Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

I didn't find that particularly impressive...until halfway, when I saw it's animating 'volumetric' geometry!
Yea I didn't get it until I saw the silhouette. That's pretty cool. I assume the game is entirely unaware of these geometry changes? Like for collision/physics and stuff.

This could be a game changer for multi-platform games that utilise Unreal Engine 5. Should get better image quality and performance on consoles and PC. Hopefully existing games get upgraded to it. Immortals of Aveum is running 60% faster than 5.1. That is bigger than the difference between the standard PS5 and high-end PS5 releasing soon in terms of rendering performance so a huge win and is going to make a big difference especially for the much weaker Series S console.

Will be interesting to see if target resolution and framerates get better and smoother with new game releases and existing releases that get updated to this engine version.
software VRS. Was it mentionned before ?
Yes.

I think this is a contribution from The Coalition to UE5
The new stuff (Nanite material shading rate pixels/quads stuff and software VRS) Is all from the Nanite folks, although it shares the contrast analysis stuff with the hardware path, which I believe was indeed originally contributed by The Coalition.

Bunch of good info in this talk for those with GDC Vault access:

Last edited:
Back