Xbox Series... M?

Clearly, the above quote means the Xbox hardware team will build new Windows Gaming PC handhelds running Windows UI on "Xbox" branded devices.
it seems so, and as @rntongo mentioned in another post, now Phil Spencer wants to add other storefronts to Xbox... Well, itch.io on Xbox? He has to be trying to say PC here but says Xbox for whatever reason....

The most interesting part, imho, John from DF and DF staff has been saying it, I've been mentioning it from eons ago, and now they seem to be considering the idea...

"[Consider] our history as the Windows company,” Spencer said. "Nobody would blink twice if I said 'Hey, when you’re using a PC, you get to decide the type of experience you have [by picking where to buy games].' There’s real value in that."

The Xbox boss then went on to say that the idea of selling consoles at a loss and then regaining that money through game sales is becoming ineffective, explaining that the "price of the components of a console aren’t coming down as fast as they have in previous generations," and that the console market isn't growing as more gamers now have a PC or a handheld device as an option.
(...)

Spencer's solution would be offering more storefronts because he thinks the gaming experience is impacted when it comes to what consoles users play on and what stores sell certain games, saying: "If I want to play on a gaming PC, then I feel like I’m more a continuous part of a gaming ecosystem as a whole. As opposed to [on console, where] my gaming is kind of sharded - to use a gaming term - based on these different closed ecosystems that I have to play across."

Last edited:
Possibly not. It was just the 360 games that needed recompiling wasn't it? Xbone BC worked out of the gate and I'd expect XSS compatibility to be the same
XS is, like Xbox One, x64 AMD, SD Elite is ARM which like 360 PPC is a different ISA so i don't see how this would "work out of the gate".

XS is, like Xbox One, x64 AMD, SD Elite is ARM which like 360 PPC is a different ISA so i don't see how this would "work out of the gate".

Sorry, I meant games would run without devs/MS having to do anything to those individual games. They obviously need get the Xbox OS / XSS VM up and running on ARM hardware. The Windows team have already done a lot of the hardwork on that front.

it seems so, and as @rntongo mentioned in another post, now Phil Spencer wants to add other storefronts to Xbox... Well, itch.io on Xbox? He has to be trying to say PC here but says Xbox for whatever reason....

The most interesting part, imho, John from DF and DF staff has been saying it, I've been mentioning it from eons ago, and now they seem to be considering the idea...

"[Consider] our history as the Windows company,” Spencer said. "Nobody would blink twice if I said 'Hey, when you’re using a PC, you get to decide the type of experience you have [by picking where to buy games].' There’s real value in that."

The Xbox boss then went on to say that the idea of selling consoles at a loss and then regaining that money through game sales is becoming ineffective, explaining that the "price of the components of a console aren’t coming down as fast as they have in previous generations," and that the console market isn't growing as more gamers now have a PC or a handheld device as an option.
(...)

Spencer's solution would be offering more storefronts because he thinks the gaming experience is impacted when it comes to what consoles users play on and what stores sell certain games, saying: "If I want to play on a gaming PC, then I feel like I’m more a continuous part of a gaming ecosystem as a whole. As opposed to [on console, where] my gaming is kind of sharded - to use a gaming term - based on these different closed ecosystems that I have to play across."
I smell embrace, extend, extinguish.

I smell embrace, extend, extinguish.
if he added the Epic Games Store to a storefront on Windows, and itch.io, etc, I'd buy a statue for uncle Phil. Having all of the games I have on the Epic Store integrated in some kind of easy to navigate menu would be welcome.

The most interesting tidbits seem to be that they are actually caring about Windows. Without Windows the Xbox wouldn't exist.

Sorry, I meant games would run without devs/MS having to do anything to those individual games. They obviously need get the Xbox OS / XSS VM up and running on ARM hardware. The Windows team have already done a lot of the hardwork on that front.
That means emulation, i doubt that this would be fast enough especially under the power constraints of a hand held. The only argument for an SD Elite would be an entire switch to ARM, but for a Series M hand held it would only creating a ton of artificial pain, because you would be as far away from a hand held S as you can possibly get.

That means emulation, i doubt that this would be fast enough especially under the power constraints of a hand held. The only argument for an SD Elite would be an entire switch to ARM, but for a Series M hand held it would only creating a ton of artificial pain, because you would be as far away from a hand held S as you can possibly get.

I wasn't thinking the Elite X specifically, as it's not powerful enough in the round to run XSS games. Pre-release hype and all that, but it certainly suggests that you don't actually lose significant performance translating x86 code to ARM.

Clearly, the above quote means the Xbox hardware team will build new Windows Gaming PC handhelds running Windows UI on "Xbox" branded devices.

Yeah, there is no way Xbox and Windows teams have the budget and resources to do both Windows for handheld devices and native Xbox handheld at the same time right.
doing so they will cater to other potential buyers. Most parents who buy consoles -Switch but also maybe PS5- for their kids do it for nostalgia 'cos that's what they lived. Kids and young people tend to prefer a PC nowadays.

That way young people can play cheap games -and also sry but true, pirated commercial games too-, emulators, games of dubious origin like half-pirate Minecraft and extreme mods. They ask for everything that influencers play and are happy with their mouse, keyboard and gaming headsets.

As I said, consoles are for old school people and there are fewer and fewer of us left. Playing in a closed and controlled ecosystem has its days numbered.

doing so they will cater to other potential buyers. Most parents who buy consoles -Switch but also maybe PS5- for their kids do it for nostalgia 'cos that's what they lived. Kids and young people tend to prefer a PC nowadays.

That way young people can play cheap games -and also sry but true, pirated commercial games too-, emulators, games of dubious origin like half-pirate Minecraft and extreme mods. They ask for everything that influencers play and are happy with their mouse, keyboard and gaming headsets.

As I said, consoles are for old school people and there are fewer and fewer of us left. Playing in a closed and controlled ecosystem has its days numbered.
Consoles will never really disappear. As long as they are the easiest to use dedicated hardware to play videogames, they will have a market.

Aside from the bullshit that you need a engineer degree to play games on PC, playing on consoles is easier, even if using a PC isn't hard.

The control schemes between a PC, console and mobile are entirely different in design, meaning one cannot replace another. Of course you can hook a controller to a pc or smartphone, but it's not the primary method of control.

Aside from the bullshit that you need a engineer degree to play games on PC, playing on consoles is easier, even if using a PC isn't hard
the only downside of PC gaming nowadays is when Windows get in the way, be it with background programs like Onedrive or controller management, but other than that it's easy. Not as on a console but not hard at all. The other day my 6 y.o. and 4 y.o. nephews were playing Rocket League on my computer and I had Onedrive in the background, they got suddenly dropped to the desktop with a message that no one cares about saying that recently lots of files in Onedrive were deleted :/. The game kept working but I had to focus Windows on the game once again, and then they played several games with no issues for a few hours.

Needless to say that I disabled Onedrive from starting when Windows start, and tbh I have very few programs enabled when Windows restarts and Onedrive was one of them, it's not anymore.

the only downside of PC gaming nowadays is when Windows get in the way, be it with background programs like Onedrive or controller management, but other than that it's easy. Not as on a console but not hard at all. The other day my 6 y.o. and 4 y.o. nephews were playing Rocket League on my computer and I had Onedrive in the background, they got suddenly dropped to the desktop with a message that no one cares about saying that recently lots of files in Onedrive were deleted :/. The game kept working but I had to focus Windows on the game once again, and then they played several games with no issues for a few hours.

Needless to say that I disabled Onedrive from starting when Windows start, and tbh I have very few programs enabled when Windows restarts and Onedrive was one of them, it's not anymore.
This stuff about onedrive reminds me of the time were a friend from school was having problems on his PC, so he asked me to have a look at it. I went in the task manager and I saw something like 25 programs launching at startup, 20 of those pretty much useless. I went and disabled them all, and voila, his PC was much better. Some people have no idea how a PC works, and some people are just lazy. Like my cousin who wouldn't finish halo because he had to plug the HDMI cable in his laptop to play on the tv. Just having to plug a cable prevented him from continuing with the series 💀

I'm pretty sure there are more downsides than that when we have whole threads dedicated to massaging PC settings for Cyberpunk, Hogwarts etc....

I'm not dogging on PC gaming. It's great. But let's not kid ourselves that sub-100 IQ people are going to be editing their INI files.

I'm pretty sure there are more downsides than that when we have whole threads dedicated to massaging PC settings for Cyberpunk, Hogwarts etc....

I'm not dogging on PC gaming. It's great. But let's not kid ourselves that sub-100 IQ people are going to be editing their INI files.
It's not like they are stupid for not knowing how to mess with a PC, it's just that they never had an interest in it, and that's fine.

Back