Song Summoner - Squeenix Ipod/Iphone game

PARANOiA

Veteran
I first heard about this on 1Up Yours over the weekend. Square released a cheap ($4.99 USD) SRPG for Ipods and Iphones called Song Summoner. It's apparently quite light, with a fun twist being you can create characters out of songs on your Ipod.

Has anyone played this, or got an opinion? I'm thinking I may pick this up if it's any good at all.

Cheers

Edit: and the only review I could find: http://arstechnica.com/journals/thu...e-review-song-summoner-the-unsing-heroes-ipod

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, it's just an "iPod video" game (5G, Classic, or Nano), and doesn't have an iPhone or iPod Touch version at this point, which is news I'm holding out for.

I suppose it shouldn't really matter, though... $5 is impulse level, especially for games from real developers, so I might as well give my 5G something other than Peggle and Phase to play with. ^_^ It's just harder to rationalize, what with the shiny new platform out there...

Interesting you mentioned it doesn't work on Iphone/Touch... I thought it was discussed that it did.

Anyway, I picked it up since it's basically a disposable amount of money (I spend more on coffee every day :p) and haven't really got into any serious battles yet. I've just begun making my army, and find the character generator a little bizarre.

I put in the following songs and got some strange combinations:
  • Augie March - Just Passing Through (drum heavy/guitar song): C-rated Mage
  • Radiohead - Idioteque: Soldier/Warrior
  • Aphex Twin - Window Licker: Archer (???) I have no idea but I laughed. The game guide/"soul master" laughed and said "I don't think this guy's too hot, but it's your choice!"
  • Belle and Sebastian - Beautiful: A-ranked Warrior. I don't get it! Such a peaceful song.
  • DJ Shadow: Party Pack G (that's the "bizarro world" live mix song) - A-Ranked warrior
I'm guessing it's highly random, but it's fun just popping in songs much like Audiosurf was.

Back