviewers weren't allowed to.

iFixit iPad 2 Wi-Fi Teardown (in progress):
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad-2-Wi-Fi-Teardown/5071/1

- Battery: 3.8V, 6930 mAh, 25 watt-hour Li-Ion Polymer
- Touchscreen: Broadcom BCM5973KFBGH, Broadcom BCM5974 CKFBGH
- WiFi/Bluetooth: Broadcom BCM43291HKUBC
- Apple 1GHz A5 Processor (APL0498 33950130, K3PE4E400B-XGCI, N3556N02 1107 A, ECl035E1 1104)
- NAND Flash: Toshiba TH58NVG7D2FLA89 16GB
- Power management chip: Apple 343S0542
- Texas Instruments CD3240B0 11AZ4JT G1 touchscreen line driver
- S6T2MLC N33C50V Power Management IC
- Audio: Apple 338S0940 A0BZ1101 SGP
- Gyroscope: AGD8 2103
- Accelerometer: LIS331DLH

lDUhbAFUujnoK5oK.medium

BQaGOneYNuSIZl3a.medium

Last edited by a moderator:
'Infinity Blade' Comparison – iPad vs iPad 2:
http://toucharcade.com/2011/03/11/infinity-blade-comparison-ipad-vs-ipad-2/

Basically the iPad 2 got all the features of the iPhone 4 version. Hard to expect more, the developers had just one week.
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2011/03/11/ipad-2-360-infinity-blade-dev/

Chair gave an interview about this iPad 2 update and are surprising frank in saying that despite all the complaints about the lack of Retina Display that is actually "the best news for gamers ever". It obviously provides more power for effects rather than pixel pushing. Perhaps with that quote, Apple can sell the lack of Retina Display as a feature. :smile:

And Chair also provides a console comparison quote, which is the type of thing that always draws attention. They are now forecasting handheld parity with the PS3/360 within the next two years compared to their previous estimates of 3-5 years.

I'm thinking compared to the NGP, next year's iPad and Apple A6 SoC, which will be available pretty closely if the NGP launches holiday 2010, will already be comparable in raw hardware due to 4 x Cortex A9 or 2 x Cortex A15 and SGX543MP4, with NGP still holding an advantage due to the ability to program bare metal. The NGP will be exceeded by handhelds the year after that though.

I'm thinking compared to the NGP, next year's iPad and Apple A6 SoC, which will be available pretty closely if the NGP launches holiday 2010, will already be comparable in raw hardware due to 4 x Cortex A9 or 2 x Cortex A15 and SGX543MP4, with NGP still holding an advantage due to the ability to program bare metal. The NGP will be exceeded by handhelds the year after that though.
Maybe with tablets ins Q1/2013, but I think smartphones have to wait until 22/20nm becomes available.

Maybe with tablets ins Q1/2013, but I think smartphones have to wait until 22/20nm becomes available.

High-end smartphones have been getting the same SoCs as high-end ARM tablets.
Why would that change for the next 2 years?

Back