Should the SEGA DC and Saturn have launched with these alternative designs?

Better yet, how about an Xbox with 512 MB RAM, like the Xbox-based Chihiro arcade boards :)

My ideal Xbox would've had a 1.5 GHz Intel Pentium 4 CPU with a custom Vector Unit for extra floating point performance, coupled with a full GeForce 4 Ti 4600 GPU @ 300 MHz and 512 MB of DDR2, launching in late 2002.

In this senareo, the PS2 would've also have been more powerful, using 18nm or 15nm tech, with about 3x the performance in the Emotion Engine meaning 18.6 GFLOPs, launching in late 2001. The graphics would've been Evans & Sutherland RealIMAGE tech, scaled up massively ala Graphics Synthesizer, thus meaning lots of pixel pipelines but also an equal amount of texture units and 12 MB eDRAM. Main memory would be 128 MB Rambus RDRAM and seperate 32 MB external graphics memory tightly coupled to the E&S GPU. Why do I choose E&S RealIMAGE tech for PS2's GPU? Because it's a rival of Lockheed Martin's Real3D tech. Also because NAMCO used older E&S graphics in their high-end arcade boards. Also because it would be good if Sony had a good graphics partner. Sega had Lockheed, Nintendo had Silicon Graphics.

I think you mean 180nm and 150nm.

They probably would have been better off avoiding Intel. Go with some MIPS or IBM chip.

amd would have been a better choice. an athlon 64 would have been good or were we still on athlon xps ? either way better than the celeron they used

looks really good, maybe the backgrounds are prerendered movies...we'll see when more info/videos surface...but i would really love to be proven wrong :)

Back