Massive CME hits us today...

Albuquerque

Red-headed step child
Veteran
http://news.discovery.com/space/incoming-the-sun-unleashes-cme-at-earth.html

This sequence of events led to a huge magnetic bubble of plasma being blasted into space. As the eruption was on the Earth-facing side of the sun, the CME is heading right for us -- see the SOHO video of the CME. We can expect its arrival on Aug. 3.

Skywatchers will be on high alert that day as when that CME intermingles with the Earth's magnetosphere, we can expect some intense aurorae around polar regions.

Cool stuff brewing :)

Yes I was looking forward to that, but it was cloudy last night + is pissing down ATM hopefully we'll get a glimpse in the upcoming days I heard it'll be a round for a while

At least we're still in 2010, because otherwise I would have had to concluded we were all gonna die! :(

I haven't noticed anything. :)

Ah, gotcha. Well, if you happen to wander past a TV while the news is on, or see a news stand with papers displayed, or happen to go surfing past a website that hosts news of the day -- you'll see it :)

Ah, gotcha. Well, if you happen to wander past a TV while the news is on, or see a news stand with papers displayed, or happen to go surfing past a website that hosts news of the day -- you'll see it :)
Oh, I see people talking about this and blowing it out of proportion on the news. I have not noticed anything, you know, important.

No, I won't, because it isn't there.

This is a total non-event.

The only (and I mean ONLY) place I've seen it even mentioned is on Wikipedia's front page today, where there was a small blurb about it in the news summary section.

:???:

I think you're both reading more into it than I (or the news) was suggesting... It's cool stuff brewing, not world-ending _xxx_ sort of stuff. Aurora Borealis being visible for like the northern third of the United States was cool stuff. Having the SOHO system functioning and actually getting good pictures of it is cool stuff. Being able to have a three-day advance notice of the event (which we've NEVER had) is absolutely cool stuff.

At least I think it was cool stuff, maybe it wasn't cool to you unless all our satellites crash into the atmosphere, the thermosphere burns off, the internet goes down, riots, storms, earthquakes, fires, mudslides, social breakdown and mass suicides?

Sorry, I just didn't find it cool and the way some of these news pieces made this out to be a scary thing annoyed me.

Albuquerque said:
.... ... satellites crash into the atmosphere, the thermosphere burns off, the internet goes down, riots, storms, earthquakes, fires, mudslides, social breakdown and mass suicides?

Cool! ;)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/08/05/plasma_storm_update/

UK. I haven't seen anything. Too cloudy & I might be too far south anyway. One more chance according to the article.

According to the CfA boffins, further ion downpours can be expected at around 5pm this evening, then at 1am tomorrow morning, then at around 7am tomorrow (all times UK summer). For Brit readers fortunate enough to have cloudless skies (the forecast says that a lot of eastern England may be in luck), the 1am gust offers the only remaining chance of any visible auroral action.

I am from a place north of the Arctic Circle so Aurora Borealis is not really special for me, but I can see how people not accustomed to it may find it cool. :)

I think you're both reading more into it than I (or the news) was suggesting...
I wasn't reading anything into it. I was just stating fact, which is that basically no media are talking about this...which is to be expected, since it's not really newsworthy stuff.

Back