PS3 Strategy/Confidence Retrospective

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you don't play online though, Silver is comparable to PS3's situation. Though for 'hardcore' gamers the XB360 they compare with PS3 should include the online price if that's a feature they want, just as if you want WiFi you need to add that price.

Also, it's not like you need to subscribe to XBlive every month of every year, not everyone plays online year round. Instead you can wait until a game comes along that you actually want to play online, and then buy a 1month ($8) or 3month ($20) card.

Adding $60/year to the cost comparison of 360 vs PS3 is only valid if you personally are in the minority of gamers which will subscribe to online play for 12 months a year. You can't apply it to all prospective buyers.

Also a point of clarification is that the free Silver account, only allows some MMO's to play online, and even then MMO's like "final Fantasy" have there own subscription fee!, you need a GOLD membership to play ALL online multiplayers games like Halo.

To me the Silver account is meaningless, truly. more or less you get a gamer tag, and can download demo's but that's it.

To compare each other, Sony's free online service you have to look at the MS GOLD memebrship to get about the same features.

I merely corrected your numbers, because you mis-stated them twice, also I do not plan on engaging in any versus discussion between the online platforms.

Also, at the launch there were few if any 20GB units (which is the unit I wanted), so it was really $400 vs $600, it would still take you 4 years of paying for Live before you equalled your initial hardware investment in the PS3 (which would actually put that at the 5 year mark for the 360 since Sony came a year afterward) and here in the US with our credit based culture, many would rather spread that $200 over time than pay up-front.
[jest] That also assumes PSN stays free and since Sony PR had ridiculed most of MSFTs strategies pre-launch and then Corp turns around and emulates, well, you never know[/jest] :p

As someone who downloads TV shows (always) and movies (infrequently) I would still see value in the free subscription, but then, I see value in Gamerscore and Achievements as well, I like chatting with my former co-workers (congrats on going gold on the last sku!), and all the other stuff that you find pointless.

It isn't a big deal, its my money and $50/year doesn't even come close to breaking my bank. My IEEE membership is about that, my ACLU is more, my MacTech subscription is more, .Mac costs me $100/year, I buy the collectors editions of games and movies (with movies I buy the directors, then the super edition, then the super-duper editition, and then the NO we really mean it this time this is the UberUltimateElitisist Edition!!!). In other words some people just don't care about what it costs because they see the value in it, AMAZINGLY just like the PS3 or any other thing. [/tangent]

I don't know if I classify Sony as arrogant or bold, but whichever you deem them, hurting is where they are right now; Playstation fans need to start buying some games!

Last edited by a moderator:
Now what if $400 was Sony's launch-price target, from 2000 up to late 2005, and it was only closer to launch (12 months) that the high cost became known for sure? Prior to that let's say forecasts went from 'we can comfortably hit $400' to 'we are confident to hit $400' to 'well we are having issues, but we should be able to work this out' and finally to '65nm just isn't happening, and these damned blue diodes are a pig. Sorry but we can't make $400. More like $600.' This isn't an unlikely situation.

I strongly disagree that Sony's initial research lead them to a $400 price tag with EVERYTHING included. At least not without taking on huge losses.

Why?

CD initial price point
DVD initial price point

and now:
HD-DVD initial price point
BRD initial price point

New optical media/drives have always been expensive. And BRD in comparison to HD-DVD was warned to be more expensive across the board.

Added to this is an included hdd
and an exotic new architecture in Cell

Sorry, I just don't buy that they thought all these technologies would be in the box for under $400. If they did, again, it's a severe case of "overconfidence".

Sony didn't walk into "the perfect storm", they created it.

They never intended it solely as a videogaming machine...

Indeed... and from a CE perspective, it has sold very well.
From a PS perspective, it has been a failure.

This all leads back to the initial argument of: "what was Sony's intentions with ps3?".

IMO, their intention was clear:
Kill off HD-DVD by including BRD in ps3 (regardless of price) and let the PS brand carry the initial load to sway support for BRD movies. Afterward, they would have sold enough BRD drives to bring the BOM down to comperable PS levelsand compete again in the games sector.

"what was Sony's intentions with ps3?"

The PS3 was intended as a trojan horse for the BRD cause (obviously). SONY realised that the PS brand had gathered a strong following, and were hoping this would be strong enough for people to see through the high price tag, or at least stay in people's minds as a viable option 'till they can afford it (in a few years' time).

I think it's wrong to call them 'arrogant'! If they had a machine that they could have sold for, say, $400, but decided to sell it at $600 because of the PS brand, then that would've been arrogant. I just don't think could do anything more to reduce the PS3 price - even if they tried.

The decision to include the BRD was always going to hurt the PS3 initially due to its high price. But they understand that they have much more to gain should BRD become successful. And this is a mutual beneficiary deal. The PS3 is taking a hit right now in order to help establish the BRD as the standard. Should BRD achieve its goal, then it, in return, will help the PS3 down the line when people are looking to pick up a cheap BRD player - like the PS2.

Interesting, so Nintendo was arrogant for initially selling Wii at a profit?

Thats not what he said. Wii is cheap and affordable for anyone to buy even if it is sold at a profit. When you price something way too high than it's cost of production though thinking you can exploit the consumer, because you believe you can fool him, and that he wont react at all, then yeah that arrogant.

Sony didnt do that though. They tried to find a way to increase the adoption of the BR, baring lots of risk in the process, and sold the console a lot lot cheaper than what the product costs them to produce. Even if the console sold gazzillions, these sales would have also generated a gazzilion of losses. I dont see anything arrogant about that. If they were arrogant about their pricing they would have sold a bad quality device for $800

Instead Sony put lots of expensive features in it, made a resistant high quality device, sold it at big losses, thinking that the consumer would benefit from it and as a result them in the process in the long run. The vision was obvious since it was unveiled at E3 2005. It was supposed to be an all in one device and succeeded at putting the right things in it. They failed at marketing it.

If we take all the high tech features presented in the device, it is impressive what it is in there and sold at such a "low" price. The general consumer might benefit a lot from it in the long run. They didnt see though that consoles in general are best known to gamers and not the general consumer, and gamers react to prices. The general consumer probably didnt turn his eyes towards it at all. Sony probably didnt expect that but then again they didnt try well enough. And they didnt expect gamers to not react as positively to the features, justifying the price.

It is hard to market a console in such a manner and make everyone see it, recognize it's features and want it.

They failed at marketing it.

You really think it was a failure of marketing?

I rather think they misread the markets ability and/or desire to drop $600 on a shiny box with little to no media available for it (games or BR). I'm not sure how you market that better, polish it up all you like with fancy advertising its always been hard to sell people on future features.

That's bluster though. If Sony were terrified of Wii, they'd say to the public 'it's no problem'. You wouldn't expect that to be different from any company. What they say in public doesn't necessarily have any bearing on how they are internally

This is true for some things, but in the case of Sony and the PS3 i dont believe it one bit.

I rather think they misread the markets ability and/or desire to drop $600 on a shiny box with little to no media available for it (games or BR). I'm not sure how you market that better, polish it up all you like with fancy advertising its always been hard to sell people on future features.

I agree. If anything Sony's marketing has aided greatly in selling the PS3 as well as it has. For the first few months they had people buying it on Console sex appeal alone.

Man, you guys need to dust off your thesauruses. The word is Optimistic.

No we can argue what fueled that optimism.

:LOL:

For the first few months they had people buying it on Console sex appeal alone.

Yeah you got that one right, Blu-Ray is pure sex and so was the GT:HD demo. Some people actually bought the Console because they had a use for it, amazing i know :)

No we can argue what fueled that optimism.

Arrogance :yep2:

I think in the end Sony misjudged when MS would release their console and, like most in the silicon industry, had initially drawn up plans that were too aggressive. Their insistance on Blu-ray sticks out as the most "optimisitic" element of their plan.

For the PS3...
• Blu-ray was not a mass market technology with a streamlined pricing model, impacting PS3 price points
• Blu-ray made the inclusion of a HDD, a longterm costly addition, desirable
• Blu-ray wasn't a consumer proven technology with strong demand, offering little compelling consumer desire to pay a premium for the feature
• Blu-ray wasn't prime-time: HDMI 1.3 wasn't finalized, BDR releases were pushed back, diodes were in short supply and very expensive, etc resulting in the console's delay

For Consumers...
• Blu-ray was expensive
• Blu-ray was not an industry standard and faced an ugly format war with HD DVD, Digital Distribution, and DVD
• Blu-ray had little compelling content compared to its primary competition (DVD) and was splitting big new releases with HD DVD
• Blu-ray requires an HDTV to get benefit from (HDTVs being a smaller portion of the market)
• Blu-ray offers fewer consumer advantages over DVD than DVD did over VHS
• Blu-ray came loaded with copy protection concerns

For developers...
• Blu-ray's major benefit, capacity, was a low priority issue due to the cost of content generation and the fact DVD had been servicing 2 megapixel gaming for years without issue; solid workarounds (disk spanning, HDD caching, etc) also existed to address these issues
• The inclusion of the HDD was a nice addition, but the impact on consumer caused the by the price was negative and, as the Xbox1 demonstrated, a HDD had yet to deliver a significant platform distinguishing feature in the console market
• The delays caused by Blu-ray impacted the lead SKU for next gen titles as the 360 was already present on the market, giving publishers a new revenue stream now to invest in

There are more points, but it was pretty clear in early 2005 (when a number of us made these very same points) that Blu-ray wasn't going to be the major selling point that DVD was in 2000.

• In 2000 DVD was the market standard--DVD players had robust industry support and had generated considerable consumer adoption.
• DVD wasn't significantly more expensive than CD technology and was quickly dropping in price, was widely available on the market and caused no platform release delays.
• DVD offered consumers transparant benefits--better image quality on their existing TVs, better audio, special content, smaller package, instant chapter browsing and more usable fast forwarding, etc.

The same points can be made about CD technology--it wasn't affordable enough in the SNES/Genesis days, but was ready when the PS1/SS arrived. Sony had wisely rode two proven and/or quickly emerging main stream technologies with the PS1/PS2. Blu-ray was a departure from this strategy and was aimed at riding the success of the PlayStation brand into market superiority. Never mind the fact the jump from CD to DVD (7x-13x as much data for SL/DL) was quite a bit larger than we are seeing from first generation Blu-ray disks (3x jump over DL DVD) or the other concerns above. Or more importantly that all the trumpeting and chest beating in the face of the HD competition, HD DVD, that Blu-ray's major benefits (like capacity) have preven pretty much irrelevant for the HD movie market. HD DVD videos look just as good (early on they were better looking due to codec issues). So HD DVD had enough space to meet the desired purpose--and did so at a lower price. They can now be found for under $200 and major studios have jumped off the Blu-ray ship.

I do find a bit of irony in the entire situation. For years people got kicks out of berating Microsoft for subsidizing their Xbox platform as a trojan into a new market (the living room). The lack of noise in this regards to those same complainers about the same strategy by Sony... well, I find it quite hillarious!

Not that I have a problem with what Sony is doing. I am not investing in HD optical technology because I believe it is antiquated and Digital Distribution will be my next format choice. Blu-ray is Sony's last major optical technology oppurtunity. And IF the strategy had worked

• Sony's PS3 would have a major selling point over the competition
• Blu-ray would have tens of millions of consumers within a couple years to propel the format and force consumer/publisher adoption
• Sony would ride the HD wave, selling tons of HDTVs, HD consoles, and HD media players
• Sony would reap a huge windfall of royalties for Blu-ray and PS3 media

The problem is you need 2006 sales to get 2009 sales. Sony lost any momentum/brand advantage in 2006 by totally misjudging the market's ability/desire to sustain a platform with a high price tag and little compelling media content (games or videos).

Sony badly needed either killer content in 2006 or a reasonable price ($400) with the expectation of potential. They lacked both and their competition moved in.

Sure, NOW Sony has that $400 price, but HD DVD is half that. The Wii and 360 offer gaming at substantially lower price tags. And in the gaming space the competition has the lead in compelling content and in the movie market HD DVD has made some major moves.

And in the gaming space Blu-ray continues to find it difficult to justify itself in the gaming world. For all the self praise and boasting of content size, the fact is Blu-ray based games aren't longer--and they don't have better graphics regardless of the Sony evangalists. The best MS is offering on DVD arguably has been better graphically than what has been seen on Blu-ray. Nevermind the skyrocking development costs and the expense of actually filling a Blu-ray disk with actual game content, Blu-ray has failed to justify itself in its first year.

Down the road it may, but that is a poor console market strategy. These aren't PCs with a small, niche, power user mentality. Console consumers are demanding in regards to price and benefit. If they don't see the benefit they won't pay hundreds of dollars for it. If Blu-ray begins justifying itself in 2008 with a couple titles that show major differences to consumers, selling point worthy differences in games, and causes a market shift in 2009... hold the press! 2010 may see the first 4th generation 3D consoles.

And that is what it comes down to. Blu-ray, on a cost basis, offers low bang-for-buck this generation. Blu-ray was too early. Sony waiting on Blu-ray resulted in too much PS2 development focus. Instead of trimming the already impressive PS2 revenue to capture longterm PS3 revenue, Sony rode the PS2 too long with the hopes of their brand sustaining a weak software lineup and a fledgling HD media format with tough competition and little compelling consumer benefit to the majority of consumers who lack HDTVs.

It didn't help matters that Nintendo was making a huge push for casual consumers at half the retail price with disruptive technology and Microsoft was courting developers with better solutions to priority issues (like development complexity) and hit the market first, cheaper, with competitive hardware.

Sony needed more contingency plans and needed better risk analysis. It was pretty clear to me that Sony was 1 generation too early for this sort of market move. If the PS3 was a Cell/RSX console at $400 in 2005 and Sony had shifted appropriate development support to the PS3 ahead of time they would have crushed MS and would have been in a much better position to fend off Nintendo. Sony could have upsold in 2007 a PS3+Blu-ray combo (no Blu-ray games) as a nice "Elite" SKU.

And in 2011 with MS out of the market (RROD and a competitive PS3 launch would have killed them) and Nintendo not focused on being the living room media hub, Sony could have realized their vision as a home super computing standard and moved the market outside of gaming and into a more broad entertainment/basic home computing/social platform.

And Sony would have the primary gateway for Digital Distribution.

Sony was simply overconfident in their brand, overestimated their mass market appeal with premium pricing, underestimated their competition, and carried an air of confidence (E3 2005 being a great example) that consumers would just jump on it because it was the next PlayStation. They expected all the warts, notably of Blu-ray (but development difficulty with the PS3 design in general), to be trivialized much the same way some of the PS2 issues were. The diminishing importance of the Japanese market (and shift in gaming preference) and the one year Microsoft head start destroyed the basis for that hope and ultimately showed poor planning with little fallback plan.

Interestingly, I think in the process of the 3 console releases we have learned more about consumers than we have about Sony, MS, and Nintendo. The PS3 has faced difficult times because Sony misunderstood consumers. The question is how will these companies respond to this knowledge--are they each willing to face their demons to meet consumer desire? Or will they continue to use their platforms as trojans for their broader corporate strategies? Sony has showed us that consumer demand has to be the priority in planning.

And how does this differ from what I said?

In Retrospective, I would redesign and delay PS3 till end of 2008. What they are trying to do, the technology and price point just wasn't there. More importantly most consumers aren't ready.

I would retool and update the appearance of PS2 to compete with Wii. Pack in eyetoy, motion control, online, hard disk, some games and compete with the Wii. And prepare the online network for PS3.

If they are going to design PS3 around Blu-ray and Cell, do it properly. 512 MB of segmented memory isn't going to be enough to showcase Blu-ray. And what about Cell, investing in massive parallel processors, only to deliver it with one core disable. Why bother.

In the end they were including rush technology that are too expensive and held back either by implementation or other components. They might as well include something lesser and consumers won't be able to tell a difference. All the budget went to those technologies and not much for anything else and $600 price tag.

Including the extra Hardware BC, must be the joke of the industry. That's just incompetent. It should be a case study for engineering design screw up. Good thing someone had some sense and remove them. But whoever greenlighted RSX must really wanted to sabotage the PS3. It was clear it didn't meet the requirement.

Well I don't think PS3 will ever recover from this, it will be distant 3rd place. Sooner or later third parties will be dropping support. Well, next gen might come sooner than expected, hopefully with a better product.

I strongly disagree that Sony's initial research lead them to a $400 price tag with EVERYTHING included. At least not without taking on huge losses. Why?
In reverse order...

and an exotic new architecture in Cell
Cost of Cell is primarily a function of die size, which is primarily a function of process. If Sony expected 65nm to be available early enough (and we know they did from executive comments), and indeed the industry as a whole was expecting it to be around earlier than it has taken, then the chip price was predictable - it was designed to fit a cost envelope that would work in a $400 console (see the current $400 model). The choice of a redundant SPE shows they weren't going in blind to costs. The problem in predicting process shrinks is that they're just not very predictable! Lots of problems arise, more so the smaller you go. But if your expectations were 65nm in early 2006 along with the rest of the industry and you weren't launching until later 2006, you might consider yourself unlucky to have 65nm unavailable then en masse, rather than ill advised or over-optimistic.
Added to this is an included hdd
HDD adds ~$20. That's the difference between $400 and $420. It has noteworthy benefits both for games and in selling download content, so I can't see this in any way a bad idea. When the consoles are at the $150 level and you feel your $170 because of HDD puts you at a disadvantage, than there's an argument against it, but I don't see an argument against it at the high price. If PS3 launched with 65nm and BRD at $420, would you be complaining? Would sales be severely impacted?
BRD initial price point
Without the papers and whatnot Sony would have access to, I don't know what the expectations were or why. However I don't think the correlation between BRD and previous discs is instant proof costs were gonna be stratospheric when PS3 launched.

CD launched in late 1982. PlayStation launched in 1995, 13 years later, and CD technology was viable, having dropped in price from the exclsively expensive $900 (which needs correcting for 1982 prices) CD player to be useable in a $300 console.

DVD launched early 1997. PS2 released early 2000, 3 years later, and DVD was viable, having dropped in price the exclusively expensive $1500+ DVD players to be usable in a $300 console.

BRD launched in April 2003 with the first PC drives, ~4 years before PS3 was to release. It had about the same time-frame to make the same massive price drops as DVD.

Now I know what you're thinking! "DVD was a mass produced item which drives costs down!" Well cost reduction isn't a matter of selling units, but making improvements in the manufacturing process. While you're making units, you're learning and improving, which is why costs drop over time. But you can make improvements without selling loads if you're investing in RnD and are getting useful production experience even on the small scale. Also important is that the key drive technologies are well known and understood. The cost reduction of DVD was vastly superior to that of CD, and that's not surprising considering improvements in overall technology. I mean, CD launched the same year as the Sinclair Spectrum (Timex 2000) and the 286! It was hardly a time of 'high technology'. DVD was developed in a period of Pentium computers. As technology has advanced in all fields, it has sped up research and understanding into manufacturing, which is why technology is increasing at an exponential rate. You would expect new technologies to improve faster on average now than yesteryear as long as there aren't bottlenecks like the laws of thermodynamic. The principles of BRD aren't far removed from a 20 year old technology. It appears the major cost is in the blue laser diode. If Sony could secure cheap production of these diodes, the drive wouldn't be too expensive. Thus expecting the drive to be costly because it's new doesn't seem valid to me. More expensive than existing techs, yes. But you need to consider what is making it more expensive and what impact that has, and what expectations there for improvements.

Looking at the current state of the blue laser market, we see that costs have dropped significantly. Sony's choices have led to a $400 price-point, only 10 months later than we'd have hoped. If Sony were expecting this to be the situation in early 2007, and they intended to bite the bullet and take significant costs on the earliest units, they could have launched at $400, which places the need for cost reductions as only being some 6-8 months earlier than they happened. It's not impossible, or even that unlikely, that one major unpredictable hiccup could set them back 6 months. The expectations for a...$100 drive could have been high right up until months before launch. Thus in 2000 when Cell was a dream and the protoype BRD drives were out, the expectation could have been a $400 console with both in late 2006, and right up until mid 2005 that could have looked a likely prospect.

Sony didn't walk into "the perfect storm", they created it.
I agree, they created, or rather chose, they're current situation. But the choices weren't necessarily overoptimistic. It al depends on probable outcomes. If there was a lottery with a $100 ticket and a 1:100 chance of winning $1000, you'd say anyone entering and expecting to win was being overoptimistic, right? But if you were offered a $100 ticket with a 9:10 chance of winning $200, you wouldn't be overoptimistic. In fact if you didn't win, it was probably right to enter anyway as the chances were so high, but you were unlucky. If the chances of Sony making $400 at launch were 10,000:1, it was a bad move. If they were 50:50, perhaps not so. Those odds we just don't have, but I don't think they were all very much against as you do. Probably as late as 2005, the idea of a $400 PS3 with 65nm parts and affordable BRD drive could have looked quite plausible. As it was the technology was running 10 months behind schedule, but you can't foresee these things, and I doubt it's economically viable to plan for them either. 'Contingency plans' certainly isn't a common business practice! Products are launched on all the evaluation and research the companies invest in, and then sink or swim. When they start sinking the company runs around trying to keep it afloat with whatever things it can - price drops, marketing, quick redesigns - or they just plain give up. As I see it Sony had two option - 1) Launch at $600 and pray those price reductions that they knew were coming would come quickly, or 2) Postpone PS3's launch until it was $400. Either choice places them at a disadvantage in some areas. It's easy to say now 'they should have designed a cheaper console' but we don't know what their reasoning process was or cost-projections, and we don't know that they weren't targeting a cheaper device.

In fact we can look at MS and see them in a similar situation. Their design was a 'cheap' and powerful box, but where Sony anticipated lower costs than they managed, MS anticipated higher reliability than they managed. MS's hardware choices led to a system that at the low price kept breaking, and that's cost them something like $1 billion. Are we to say that MS should have known that Xenon+Xenos in that box was going to push the engineering limits of their components until they popped, and they chose to do that anyway to get a head-start on the market? Or do we think that their forecasts, which were looking at reliability rather than costs, were just wrong but which couldn't easily be predicted? The upside for MS is that despite having lost a lot of money, they've managed to get market share. However if they valued reliability over cost, and made sure their system wouldn't break down more than the norm regardless of system cost, then chances are XB360 would be more expensive.

It's all a trade between expectations and targets, costs and demands, with the inevitable problems there to keep you on your toes. It's not possible to design a system with cutting-edge hardware without having to worry about issues and costs somewhere along the line. The only other option is to play it safe using known components, but that will place you at a disadvantage if your competitors more powerful cutting-edge solution works out for them. I think you appreciate that, and your belief is there's no way Sony could have looked at what's going into PS3 and not foreseen that it'd be very expensive. Well IMO the $400 unit cost was a given, it was just a matter of timing. When PS3's $600 was announced, we were talking on this board about a price-drop to $400 within the year due to expected cost reductions, chiefly on those main technologies.

I think in the end Sony misjudged when MS would release their console and, like most in the silicon industry, had initially drawn up plans that were too aggressive. Their insistance on Blu-ray sticks out as the most "optimisitic" element of their plan.

I think Sony have designed the PS3 to be exactly as would be expected from creating a simple trending line upwards from console generations, and especially upwards from Playstation 1 and Playstation 2. I think in terms of hardware and such, they have also beens succesful and right in doing so. I think the main area where they could have done better than they have now is in the software area exclusively.

Not surprisingly, I disagree with your analysis, but that is partly because it seems you're dropping into this discussion without reading the previous pages, or at least adressing the points already raised against your own arguments.

For the PS3...
• Blu-ray was not a mass market technology with a streamlined pricing model, impacting PS3 price points

If we consider the timeline difference against the projected time that the PS3 is going to be on the market, then Sony's choice was by far the most sensible one. Compared to DVD (and that's partly depending on to which market you look - in Japan for instance DVD wasn't as logical a choice as in other regions at the time the PS2 was launched), BluRay was 2 years behind for most of the time during which Playstion 3 was designed, and had everything gone to plan with BluRay, then the difference could have been even smaller. These delays hurt, but on the other hand, considering the time that the PS3 was supposed to be on the market, and the advantages of BluRay and the potential impact of PS3's support of the medium in general, compensated for these and made the choice to go for BluRay all the more logical.

• Blu-ray made the inclusion of a HDD, a longterm costly addition, desirable

As if there is any difference for this whatsoever for DVD support. Even if DVD and BluRay have slightly different accents when it comes to strengths and weaknesses, in the main the same bottlenecks exist, not to mention all the other advantages of HDD that are so far proving essential.

• Blu-ray wasn't a consumer proven technology with strong demand, offering little compelling consumer desire to pay a premium for the feature

Again flawed, especially in the context of the decision taking process having to take a forward look (it's always hard to predict the future), as at the time the decision had to be made there was every reason to believe it would be the de-facto next standard. Nobody expected HD-DVD to make it as far as they did, and even now BluRay looks like it will make it. Another important difference is while DVD offered more advantages, there is also a much smaller threshold for people to go from DVD to BluRay. They can still use their existing library of DVDs with the added bonus of things looking better on HD tvs because of impressive upscaling, when the change to DVD meant you had to throw away all your VHS stuff, with the added downside that for a long time VHS was your only method for recording video as well.

• Blu-ray wasn't prime-time: HDMI 1.3 wasn't finalized, BDR releases were pushed back, diodes were in short supply and very expensive, etc resulting in the console's delay

Basically, HD was delayed, TVs came slower initially, HD-DVD was delayed, BluRay was delayed even more, HDMI standards slow in finalising, and it slowed down the PS3's launch and kept its build cost higher for a longer time. Personally, I consider Microsoft's strategy and Sony's strategy very much of equal value and equal risk in the main, and which one succeeds will depend in a large part on luck. The jury definitely isn't out, but again, if Sony makes it for another generation, against a tough opponents (Microsoft is huge and powerful with strong ties in the U.S. in a lot of ways, Nintendo has turned into basically a small inventive, flexible company), in one of the most complex markets to date, it's not because they made obvious errors in the decision process.

For Consumers...
• Blu-ray was expensive
• Blu-ray was not an industry standard and faced an ugly format war with HD DVD, Digital Distribution, and DVD
• Blu-ray had little compelling content compared to its primary competition (DVD) and was splitting big new releases with HD DVD

Striking that you've put all of these in the past tense. You're basically writing this in the past tense, so I'm assuming that basically you're referring to why Sony haven't sold all of their projected consoles. What if after the holidays they finish at 8 million instead of 12 million sold (though I think the original target was 12 million shipped). Would that be a failure?

Blu-ray requires an HDTV to get benefit from (HDTVs being a smaller portion of the market)

However, from the looks of it, HDTV is still going to take over in a fairly rapid progression. In some countries it already has taken over (with the majority of households having one), and in many others it will have after this Christmas. Basically, of every new TV sold today, in most countries (you can keep them in line with the trend of countries that are also most likely to buy a next gen console in the first place), I'm willing to bet that more than 90% of TVs sold are 720p or up.

Blu-ray offers fewer consumer advantages over DVD than DVD did over VHS

But again, also fewer disadvantages, and a painless transition period.

Blu-ray came loaded with copy protection concerns

Maybe, but it doesn't seem like something that anything but some of the guys in online discussions have worried about too much, and in practice I don't see it mattering.

For developers...
• Blu-ray's major benefit, capacity, was a low priority issue due to the cost of content generation and the fact DVD had been servicing 2 megapixel gaming for years without issue; solid workarounds (disk spanning, HDD caching, etc) also existed to address these issues

This is a huge discussion that I've been having here in this very thread, so I'm not going to repeat it. But my arguments in that discussion so far still stand, so I'm not going to repeat them now. I think I have demonstrated that whatever reasons there have been for games currently released in this first year, it is NOT the cost of content generation trhat stops developers from filling up a BluRay disc. There is also a major internal inconsistency in your argument here in that you cannot use HDD caching as an argument when you earlier state that it was BluRay that caused the HDD to become an essential part of Sony's console that was going to stop them from being able to cost reduce the PS3 further along the line.

The inclusion of the HDD was a nice addition, but the impact on consumer caused the by the price was negative and, as the Xbox1 demonstrated, a HDD had yet to deliver a significant platform distinguishing feature in the console market

Faulty on two levels. First of all the Xbox1 had demonstrated very clearly several significant platform distinguishing features the HDD delivered to the console market. Part of the success of the 360 as a platform today build on those features introduced by the original Xbox (not just in terms of downloadable stuff, customised soundtracks, but even simply in the one single, most important game of the Xbox, Halo 2).

However, in the previous generation the cost of the HDD didn't weigh up against the benefits of the HDD, partly due to lack of consumer awareness, partly due to the Xbox being the weaker platform, and partly (probably most importantly) because the online part of console gaming wasn't significant. Very much today still that online factor is making a big difference in the U.S. versus for example the Japanese market. With today's consoles online and media features, the HDD very clearly adds a lot and they are definitely important to the consoles that have those features.

The delays caused by Blu-ray impacted the lead SKU for next gen titles as the 360 was already present on the market, giving publishers a new revenue stream now to invest in

This was no change though from last generation, w here most publishers were already targeting all three last-gen consoles for the majority of their titles.

The same points can be made about CD technology--it wasn't affordable enough in the SNES/Genesis days, but was ready when the PS1/SS arrived. Sony had wisely rode two proven and/or quickly emerging main stream technologies with the PS1/PS2. Blu-ray was a departure from this strategy

Not to them. Not to me, not even now. But things can rapidly change in any market. Say that the Wii is going to be so successful in actually focussing hardware innovation to very specific areas only that allow for software innovation that are not audio-visually significant, then neither Sony nor Microsoft could have seen this coming. The choice for DVD technology even when established, could have suddenly become superfluous if tv-on-demand services had suddenly developed much faster for whatever reason. Under normal circumstances, taking the next 10 years into view, and assuming the normal progression of hardware requirements has they had progressed for almost every previous console generation (they didn't come up with that graph for nothing - this is how they were thinking, and were they wrong? certainly it seemed very obvious), BluRay was the logical choice, even if it was a projected 2 years behind in terms of market acceptance regarding DVD. Even that was a fairly normal progression, because DVD was much shorter on the market as CD had been and wasn't nearly as established in all regions at the time, and certainly not when the final decision to go DVD had been made.

and was aimed at riding the success of the PlayStation brand into market superiority. Never mind the fact the jump from CD to DVD (7x-13x as much data for SL/DL) was quite a bit larger than we are seeing from first generation Blu-ray disks (3x jump over DL DVD)

What? There are several 50GB discs out there already (I have three spiderman discs alone ;) ), and just the fact that games haven't used all of that space yet doesn't mean anything. Most of the first games on the PS2 were released on CD-ROM (remember how quickly though the cute black discs where replaced with the blue-colored DVDs?). Sure, a lot of the first-year games could have been pressed on DVD, in some cases some additional effort required but possible, but already several games use more space than that, and at the very, very least one game is out there that couldn't have fitted on a regular DVD without significant changes to the game. Again, I'm not going to repeat the whole argument, but if you're so keen on drawing parallels, then be more careful.

Or more importantly that all the trumpeting and chest beating in the face of the HD competition, HD DVD, that Blu-ray's major benefits (like capacity) have preven pretty much irrelevant for the HD movie market. HD DVD videos look just as good (early on they were better looking due to codec issues). So HD DVD had enough space to meet the desired purpose--and did so at a lower price. They can now be found for under $200 and major studios have jumped off the Blu-ray ship.

Not exclusively though. The war is just taking longer than they have anticipated, and they have to balance helping to decide the war in a phase where it maybe doesn't matter to them so much yet, against the sweet deals that they can make from playing out the one against the other.

I do find a bit of irony in the entire situation. For years people got kicks out of berating Microsoft for subsidizing their Xbox platform as a trojan into a new market (the living room). The lack of noise in this regards to those same complainers about the same strategy by Sony... well, I find it quite hillarious!

Sorry, but even that's nonsense. The same arguments exist for and against everything, and they will be repeated in every discussion that touches them over time. The value of those arguments will increase or decrease depending on how their context changes, and also the people who use those arguments change.

Not that I have a problem with what Sony is doing. I am not investing in HD optical technology because I believe it is antiquated and Digital Distribution will be my next format choice. Blu-ray is Sony's last major optical technology oppurtunity. And IF the strategy had worked

There's the past tense again.

• Blu-ray would have tens of millions of consumers within a couple years to propel the format and force consumer/publisher adoption
• Sony would ride the HD wave, selling tons of HDTVs, HD consoles, and HD media players

The problem is you need 2006 sales to get 2009 sales.

Nope. If at this point Nintendo stopped supporting the Wii and didn't have stuff like SMB, then in 2009, the Wii would have disappeared. Conversely, 3 years ago the Wii didn't exist, but in its first year the Wii is doing already almost as good as any console did in its best year. The market isn't that simple. Oh and by the way, HDtvs are very much being sold (though obviously not all to Sony, but they're making as healthy a profit there as anyone else). And this year, BluRay has been for almost all of the year in a position where it is beating HD-DVD on every level.

Sony lost any momentum/brand advantage in 2006 by totally misjudging the market's ability/desire to sustain a platform with a high price tag and little compelling media content (games or videos).

Sony badly needed either killer content in 2006 or a reasonable price ($400) with the expectation of potential. They lacked both and their competition moved in.

All your arguments hold for 2006 (and the majority of 2007). The reasons are known. Your conclusion however, is simply too soon. What evidence is there even that 360 sales aren't naturally progressing from the Xbox's previous generation? You think that 2006 is the pivotal point in this 'console war', you even seem to think that it can be easily won or lost in absolute terms. But there are no such absolute truths or values. Is the PSP a failure? If you expected it to beat the DS as the PS1 did the N64, then yes. If you define failure as gaining the majority of market share, then yes. But fact of the matter is that it turned out to be a healthy platform with more than respectable sales, that while overshadowed by the runaway success of the DS, is still doing very well, and rather than slowly wither away now that the DS has settled itself as the 'clear' winner, is actually looking to do even better in the near future.

Sure, NOW Sony has that $400 price, but HD DVD is half that. The Wii and 360 offer gaming at substantially lower price tags. And in the gaming space the competition has the lead in compelling content

For some, the majority even, but not for all. Substantially lower is also overstating it and very much up for discussion.

and in the movie market HD DVD has made some major moves.

But HD DVD still is losing to BluRay, and PS3 sales, low as they may be, positively dwarf standalone player sales of either type.

And in the gaming space Blu-ray continues to find it difficult to justify itself in the gaming world. For all the self praise and boasting of content size, the fact is Blu-ray based games aren't longer--and they don't have better graphics regardless of the Sony evangalists. The best MS is offering on DVD arguably has been better graphically than what has been seen on Blu-ray. Nevermind the skyrocking development costs and the expense of actually filling a Blu-ray disk with actual game content, Blu-ray has failed to justify itself in its first year.

Rinse, repeat.

Down the road it may, but that is a poor console market strategy.

So you don't believe in long term market strategies for the console market?

These aren't PCs with a small, niche, power user mentality. Console consumers are demanding in regards to price and benefit. If they don't see the benefit they won't pay hundreds of dollars for it. If Blu-ray begins justifying itself in 2008 with a couple titles that show major differences to consumers, selling point worthy differences in games, and causes a market shift in 2009... hold the press! 2010 may see the first 4th generation 3D consoles.

Fact is, the PS3 has been designed with the same things in mind as the PS1 and PS2. Looking for the PC isn't bad in that regard. Costs scale. If you want to build something that lasts that long, you have to be forward looking and factor in what parts experience cost reduction and what don't, what parts are worth initial investments for the long-term benefit and what aren't. I'm personally someone who likes to look at the long term. The current console wars aren't different. Costs for developers equally factor out the initial R&D costs versus the lifespan of a console. The Wii aims for a shorter cycle but compensates by low R&D investment costs for developers. The PS3 has high initial R&D costs, but promises a longer cycle. The 360 is somewhere inbetween. They are all valid choices. How valid, we'll see, but it would be silly to judge a long term strategy on such little data as we have today. After all, I don't know if you still remember, but as huge as the initial cost differences between the Atari ST and Amiga were, very much at the end of the cycle the Amiga still overtook the Atari ST both in terms of software and hardware sold, with the Atari ST also being easier to develop for early on.

I like to see the Playstation platform as a garden that Sony is planting with seeds, and the time for each seed to come to fruition a direct factor of how many seeds have been planted. The 360 and Wii have progressively smaller gardens, but they can direct more attention per seed, so they come to fruition quicker. Initially, their gardens will be more interesting to look at, but eventually the Sony garden will be the largest garden with the most most variety.

The metaphor is obviously a simplification: it's like you can study till your 16th and then start working, and you can start studying till your 24th and then start working. In theory, the higher degree should always give you the better jobs, but in practice, given the same amount of talent, you'll potentially make more money if you start working at 16, because you can learn on the job and in the meantime make money while a student will lose money. And obviously, how much talent you have also depends on the amount of sklil, knowledge and discipline your parents gave you.

Your point of the importance of the first year is valid to some extent in the context of long-term investments, where the first year of profits counts heavier because those profits provide returns for the longest period (say, the other 9 out of 10 years). But that doesn't also mean that later returns cannot more than compensate for this.

And that is what it comes down to. Blu-ray, on a cost basis, offers low bang-for-buck this generation. Blu-ray was too early. Sony waiting on Blu-ray resulted in too much PS2 development focus. Instead of trimming the already impressive PS2 revenue to capture longterm PS3 revenue, Sony rode the PS2 too long with the hopes of their brand sustaining a weak software lineup and a fledgling HD media format with tough competition and little compelling consumer benefit to the majority of consumers who lack HDTVs.

This is so obviously wrong again. How much investment has Sony done in the PS3 again? How is that not trimming the already impressive PS2 revenue to capture longterm PS3 revenue?? Again, a major internal inconsistency in your argument.

Sony needed more contingency plans and needed better risk analysis. It was pretty clear to me that Sony was 1 generation too early for this sort of market move. If the PS3 was a Cell/RSX console at $400 in 2005 and Sony had shifted appropriate development support to the PS3 ahead of time they would have crushed MS and would have been in a much better position to fend off Nintendo.

If it had been that easy, then Microsoft and Nintendo would probably have done the same. These generations are very long. You're too dismissive of that fact, and your focus really is too much on the short term. Short term could be good, short term could work, but short term is not what you can tell the outcome by. We might as well make all sports matches fit the sudden-death format.

And in 2011 with MS out of the market (RROD and a competitive PS3 launch would have killed them) and Nintendo not focused on being the living room media hub, Sony could have realized their vision as a home super computing standard and moved the market outside of gaming and into a more broad entertainment/basic home computing/social platform.

Completely pointless remark. MS's goal to gain the livingroom is not dependent on the Xbox. For media center purposes, do you think there are more Xboxes or more pcs in the living room right now? The importance of Xbox to Microsoft is more complex than that.

And Sony would have the primary gateway for Digital Distribution.

Again, nonsense. As if there aren't tonnes of other players on this market.

Interestingly, I think in the process of the 3 console releases we have learned more about consumers than we have about Sony, MS, and Nintendo. The PS3 has faced difficult times because Sony misunderstood consumers. The question is how will these companies respond to this knowledge--are they each willing to face their demons to meet consumer desire? Or will they continue to use their platforms as trojans for their broader corporate strategies? Sony has showed us that consumer demand has to be the priority in planning.

I think more than anything else, all three platforms (not to mention handheld gaming, mobile phones, pc games like world of warcraft and so on) are showing that as the computer entertainment market keeps rapidly expanding, there are more and more ways of making money in this business, just as in any other, and competition is a great thing that tends to benefit consumers.

EDIT: Shifty and I seem to have aligned our opinions a little further, which often happens after discussion. :D

There are more points, but it was pretty clear in early 2005 (when a number of us made these very same points) that Blu-ray wasn't going to be the major selling point that DVD was in 2000.

• In 2000 DVD was the market standard--DVD players had robust industry support and had generated considerable consumer adoption.
• DVD wasn't significantly more expensive than CD technology and was quickly dropping in price, was widely available on the market and caused no platform release delays.
• DVD offered consumers transparant benefits--better image quality on their existing TVs, better audio, special content, smaller package, instant chapter browsing and more usable fast forwarding, etc.

The same points can be made about CD technology--it wasn't affordable enough in the SNES/Genesis days, but was ready when the PS1/SS arrived. Sony had wisely rode two proven and/or quickly emerging main stream technologies with the PS1/PS2. Blu-ray was a departure from this strategy and was aimed at riding the success of the PlayStation brand into market superiority. Never mind the fact the jump from CD to DVD (7x-13x as much data for SL/DL) was quite a bit larger than we are seeing from first generation Blu-ray disks (3x jump over DL DVD) or the other concerns above. Or more importantly that all the trumpeting and chest beating in the face of the HD competition, HD DVD, that Blu-ray's major benefits (like capacity) have preven pretty much irrelevant for the HD movie market. HD DVD videos look just as good (early on they were better looking due to codec issues). So HD DVD had enough space to meet the desired purpose--and did so at a lower price. They can now be found for under $200 and major studios have jumped off the Blu-ray ship.

1) First of all lets not forget the prices for DVD players prior to Sony introducing the PS2 in 2000.

2) Lets not forget DVD movies sales and DVD movie prices prior to the Sony PS2 launch.

3) Lets not forget what REALLY caused the "generated considerable consumer adoption" of DVD was those 9 to 10 million PS2s sold between 2000 and up to August 2001 when PS2 had very FEW games worth considering and when game review sites and mainly Videogame Magazines started to recommend DVD movies.

Ok you said that "CD technology--it wasn't affordable enough in the SNES/Genesis days, but was ready when the PS1/SS arrived."

And once again did you even think to mention that prior to PS1/SS arrival both NEC and SEGA had their CD-ROM ADDONS for games with the Turbo Graphix CD aka PC Engine Super CD-Rom and SEGA Genesis addon, the SEGA CD.

The intro price for the SEGA CD alone was at or over $300.00 USD back in 1992 and it required a SEGA Genesis console that met the requirements for it to actually work.

Aside from that Phillips had their little "Multimedia" CD box, Atari had their Jaguar CD addon and 3DO was the first console to ever launch as a stand alone CD based console, all years ahead of Sony PS1 and Sega Saturn.

But most important of all is that the ORIGINAL Playstation was supposed to be an ADDON to the Super Nintendo as a response to the SEGA CD years before Sony finally decided to make Playstation a stand alone CD based videogame console.

4) so NO, you are wrong, Sony did not "wisely ride two proven and/or quickly emerging main stream technologies with the PS1/PS2."

1) First of all lets not forget the prices for DVD players prior to Sony introducing the PS2 in 2000.
2) Lets not forget DVD movies sales and DVD movie prices prior to the Sony PS2 launch.
3) ...
In previous debates on this matter I think it was clearly proven that PS2's impact was quite minimal.

Ok you said that "CD technology--it wasn't affordable enough in the SNES/Genesis days, but was ready when the PS1/SS arrived."

And once again did you even think to mention that prior to PS1/SS arrival both NEC and SEGA had their CD-ROM ADDONS...The intro price for the SEGA CD alone was at or over $300.00 USD back in 1992...
And as none of those devices became mainstream, that examples proves Joshua's point - bringing in a technology too early means low probability of success (only by this example though, and my previous post argues why this isn't an iron-clad precedent for BRD). I suppose the relative consideration here is if all those companies were arrogant introducing expensive devices using cutting edge expensive technology, hoping they'd take off.

But most important of all is that the ORIGINAL Playstation was supposed to be an ADDON to the Super Nintendo as a response to the SEGA CD years before Sony finally decided to make Playstation a stand alone CD based videogame console.
That doesn't contribute anything to the argument. Whatever PS1 was to start out as, it was a $300 console launching with CD drive and it was a huge success, where previous CD devices had flumped.

5) ...Sounds alot an awful like Microsoft's agenda and this clearly shows a major flaw in your argument since basically someone would either have to somehow be employed by Microsoft to make that statement or just be a really dedicated, devoted fan.
Or just happen to agree with MS's perspective on things, independently coming to the same conclusion. Ad hominem's are not welcome on this forum.

3) Lets not forget what REALLY caused the "generated considerable consumer adoption" of DVD was those 9 to 10 million PS2s sold between 2000 and up to August 2001 when PS2 had very FEW games worth considering and when game review sites and mainly Videogame Magazines started to recommend DVD movies.

[snip]
Hmmm, According to digitalbits courtesy of the CEA
These are YEARLY US totals NONE of the numbers include the PS2 or DVD-ROM drives!

1997: 315,136
1998: 1,089,261
1999: 4,019,389
2000: 8,498,545
2001: 12,706,584

I guess what I am implying is before you say "lets not forget", I would say, why don't you try remembering accurately, first.

My first DVD player cost me $350 I bought Twister at the time, which I believe was my only option at the store I purchased it from and that was years before the PS2 launched at all and as the numbers show, DVD players, in the US, were doing fine long before the PS2 even hit Japan...

A

Blu-Ray is starting to shows it´s teeth on the newest releases. DVD works, sure, there weren´t an alternative so how could it not? And if DVD requires HDD then we have at least one Console that will have problems at some point.
• The inclusion of the HDD was a nice addition, but the impact on consumer caused the by the price was negative and, as the Xbox1 demonstrated, a HDD had yet to deliver a significant platform distinguishing feature in the console market

For any online platform there needs to be a persistent media, patches work better this way. While we may not think the Xbox HDD made a difference, those that downloaded patches for their games may disagree. And so would the MMO gamers on the PS2. HDD is just a must today.
• The delays caused by Blu-ray impacted the lead SKU for next gen titles as the 360 was already present on the market, giving publishers a new revenue stream now to invest in
A PS3 release acording to "PR Plan" would have been dead in the water with even less games. Looking back i just don´t see the original launch ever happening. And neither did sony, they even made a cheaper revision for europe like they knew how things would unfold.

I have no faith in download services to provide me with movies. I will not let my movie library in the hands of "hollywood" and just the though of having storage for several 100s 50GB titles is just stupid.

PS3 is the difference in the HD war today, 5 million sold(?) is half your tens of millions and it secures a healthy lead over HD-DVD and it will just continue to grow and sell more. I dunno if Sony will catch up but it looks like they have a plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back