• Mobile hardware strategy

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Slim Revision hardware strategy

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • This will be a nothing burger

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • *new* Xbox Games for Mobile Strategy

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • *new* Executive leadership changes (ie: named leaders moves/exits/retires)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Xbox series s portable with switch / legion go design pls, with the rumor about they are working on a new portable

Xbox in Europe not selling well is nothing new, just a bit more aggravated now. In the past major shops leaflets basically didn't include much info about the xbox, stores had Xbox games but in the most hidden space of the store, and so on and so forth. Preferences wise, Europe is in the middle, lots of people prefer japanese stuff, and also the people who could potentially get a Xbox simply prefer a PC. There are too many reasons, but lack of ads, lack of charm, whatever..., plays a huge factor.

DF mentioned something along those lines in their video, but this really expands on that. This is worldwide hardware sales -from Neogaf-, where PS5 sells 3 to 1 and a 8 y.o. Switch sells almost that, both compared to Xbox. 400.000 of those sales are from the USA market.

YYWRGG0.png

This is data sales from Europe. I am not an economics expert, but shouldn't we consider this a commercial failure?

rbFHv1g.png

Last edited:
Launched at the same price. Failed to produce any notable first party hits. Failed to demonstrate a notable technical win to justify the value for multi platform games. Both happening in a region that’s a historically friendly territory for Sony. Not shocked at all tbh.

Assuming that is true, and they are released day and date on playstation, then it'll definitely seem like they're pulling the plug on it.

Last edited:
I think Phil Spencer is going to be the guy that finishes off the Xbox brand. I suspect MSFT is going to try to destabilize Sony and Nintendo's business model to force multiple game app stores onto their systems. This is Phil's long term plan considering he's now saying he's working on bringing on Epic Games store to the Xbox. They could eventually sue Sony for monopolistic game app store.

Reminds me of when I bought my first Ubisoft title(Watch Dogs) for my brand new Series X and I was required to create and sign into a Ubisoft account to play a single player game I had just paid full price for. One of the worst gaming experiences really. Driven by greed and a disregard for user experience. Never played the game and took it as a loss. I dont buy Ubisoft games anymore because of this experience. If Xbox moves in this direction where multiple companies have you sign up to multiple game app stores I will just move back to Playstation.

worse thing that happened to me is that after not using my xbox account for quite some time (from X360 to XsS) my EA/xbox account link bugged, and now it's unusable as i can't log in anymore more, and EA won't do anything, so any EA game which need login on Xbox, i'm screwed.

I suspect MSFT is going to try to destabilize Sony and Nintendo's business model to force multiple game app stores onto their systems.

I actually mentioned that a few post ago, and funny enough, a CNBC piece echoed something similar, and not just Microsoft, but others such as EA and Take Two can leverage their IPs strengths on forcing change.

it's the same issue on playstation, ubisoft and EA accounts linked to your PSN account.

Same with Steam, and yes, it's highly annoying. And certain Steam games still require you to install another game launcher or storefront, like Origin/EA, Battle.net, Rockstar, Ubisoft, and so-on.

I suspect MSFT is going to try to destabilize Sony and Nintendo's business model to force multiple game app stores onto their systems. This is Phil's long term plan considering he's now saying he's working on bringing on Epic Games store to the Xbox. They could eventually sue Sony for monopolistic game app store.

Yeah, Phil is already laying PR groundwork, direct quotes from recent interview.

Phil Spencer doesn't just want Xbox games on other consoles. He wants other video game retailers on Xbox, too.

In an interview with Microsoft's CEO of Gaming during the annual Game Developers Conference, Spencer told Polygon about the ways he'd like to break down the walled gardens that have historically limited players to making purchases through the first-party stores tied to each console. Or, in layperson terms, why you should be able to buy games from other stores on Xbox — not just the official storefront.

Spencer mentioned his frustrations with closed ecosystems, so we asked for clarity. Could he really see a future where stores like Itch.io and Epic Games Store existed on Xbox? Was it just a matter of figuring out mountains of paperwork to get there?

"Yes," said Spencer. "[Consider] our history as the Windows company. Nobody would blink twice if I said, 'Hey, when you're using a PC, you get to decide the type of experience you have [by picking where to buy games]. There's real value in that." Spencer believes console players would benefit from that freedom too — and so would console makers like Microsoft.

Spencer explained how, in the past, console makers would typically subsidize the cost of expensive hardware, knowing that a portion of every dollar spent on games for the platform over the years would eventually make it back to the console maker. Then, in time, the console maker would recoup the subsidy — and hopefully more.

But, Spencer said, "Moore's Law has slowed down. The price of the components of a console aren't coming down as fast as they have in previous generations." Worse, he explained, the console market isn't growing, with more gamers moving to PC and handheld options. Now, the notion of subsidizing a console — and forcing players to purchase games through the official storefront to help recoup costs — might not make sense. The walls meant to lock people into consoles might be motivating them to stay out.

"[Subsidizing hardware] becomes more challenging in today's world," Spencer said. "And I will say, and this may seem too altruistic, I don't know that it's growing the industry. So I think, what are the barriers? What are the things that create friction in today's world for creators and players? And how can we be part of opening up that model?"

The answer, in part, is scrapping exclusivity on more and more Xbox games. Spencer explained that the game experience is hindered when it matters what consoles we play on or what shops sell us our games. As an example, he pointed to Sea of Thieves. A player, he explained, shouldn't have to worry about what hardware they or their friends own. They should just know if their friends have and want to play Sea of Thieves.

Now, Spencer said, "if I want to play on a gaming PC, then I feel like I'm more a continuous part of a gaming ecosystem as a whole. As opposed to [on console], my gaming is kind of sharded — to use a gaming term — based on these different closed ecosystems that I have to play across."

Another obvious step in Microsoft scorched earth strategy. If we are forced to be third party publisher and cant sustain our own dedicated hardware, in the meantime we will try hands off but locked down masked pc which will be naturally higher priced and less supported masquerading as console. At the same time we will push PR to regulators to try to pull the rug from under others.

As for becoming behemoth software publisher. What do we have? Firstly declining old IPs, with studios holding them not knowing how to reinvigorate them. secondly , few middle size developers who have yet to prove themselves long term under the new org. Thirdly call of duty declining and Bethesda which does't have the same clout like in Skyrim days. All this looks to be build on shaky grounds . Maybe this will pan out or will look like Nokia acquisition in reverse.

BTW Only month after "the podcast" Narrative is moved one shade to obvious direction. There is no better CEO at PR maneuvers in this industry than him.

it's the same issue on playstation, ubisoft and EA accounts linked to your PSN account.
Yeah I'm not doing it to be honest. If a game with an offline mode requires me to make an account I'm not doing it tbh. The only EA games I really play are Fifa and I dont sign into an account, I havent played in a while I hope they havent mandated it. But I know MSFT eliminated some of the logins for playing Watchdogs so now you dont need to login to play it. But it left a bad taste in my mouth, never spending money on that series again. I'll see what they do with Splinter Cell though

Yeah, Phil is already laying PR groundwork, direct quotes from recent interview.

Another obvious step in Microsoft scorched earth strategy. If we are forced to be third party publisher and cant sustain our own dedicated hardware, in the meantime we will try hands off but locked down masked pc which will be naturally higher priced and less supported masquerading as console. At the same time we will push PR to regulators to try to pull the rug from under others.

As for becoming behemoth software publisher. What do we have? Firstly declining old IPs, with studios holding them not knowing how to reinvigorate them. secondly , few middle size developers who have yet to prove themselves long term under the new org. Thirdly call of duty declining and Bethesda which does't have the same clout like in Skyrim days. All this looks to be build on shaky grounds . Maybe this will pan out or will look like Nokia acquisition in reverse.

BTW Only month after "the podcast" Narrative is moved one shade to obvious direction. There is no better CEO at PR maneuvers in this industry than him.

This!! This is whats being done.

I actually mentioned that a few post ago, and funny enough, a CNBC piece echoed something similar, and not just Microsoft, but others such as EA and Take Two can leverage their IPs strengths on forcing change.

Same with Steam, and yes, it's highly annoying. And certain Steam games still require you to install another game launcher or storefront, like Origin/EA, Battle.net, Rockstar, Ubisoft, and so-on.
Yup, you were 100% right!!

Why is all this negativity in the Xbox threads?

How come all the Xbox gamers I know are quite happy with what's going on?

I wasn't sad when I get to play MLB The Show, FFXIV, Diablo 4 and Persona 4 for about $10 each this year.

You guys should give it a rest. Xbox has been "dying" for 20 years. Yet here we are. :)

I think Phil Spencer is going to be the guy that finishes off the Xbox brand. I suspect MSFT is going to try to destabilize Sony and Nintendo's business model to force multiple game app stores onto their systems. This is Phil's long term plan considering he's now saying he's working on bringing on Epic Games store to the Xbox. They could eventually sue Sony for monopolistic game app store.

What is happening might be the conclusion they got from the Apple Store class action trial that the console business concept of the past might have no future.

Reminds me of when I bought my first Ubisoft title(Watch Dogs) for my brand new Series X and I was required to create and sign into a Ubisoft account to play a single player game I had just paid full price for. One of the worst gaming experiences really. Driven by greed and a disregard for user experience. Never played the game and took it as a loss. I dont buy Ubisoft games anymore because of this experience. If Xbox moves in this direction where multiple companies have you sign up to multiple game app stores I will just move back to Playstation.

UBI apparently wants to keep a direct link to their customer for probably/marketing reasons. Most if not all the UBI games I've played since then have this UBI store link.

IMHO the ship has sailed with logins limited to your console provider. EA does it too and Bungie.
In case of Bungie my account has links to Amazon Prime, Epic, Twitch...

You can get game related content that way you might not get otherwise.

P.S. I really enjoyed Watchdogs and not experiencing The Division1-2,Origin/Odyssey is something I would consider a real loss in my gaming history.

What is happening might be the conclusion they got from the Apple Store class action trial that the console business concept of the past might have no future.
Exactly! But its going to backfire when it comes to imposing third party gaming stores on Sony and Nintendo platforms. It could jeopardize the Epic case as well which imho has never held water. But its quite clear at the moment that thats where MSFT is going with their gaming business model. They're going to simply buy up studios and create unified GDK for OEMs that use MSFT's operating system. And then they'll try to impose 3rd party gaming stores on Sony & Nintendo if they cant buy Nintendo for example. Because in the leaks Phil specifically stated his intention of buying Nintendo. Its quite absurd the thinking of some of these executives. They have no capacity for creativity but just to buy and change(for better or worse) what others have made.

Back