Will case size limit Revolution's processing capability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PC-Engine

Banned
Continued from other thread:

There is still the thermal power issue, and that is explicitly what my reply was intended to address. The fact remains, the GC had a "quiet windtunnel" largely because it was in a considerably different heat output realm than an XB, not because windtunnels have some super magical cooling property. Whether or not performance parity was actually reached GFLOP for GFLOP, that is up for long debate, to which no conclusive answer may be possible, anyway.

Right and that's where the Revolution vs Xbox 360 comes in. Both the CPU and GPU in Xbox ran at higher clockspeeds than Gekko and Flipper by about 30-40%. This higher clockspeed will obviously translate to higher power consumption and heat output assuming similar process nodes. Coincidently this clock advantage also points to higher overall theoretical processing power. Whether this difference between Xbox and GCN will be similar between Xbox360 and Revolution nobody knows. I say the possibility is there, but I don't see the case size dictating whether it's possible or not. As we've seen when comparing GCN vs Xbox, it clearly shows that case size is not a factor at all and this supports the assumption that it is indeed possible for Revolution to be within a certain percentage of processing power of Xbox 360 and still be housed in a small case especially when it's coming out 1 year later. Another thing to remember is that GCN didn't come out one year later than Xbox. Now assuming Xbox 360 isn't outputing several hundered watts of power. I think it's not unreasonable to conclude that it's possible.

Anyway, anybody have the power consumption figure for the currrent Xbox?

So where do you place the Rev in power consumption? 40 W? 60 W? 200 W? I think it is clear you intend to imply that Nintendo will come up with a Rev design that manages to match PS3 and XB2 in performance while somehow low-balling power consumption by a great amount. Question is...what do you think it will be, smarty? Are you afraid to go on record on this, despite your strong, seemingly authoritive stance in all peripheral areas to the issue?

The point isn't what the actual power consumption is. The point is, the evidence shows that it's possible and well within the realm of reality. The power consumption of Revolution will depend on what Nintendo's goals are and at this point we don't know that answer. They've only gone on record as saying low power. Again the possiblity is there, whether or not Nintendo choses that route is up to them.

...comparable processing power, maybe. Smaller heat output, definitely, and it also puts the "quiet cool" windtunnel in a totally different perspective than you were willing to admit earlier. If it was a mere 5 W, would that still be impressive how quiet it is? Of course, not! It's quiet simply because it's job isn't particularly taxing given the device in question. If it must then handle 200/250/300 W, it may not be so quiet anymore, and that is the rude awakening you have set yourself up for.

What's stopping Nintendo from running at a lower clock? The PS3's CELL chip has over 200 GFLOPS of processing power yet it's running at the same clock as the Xbox 360's CPU. What would happen if you clocked that CELL chip at at 2 GHz instead? What would happen to the power consumption? ;)

You seem to have jumped too quickly w/o researching. That a laptop has a 200 W power brick, doesn't necessarily mean the laptop will shed off 200 W continuously. How do you know it may pull 200 W for 5 min, temperatures permitting, and then go into a low-power mode after 5 minutes to keep a lid on things? How do you know the processor/RAM/HD isn't resorting to extreme duty cycling to make brief draws of 200 W possible, but no where near on a continuous basis? Are you aware of the fan noise present under peak loads? A laptop has to go through ridiculous measures to keep from blowing its stack, regardless of any "200 W" rating. It's not impossible to find it drawing peaks of 200 W for a moment, but then classifying it as a small case that can dissipate a continuous 200 W may have no bearing in truth, whatsoever. For all you know, an effective continuous rating may not be any more than 60 W (pervasive, extensive duty cycling can really do wonders). Could you honestly be surprised if it was? No doubt it is an extremely specialized and tuned device to do what it does. Comparing "watts" to "watts" from a laptop to a console can be a stretch.

I guess you are not aware that you can benchmark laptops for sustained performance too without some heat alarm kicking in. The fan operating at full speed isn't that loud contrary to what you would like to believe. Also the throttling is mainly for conserving battery life not reducing heat. You can run said notebook at full throttle for benchmarking using AC without any meltdown or blown eardrums. :LOL:

Just how far do you think that can be stretched??? This time you won't even have the different ISA's to fudge. Everybody will be using PPC parts of some sort, and both XB2 and Rev will have some sort of ATI "God-card". Chances are processing power-to-thermal power indices will be pretty close, unless you are expecting a miracle.

It all depends on the design. Just looking at AMD vs Intel, AMD chips often run at lower clockspeeds with lower power consumption yet compare favorably with the Intel chips and they both are using the same ISA. Or just look at the CELL in PS3 based on a PPC vs the XeCPU.

Thinner fins become less efficient in exposing T-core to surface area.

Actually thinner means faster heat transfer. This is basic thermodynamics. We're not talking about conducting electricity, we're talking about conducting heat.

Naturally, you will be shoving more fins closer together, if you bothered to make them thinner- so up goes your drag.

You make no sense at all. If you start out with 10 thick fins then changed it to 10 thin fins, the thin ones will be farther apart than the thick ones assuming they're fixed in the same positions. As a result you're getting less friction yet faster heat transfer from processor to fin. Not only that but instead of 10 fins you can now add maybe two more since you've decreased the friction somewhat by going thinner. So now you have 12 thin fins with 20%more surface area yet the friction has only gone up by a few percentages which is already low to begin with. As a result you don't even need to increase the fan RPMs at all.

Taller fins are less efficient in exposing T-core to surface area, unless you make them thicker.

Wrong see above.

Again, you can only go so far... So now your taller, thicker fins will be "closer" as a result of them being thicker.

Wrong see above.

Now your air passage has become occupied by more metal and less air passage==>higher velocity==>higher drag==>which requires stronger fans to truly realize the increased heat transfer you were after in the first place. Adding more fins in total also decreases your air channel, and with all of your suggestions in place, you end up with an air channel that looks a lot more restrictive than free flowing... Now you say you would then increase the size of the air passage, but that is only assuming you had the space to grow your cooler in the first place. Maybe you didn't. Now what? It's not so easy, is it? Does that mean you picked the "stupid way" then? Maybe you are simply encountering "reality" just like anyone else?

Since everything that followed is based on the first assumption, I don't think I need to address them since your first assumption was flawed to begin with. So I say again. Wrong see above.

So then you end up with the sorts of heatsinks you find on 60/100/200 W car amps (and I have seen evidence that even those can be undersized to pull off the claimed power outputs for sustained periods. Do you honestly envision these kinds of heatsinks fitted within a GC case for your premise? That's going to be a bit hard since the heatsinks are easily bigger than the GC, itself. Suffice to say, you were more credible keeping your configurations fan-based.

Who said anything about not needing a fan in a console? The point about fanless systems was to shoot down your flawed argument where "Alternately, you could just keep the same fin surface area and increase flow rate/air velocity. Very much the same outcome will result- more drag ==> pressure loss ==> more fan blowage ==> highly likely more noise."

I'll just repost what I said previously:

Faster air flow doesn't automatically mean better cooling. The limit is the rate at which the heat from heatsink is taken away. This is not entirely up to the fan. Taken to extremes if your heatsink is tiny, no amount of air would be sufficient to overcome the limitation of the heatsink. That's why HSF cooling efficiency needs to be calculated as a whole not individually. Wouldn't it be funny if you hooked up a motorcycle engine to a bicycle trainy?

I guess you have yet to display that from the points you have written so far.

Only to people who have yet to learn how to read.

Precisely, it is the argument. If you have created 100 W of heat, your endpoint will be called upon to dissipate [gasp] 100 W of heat.

Uh no it isn't. Trying to dissipate a processor that's giving off 100 watts of heat in a dumb design will be more difficult than a smart design, but only a smart person can see this. The dumb person unfortunately cannot see this. In fact I suspect the Xbox is big not because it had more processing power and more heat to manage. It probably had more to do with that big motherboard. They probably didn't even need to go smart with regards to the cooling system.

It seems what jvd said about you is true and you have a knack for ignoring what others have posted only to later come back and pretend it didn't exist in the first place when you get smacked in the face with it. Since you seemed to have ignored it the first time, I'll post it again:

PCE wrote:

You can't just talk about the endpoint to suit your own argument and ignore the heat being dumped back into a case in a DUMB design like Xbox and standard PC designs. Go back to page 3 or 4 where I first mention the liquid metal cooling solution and the flexibility it allows in terms of routing flexibility. It's kinda amusing watching you shift back and forth with little room you have left. If the liquid metal system needs to be at a high temperture to flow/work then all you need to do is enclose the apparatus in an air chamber that's connected to the exhaust port fan so the air can come in at the inlet port close to the processors and out through the exhaust port close to the outside of the case similar to the GCN. This will prevent the dumping of heat back into the case unlike the standard "HSF over processor" cooling design. With the standard design you need massive airflows just to get the heat out of the case because it has to fight all sorts stagnant hot air inside the case.

Next time try quoting within context. ;)

True, they could be better, but it doesn't magically erase the plain logistical implications of dissipating 100/200/300 watts at whatever endpoint of your choosing.

Nobody said a certain case size can dissipate unlimited amounts of heat. :LOL:

Yeah, sounds great, except "routing flexibility" was not exactly some terrible obstacle in the first place (you got smart engineers working on this, right?). Your bringing up "flexibility" all of a sudden reaks of "a solution looking for a problem", rather than the more important "a problem has found a solution".

The more options you have the more flexibility it provides. With a small case more options is always better than less options. This is common sense for those who have it.

...revisionist commentary aside...

Please site where you have proven me and jvd wrong other than Mr. and Mrs. Scarecrow arguments...

Wow, genius! ...also more space invested into the cooling componentry. Maybe you are better off just sticking with a case fan to evacuate the internal airspace? It's not such a taboo solution, unless you have some terrible hatred for case fans. It's simply a design element, pce, not a religious idealogy...

More space? If it's low profile then how is it more space? The Revolution has a low profile case unlike the GCN so things have to be designed differently. The liquid metal cooling is just an alternative to the heatpipe and HSF variety. There's a reason why the top of the line laptops use heatpipes instead of just the standard HSF frantically blowing stupidly and loudly. :LOL:

Wow! Sounds positively awful when you describe it. Maybe you only need massive airflow on the heatsink, and moderate airflow at the case to ensure adequate and regular air refresh? It may not be ideal, but it does work. Also, nothing stops you from placing the local heatsink in its own circulated plenum that intakes and exhausts to outer ambient, as well. No biggy. There's plenty of options available out there, beyond forcing a black or white, stupid way/not stupid way interpretation on things.

Once you get into the separate chambers, tunnels, ducts you've already crossed the line from dumb design and into intelligent cooling design. With a small case you have to design smart. You can't just brute force it with big noisy fans or multiple fans.

No, it's bobo because you gloss over the details to the point of irrelevance.

Unless you can explain how your point is relevent, then I don't see how it isn't. Again we're not talking about transplanting the innerds of a Xbox into a GCN or a Xbox 360 into a Revolution. If we did, the GCN would be nearly the size of the Xbox purely from the size of the motherboard alone. ;)

Right there, you may find PPC did have a good amount to do with it. Now that all 3 of the usual suspects will be onboard with PPC, you may not find the processing-to-heat prospect to be of adequate variance to your liking. Whether or not GCN even met your processing claim is still further conjecture. For all you know GCN may have even been behind PS2 in processing (but surely not feature set). I'm sure you are quite amenable to claiming XB was 2x PS2, so if GCN came out to less than half of XB, that certainly blows a rather big hole in your processing-to-heat assertion. Like I said, that's all rather deep conjecture at that point.

So now you are trying to say GCN is less powerful than PS2? Shall we go back and dig up your magical GS GFLOPS claim again??? :LOL: It's common knowledge that GCN is between PS2 and Xbox in processing performance, of course we could always depend on you to claim otherwise. :LOL:

ridiculous...what that has to do with me is even further irrelevant.

You were the one who suggested inplanted GCN with Xbox innerds.

You read that and thought I was taking issue with a remote heatsink??? You've gone utterly coherent, at this point...

I already addressed that example. Here I'll post it...again.

If the liquid metal system needs to be at a high temperture to flow/work then all you need to do is enclose the apparatus in an air chamber that's connected to the exhaust port fan so the air can come in at the inlet port close to the processors and out through the exhaust port close to the outside of the case similar to the GCN. This will prevent the dumping of heat back into the case unlike the standard "HSF over processor" cooling design. With the standard design you need massive airflows just to get the heat out of the case because it has to fight all sorts stagnant hot air inside the case. Also it is easier to get fresh air from near the outside of the case then deep insided.

I mention "strawman argument", and now you can't wait to work it into your own material. Geezus, that's classic pce!

Well it's water under the bridge at this point. :LOL:

No one suggested the "unsmart design" you've described, other than your twisted recollection of what people have said. Whether or not you have the option to enlarge airflow passage at will depends entirely if you had the room to spare in the first place. Maybe you do, maybe you don't. Maybe you should be more explicit about your solutions, so everyone can be on the same page ("pce's page", at least)?

You were the one rushing to poke holes at something you didn't completely understand. That's not my problem.

Blows heat off the "heat element(s)" onto the exit of the chamber, doesn't it? It does so extremely effectively, I might add. Maybe Nintendo has the intellectual goods to come up with a "stealth blowdryer", right?

Boy are you losing it. The purpose of the fan in a hair dryer is to BLAST the hot air through a narrow port in order to increase its velocity to BLOW DRY your hair. You are aware that on some hair dryers, you can independently turn off the heating element right? I'm sorry but you're simple wasting my time with BS analogies because you've run out of valid analogies.

Just not the amount of heat you think, perhaps? I know you cannot resist to take it as the gospel, now, but your failure to consider the impacts of duty-cycle and peak vs. continuous loads in that scenario precludes you from realizing the ambiguity of the number given.

I've already addressed this in my reply above.

Sure they are interconnected, but still not interchangeable. So that makes you wrong on 2 counts. Too bad for you...

So you've invited Mrs. Scarecrow now? How long before Scarecrow Jr. appears?

Whether or not "recirculation" takes place or not will greatly rely, again, on the airflow management. It may be recirculating a lot or very little (or somewhere in between), but I'm guessing this is another case of you giving a comparison between "worst of" to "best of". You seem to absolutely dismiss the scenario where the affected part in the large case is always exposed to the path of incoming fresh, cool air, while warmed air is always closer on its path to the exhaust (not recirculating). The flowrate is exactly the same, but the velocity may be lower. A large case need not have utterly indeterminant flow within. Horses for courses...

You were the one to bring up DRAG as an argument. When I showed you drag was insignificant in a design like the GCN, you quickly retorted to using a bigger fan with bigger CFM and ignoring case volume to suit your own argument. Your argument was small size = more drag which I've repeatedly proved to be logically flawed. Are you saying the Xbox was designed from the ground up to be the best in cooling design? I'm sorry but best versus best does not apply here. You're trying to create a level playing field but that's just not how it works in the real world. It's just as flawed as your ideal world where everyone is using the same architectures and the same cooling designs. At the end of the day X CFM will be able to cycle air throughout the whole case many more times as the case volume decreases. This is so basic it's not even worth mentioning.

It may need to if it has to shed 200 or 300 W continuous in a GC-sized case w/o shutdown or ceasing of gaming activity...but in your mind they would never have to cuz dey got da "magic tunnel", eh?

I think Nintendo has smarter people working on their cooling system. Well at least smart enough to not base their decisions on coin flipping.

Unknown to you, perhaps. Perhaps you feel it is unwise, because even you can see the trend does not help out your point. All we've seen from you is an insistence that a low-velocity windtunnel and liquid metal cooling in a near GC-sized case will suffice to cool a perceived embodiment of Rev that manages processing parity with PS3/XB2, implements equivalent or greater PPC/ATI processing elements, yet uses considerably less electrical power, ultimately. No one at all aims to prevent you from holding to that scenario as truth. I won't even resort to calling you names like "stupid" and such, insult you, accuse you of flipflopping, etc. for believing it. It makes no difference to me if you do believe or not. Now if you can do the same for me, perhaps we can truly share the same playing field when it comes to "sportsmanly conduct"?

You need to face reality and come to grips with what has been shown in the form of GCN's design vs a competing console that was released at roughly the same time using similar technology. In fact you have not shown any evidence that it would be impossible to design Revolution to be at parity with Xbox 360 processing capabilty while contained in a small form factor.

The mysterious controller of Revolution as big as the console itself has a second CPU in it :LOL:

PC-Engine said:
What would happen if you clocked that CELL chip at at 2 GHz instead? What would happen to the power consumption?
PC-Engine said:
It all depends on the design. Just looking at AMD vs Intel, AMD chips often run at lower clockspeeds with lower power consumption yet compare favorably with the Intel chips and they both are using the same ISA.
You know, SPU in Cell has a totally different ISA...
Or do you think they'll add something like Physics Processing Unit to Revolution?

IMO Xbox was unnecessarily big. In other words it wasn't big because it was super powerful, it was just big. Call it poor design if you want, or maybe it was intentional. Maybe they wanted to make it a "beastly" looking system, like a big truck. That's a good analogy, because small well designed engines can often outperform huge engines.

one said:
The mysterious controller of Revolution as big as the console itself has a second CPU in it :LOL:

PC-Engine said:
What would happen if you clocked that CELL chip at at 2 GHz instead? What would happen to the power consumption?
PC-Engine said:
It all depends on the design. Just looking at AMD vs Intel, AMD chips often run at lower clockspeeds with lower power consumption yet compare favorably with the Intel chips and they both are using the same ISA.
You know, SPU in Cell has a totally different ISA...
Or do you think they'll add something like Physics Processing Unit to Revolution?

Yes I know CELL has a hybrid ISA. The point I was trying to show is even chips with the same ISA can have different clockspeeds and hence lower power consumption and still be comparable in performance like Intel and AMD chips.

Anyway as I've said this before, they can go triple core (two identical cores + a PPU-like 3rd core). Just think about it. If CELL can have one core and a bunch of smaller ones, what's stopping Nintendo from going a similar route with their own smaller core(s)? Answer: Nothing is stopping them. They have the money to ask for whatever they think they can build. Even MS could've gone the 2 core plus smaller cores route, but they chose a different route.

I think ideally I'd go for two PPC cores + 4 smaller coprocessing cores. Something analogous to two PPC cores with 4 double pumped VMX units. :devilish:

Will a small case size limit Revolution's potential processing power? Of course. Anyone who argues otherwise is a fool. Will it limit it by a harmful degree? We shall see. I'd like to think that with 18 months extra development time Nintendo can match X360, or at least come close, in a far smaller case.

In 18 months NVIDIA went from the 5800 Ultra to the 6600 vanilla, which matched it in performance (and flattened it in DX9), yet pumped a fraction of the heat.

Fodder said:
Will a small case size limit Revolution's potential processing power? Of course. Anyone who argues otherwise is a fool. Will it limit it by a harmful degree? We shall see. I'd like to think that with 18 months extra development time Nintendo can match X360, or at least come close, in a far smaller case.

That's what I meant, but the thread subject box can only fit so many characters. :)

what's stopping Nintendo from going a similar route with their own smaller core(s)? Answer: Nothing is stopping them. They have the money to ask for whatever they think they can build.

Yeah right kind of right but the question that I have for you is, 'is Nintendo willing to spend the money that Sony spent?' I'm pretty sure that its not possible to make a system smaller than what they shown and go with something like you said.

This is what you said Nintendo could go with.
I think ideally I'd go for two PPC cores + 4 smaller coprocessing cores. Something analogous to two PPC cores with 4 double pumped VMX units

Again I don't think its possible to do that and have close to the same amount of power and have a super small machine and have the price of the console cheaper.

mckmas8808 said:
what's stopping Nintendo from going a similar route with their own smaller core(s)? Answer: Nothing is stopping them. They have the money to ask for whatever they think they can build.

Yeah right kind of right but the question that I have for you is, 'is Nintendo willing to spend the money that Sony spent?' I'm pretty sure that its not possible to make a system smaller than what they shown and go with something like you said.

This is what you said Nintendo could go with.
I think ideally I'd go for two PPC cores + 4 smaller coprocessing cores. Something analogous to two PPC cores with 4 double pumped VMX units

Again I don't think its possible to do that and have close to the same amount of power and have a super small machine and have the price of the console cheaper.

Well as has been posted before Nintendo spent around $1 billion dollars for the Gekko deal. I don't think spending money is an issue. Also two PPC cores with 4 VMX units doesn't sound that expensive or exotic. Also AFAIK SONY only spent around half a billion for CELL. If it's going to be using 65nm then it's easily doable.

Fodder said:

Agreed. Not to mention that they could use the liquid-metal cooling technology to handle any heat-output issues.

BRiT said:
Agreed. Not to mention that they could use the liquid-metal cooling technology to handle any heat-output issues.

A lot of misconceptions of what that heat exchanger will do. It doesn't solve the cooling problem, just makes the packaging smaller. That "liquid-metal" is like engine coolant. It absorbs all the heat from the engine, so the engine is cooler. But where'd the heat go? Now you've got hot coolant, which still needs to be cooled in another way. So that heat exchanger still needs a fansink, or something like it. Which means you still gotta mount the fans and have the noise associated with it and so on. I stopped debating it since there's really no point anymore. It's a basic thermal engineering problem that won't go away, no matter how long you debate it.

Nintendo's solutions are:

1. smaller process
2. lower voltage
3. lower clock speed
4. all of the above

PEACE.

Well as has been posted before Nintendo spent around $1 billion dollars for the Gekko deal. I don't think spending money is an issue.

I personally think that most of that money will go to making everything smaller while not giving up too much power. I just don't see them having a system that can output games months in a months out like the PS3 or X360 will have. But your right if they go 65nm then who knows. :?

MechanizedDeath said:
BRiT said:

A lot of misconceptions of what that heat exchanger will do. It doesn't solve the cooling problem, just makes the packaging smaller. That "liquid-metal" is like engine coolant. It absorbs all the heat from the engine, so the engine is cooler. But where'd the heat go? Now you've got hot coolant, which still needs to be cooled in another way. So that heat exchanger still needs a fansink, or something like it. Which means you still gotta mount the fans and have the noise associated with it and so on. I stopped debating it since there's really no point anymore. It's a basic thermal engineering problem that won't go away, no matter how long you debate it.

1. smaller process
2. lower voltage
3. lower clock speed
4. all of the above

PEACE.

That liquid metal cooling solution offers the same advantages as heatpipes used in space restricted laptops. Fox5 has already shown that some highend laptops output more than 3 times the amount of heat than a GCN yet you don't see them using 50dB snow blowers either. If you look at that Saphire graphics card, you see that it isn't that big at all and doesn't need a huge heatsink either. Not only that but the chip that it's cooling is a ATI RADEONâ„¢ X850 XT Platinum Edition Chipset running at 540MHz and fab on 130nm. What's stopping Nintendo from using this single unit to cool both the CPU and GPU? Answer: It's certainly not that it wouldn't fit in a Revolution case. ;)

Here is a picture of the standard non-liquid ATI cooler.

card1.jpg

Look at that HS, does it look big to you? You telling me a GPU made on 90nm tech or smaller running at 500MHz would need something significantly bigger? Also notice the chamber where it exhausts the hot air straight out of the case. ;)

Nice little diagram of the liquid metal cooling system.

liquidmetal_setup_diagram.gif

image11_lg_img_isis_LM_lg.jpg

PC-Engine said:
MechanizedDeath said:
BRiT said:

1. smaller process
2. lower voltage
3. lower clock speed
4. all of the above

PEACE.

That liquid metal cooling solution offers the same advantages as heatpipes used in space restricted laptops. Fox5 has already shown that some highend laptops output more than 3 times the amount of heat than a GCN yet you don't see them using 50dB snow blowers either. If you look at that Saphire graphics card, you see that it isn't that big at all and doesn't need a huge heatsink either. Not only that but the chip that it's cooling is a ATI RADEONâ„¢ X850 XT Platinum Edition Chipset running at 540MHz and fab on 130nm. What's stopping Nintendo from using this single unit to cool both the CPU and GPU? Answer: It's certainly not that it wouldn't fit in a Revolution case. ;)

card1.jpg

Look at that HS, does it look big to you? You telling me a GPU made on 90nm tech or smaller running at 500MHz would need something significantly bigger? Also notice the chamber where it exhausts the hot air straight out of the case. ;)

liquidmetal_setup_diagram.gif

image11_lg_img_isis_LM_lg.jpg

It doesn't get anymore obvious than that.

PC-Engine said:

How much power will the Rev be disippating? How much are these designs you're showing me disippating? How much more space in a PC case is there for cooling? The more air you have around the heat source, the slower the internal temperature will be raised. *sigh* You know what? You're right. Rev will have no problem matching X360 and PS3 in a case with less than half the total volume. :rolleyes: Now I'm gonna go put in a smaller radiator in my car and hope it doesn't overheat after 100 miles. I'm not gonna bother. I'll wait for the even smaller Rev design to be revealed and for the power deficit to make itself apparent. PEACE.

MechanizedDeath said:
PC-Engine said:

How much power will the Rev be disippating? How much are these designs you're showing me disippating? How much more space in a PC case is there for cooling? The more air you have around the heat source, the slower the internal temperature will be raised. *sigh* You know what? You're right. Rev will have no problem matching X360 and PS3 in a case with less than half the total volume. :rolleyes: Now I'm gonna go put in a smaller radiator in my car and hope it doesn't overheat after 100 miles. I'm not gonna bother. I'll wait for the even smaller Rev design to be revealed and for the power deficit to make itself apparent. PEACE.

Doesn't matter how much air you have inside the case if the hot air is contained in a chamber directly exhausting to the outside of the case. ;)

As a matter of fact the air inside a PC case would likely be at a higher temperature due to the fact the CPU cooler is a dumb design dumping heat straight back into the case. :LOL:

And let's not even talk about all of the other PC cards, HDDs, etc. dumping heat into the case.

How much power will the Rev be disippating? How much are these designs you're showing me disippating? How much more space in a PC case is there for cooling? The more air you have around the heat source, the slower the internal temperature will be raised. *sigh* You know what? You're right. Rev will have no problem matching X360 and PS3 in a case with less than half the total volume. Rolling Eyes Now I'm gonna go put in a smaller radiator in my car and hope it doesn't overheat after 100 miles. I'm not gonna bother. I'll wait for the even smaller Rev design to be revealed and for the power deficit to make itself apparent. PEACE.

I believe these designs are dissapating between 150-180 watts.
Revolution will have the advantage of 90nm or 65nm, but honestly I don't think the gpu's heat, especially since the gpu will most likely be running at a lower speed than the max it can handle, will be a huge problem, it'll come down more to the cpus and how fast they're running and how many cores. One cpu would be easy to handle, but I don't think the x360 triple core cpu could be done in a case the size of the revolution.

All you have to do is look at the diagram and the image of the real thing.

The liquid metal heats from passing over the core, it then moves on to be cooled by the fan that also has a heatsink. The cooled liquid metal continues on to keep the core from over heating. With the air directed at the back of the case, add a exhaust fan to help pulled that hot air out the console.

This also considering the fact the liquid metal coolant has a boiling point of 2000C.

The 1T-SRAM-Q memory being used is a low power consumption design.

Fox5 said:
How much power will the Rev be disippating? How much are these designs you're showing me disippating? How much more space in a PC case is there for cooling? The more air you have around the heat source, the slower the internal temperature will be raised. *sigh* You know what? You're right. Rev will have no problem matching X360 and PS3 in a case with less than half the total volume. Rolling Eyes Now I'm gonna go put in a smaller radiator in my car and hope it doesn't overheat after 100 miles. I'm not gonna bother. I'll wait for the even smaller Rev design to be revealed and for the power deficit to make itself apparent. PEACE.

I believe these designs are dissapating between 150-180 watts.
Revolution will have the advantage of 90nm or 65nm, but honestly I don't think the gpu's heat, especially since the gpu will most likely be running at a lower speed than the max it can handle, will be a huge problem, it'll come down more to the cpus and how fast they're running and how many cores. One cpu would be easy to handle, but I don't think the x360 triple core cpu could be done in a case the size of the revolution.

I could see a CPU design similar mix between CELL and XeCPU but downclocked to 2 GHz giving you over 100 GFLOPS of calculation ability. Maybe something like dual core with 4 VMX units and 512kb cache total running at 2 GHz.

Ooh-videogames said:
The 1T-SRAM-Q memory being used is a low power consumption design.

If this is true then I suspect it will use SSR technology.

http://www.elpida.com/en/news/2005/01-13.html

Elpida's Super Self Refresh Technology
SSR is a new circuit technology which dramatically extends the internal refresh interval by working with embedded Error Correction Circuit (ECC), which checks and corrects the data when exiting the self refresh cycle. The SSR function simply replaces the self refresh that is familiar in conventional SDRAMs. Utilizing an on-chip temperature sensor commonly known as Auto Temperature Compensated Self Refresh (ATCSR), SSR also automatically adjusts the self refresh timing to compensate for internal temperature variations. Devices with embedded SSR technology require only minuscule self refresh current (IDD6), as low as 40µA (typical) at 25°C, 150µA at 70°C, and 250µA at 85°C. This is merely one twentieth of the current requirement compared with similar devices that do not include SSR technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back