Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

I think MS have a 1st party accessibility controller, so I doubt there'll be much of a change there.

This is a business' favourite situation though, to do something necessary for their users that just so happens to also necessitate licensing deals. Oh dear, but soz guys, we had no choice
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Will probably have some downsides for sure, but it'll also hopefully wipe out modded cheat controllers. They're a serious problem in multiplayer games. I've seen mention of custom accessibility controllers, and they'll need to find some kind of solution for that.
Do you think MS will refuse to license these controllers assuming the manufacturers want that rather than lose sales?

Do you think MS will refuse to license these controllers assuming the manufacturers want that rather than lose sales?

Cronus Zen is a cheat controller, so I doubt they'd license it. Things like that probably won't get approved. I'd hope they make it easy for legit accessibility devices to get licensed. I wouldn't want to see gamers with special requirements get left behind. Sounds like the process is expensive, which is why there are unapproved devices in the first place.

I agree with blocking cheat controllers. It depends whether the motives are genuinely to control the user experience, or just to enforce better monetisation. Presumably this doesn't apple to 3rd party expansion adaptors as the interface isn't the same.

Will probably have some downsides for sure, but it'll also hopefully wipe out modded cheat controllers. They're a serious problem in multiplayer games. I've seen mention of custom accessibility controllers, and they'll need to find some kind of solution for that.
This announcement surprised me because a) I didn't know Xbox accessories could even be unlicensed and b) I had no idea that cheaty controllers were a thing. I think Microsoft could hit a happy middle ground, if they keep the licensing reasonable they keep cheaper controllers as an option for those on a budget, but they could also regulate their use in online games where such a controller provides an unfair advantage.

Cheat controllers can run scripts to do things like eliminate recoil patterns or pull off impossible inputs patterns. They're a plague in competitive gaming.

I wonder if fake Xbox controller that supports official Xbox controller fw updates are also affected by this.

IIRC the only way to know it's fake is by registering it for warranty on Microsoft account

Just read MS present full-screen adverts on console boot. They've done so for COD and earlier for Starfield and Forza. How do XB users feel about this? Advertising has been far more prevalent on that console since 360 so maybe they are just more used to it and accepting?

Just read MS present full-screen adverts on console boot. They've done so for COD and earlier for Starfield and Forza. How do XB users feel about this? Advertising has been far more prevalent on that console since 360 so maybe they are just more used to it and accepting?
I've not seen any of these in the UK on my Series X. Sometimes ads appear prominently in the dashboard and I really don't like that at all.

Seems to have only blown up/become an issue with COD. Kinda odd.

Understand the slippery slope pov but I don't think this is anywhere close to being worth any outrage yet.
I wouldn't mind if it not only showed 1P releases but also show xbox showcase details.

Apart from that probably wouldn't want to do more as people will automatically back out from it without even looking or just ignore it if it pops up too often.

Seems to have only blown up/become an issue with COD. Kinda odd.

Understand the slippery slope pov but I don't think this is anywhere close to being worth any outrage yet.
What's the threshold to start resisting the slippery slope? This is the third time, right? Isn't that now establishing a pattern that people should be concerned with? Phrases like 'nip it in the bud' and 'a stitch in time saves nine' come to mind. The earlier you put a stop to issues, the easier it is to stop them and the greater chance of success.

What's the threshold to start resisting the slippery slope? This is the third time, right? Isn't that now establishing a pattern that people should be concerned with? Phrases like 'nip it in the bud' and 'a stitch in time saves nine' come to mind. The earlier you put a stop to issues, the easier it is to stop them and the greater chance of success.
I don't have an issue with it at all.
For me would become an issue if you couldn't pass it easily. And as I said could actually be used for additional info, but I doubt some people would be ok with that.

Only reason I said amount is that I don't think it would be affective if they did it at every boot up, not that I would have issue with it.

Slippery slope if started to have unskippable adds. At that point I would say it's invasive and would say any outrage and slopes are warrented, especially if it was a random 3P game. At the moment I think it's actually a useful add. IMO.

Also if it's choice between that or GP going up by what percentage did PS+ go up by, I would definitely choose this.

I've never gotten one of these. I wonder why I've been excluded. It would annoy me a bit but then again even when I turn on my tv vizio advertises stuff and when I use a fire stick it's advertising me stuff and so on and so forth.

I don't have an issue with it at all.
For me would become an issue if you couldn't pass it easily.
But what about when everything does it, even if easily skippable? You turn on your TV and have a 3 second advert, then turn on your console and have a splash screen you have to skip. You fire up your game and get a skippable-after-2-seconds video ad for another game. You access your paid-for gaming service on your phone app and have a second advert. You boot up your PC to write an email of complaint are are presented with an advert. You put some popcorn in the oven and are presented with an advert before you can turn it on???

The fundamental principle at stake is one of invasion. If a short interstitial ad is okay here, is okay everywhere. If you are going to allow these ads on a console, where do you draw the line for other places for adverts or don't you, and let there be ads absolutely everywhere?

But what about when everything does it, even if easily skippable? You turn on your TV and have a 3 second advert, then turn on your console and have a splash screen you have to skip. You fire up your game and get a skippable-after-2-seconds video ad for another game. You access your paid-for gaming service on your phone app and have a second advert. You boot up your PC to write an email of complaint are are presented with an advert. You put some popcorn in the oven and are presented with an advert before you can turn it on???

The fundamental principle at stake is one of invasion. If a short interstitial ad is okay here, is okay everywhere. If you are going to allow these ads on a console, where do you draw the line for other places for adverts or don't you, and let there be ads absolutely everywhere?
People kinda already accustomed to those things in scummy android games and apps (and some scummy phones with buildin ads).

On console, it's usually per game basis. For example destiny 2 has been plastering MTX ads pop up on login for awhile.

The one from Microsoft is indeed the newer move.

There's even a term for people brain automatically filter these out.... I think it was "ads blindness".

Bacially some people already got adblocker installed in their brain.

That will be a problem obviously. So far it has been almost unnoticeable to me. It’s one time only single click to skip and you will never see it again.
Personally I have no problem with it. Every time I start steam there is pop up window with what’s new it dosent bother me either.

But what about when everything does it, even if easily skippable? You turn on your TV and have a 3 second advert, then turn on your console and have a splash screen you have to skip.
There is no way Microsoft are going to backpedal on this. They thought it was fine to insert ads into the Windows 11 start menu by default, then there was that experiment with ads in File Explorer. Guides telling you how to remove all the ads from Windows 11 are only going to be become more necessary over time.

Microsoft want to increase their ad revenue, which means serving more ads.

Back