Star Ocean: The Divine Force [PS4, PS5, XO, XBSX|S, PC]

Dr. Nick

Veteran

Today Square-Enix has announced that the 6th installment of the Tri-Ace developed series will be released in 2022, just missing the 25th anniversary of the series.
The last time I posted about this series on this forum, it was for the Last Hope. Back then, I let Tri-Ace have it for what I felt was the game's ridiculous presentation that, despite the great gameplay, ruined the game IMO. Well, I think I'll give them another shot.
Field video

Star Ocean: The Divine Force announced for PS5, Xbox Series, PS4, Xbox One, and PC - Gematsu

Last edited:
That looks dated as heck.

Hopefully that means it'll also come out on Nintendo Switch

As I usually like star ocean gameplay

Why isn't it coming to the Switch?

Or rather, if it's not coming to the Switch then why are they sticking to an engine that seems to be obviously limited by Nintendo's hardware?

If they're with Square Enix and targeting 8th gen as minimum specs, they could have used Unreal Engine or even Luminous..

In 2009, Outside of Capcom, Tri-Ace was probably the only developer in Japan that could compete with the best of the west graphically. It is too bad that they squandered that opportunity with the Last Hope. Very impressive tech from Japan at the time. While most devs in Japan were still turning out PS2.3 games, they were showing off tech that was more impressive than what most devs in the west could put in their games at the time.

With that said, now it is even tougher to compete on the same level as Epic, especially when UE4 really took off. Also, cross-gen does not help.

Last edited:
It looks pretty good for a cross-gen game that's not even getting that large of a budget from Square Enix. The combat systems in these games are great.

I've been waiting for an update on this game before saying the following. What I am about to say is more Xbox oriented, but there were 20 JRPGs released for the Xbox 360 during the 360/PS3 generation. 13 of which I consider to be both significant and true JRPGs. Tri-Ace either was responsible for or worked on 5 of them of all of the JRPGs released. So, either 25% (20) or 38% (13). They worked on Star Ocean:TLH, Resonance of Fate, Infinite Undiscovery, Final Fantasy XIII-2, and Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII. They also happened to have the best-selling game for the 360 in Japan. One can argue that no other developer delivered more of what Microsoft needed in Japan at the time than Tri-Ace.

I don't know what happened between Microsoft and Tri-Ace by the end of that generation of games. I think someone could write a fascinating book about Microsoft's endeavor in Japan during the 360/PS3 era. I can't imagine that all of the developers that made games for Microsoft Japan were happy with Microsoft by the end of that generation. If they were still on good terms, all things considered, Tri-Ace seems like a developer that would deliver what Microsoft needs over there and within a reasonable amount of time. So, Microsoft should pursue some type of partnership with this dev. This time around, I expect things to be more successful for developers thanks to PC gaming, which I have to admit has slipped my mind in past discussions related to Xbox exclusives in Japan.

I think the weird photoreal anime face thing is just a star ocean staple now. Resonance of Fate from Tri-ace had way better modeling.

1654170216404.jpeg

I was too busy this morning and missed the presentation. Here are some videos. Game releases October 27th
English
Japanese
Main Characters and combat

More info can be found here.

Fly Around Areas Freely
In Star Ocean: The Divine Force, characters can freely move in 360° degrees and roam the skies.​
Move and Explore Freely in Three Dimensions: Everything You See Can Be Explored!
You can move in three dimensions whilst flying around the largest environment ever.​
Whether you’re flying around and exploring rockfaces and roofs of buildings in the city, or leaping off cliffs to seamlessly enter battles, you’ll have more freedom in terms of both adventuring and battling.​
The Fastest and Strongest Action of Any in the Series
While the game will give you space to play as you please, the scope of its battles has also evolved.​
Characters can subdue a large number of enemies with super high-speed movement attacks, special abilities where you can vanish for a brief moment from right in front of your enemies’ eyes, and a skill which could kill in one hit!​
This game will feature a challenging yet thrilling battle experience to enjoy while freely soaring in the skies.​

any info on whether this will be XPA?

i mean so i can cheat on PC, then play on xbox. just like what i did with yakuza like a dragon. so i can skip the boring slog cruft/fillers

Miss the days when I was reading the PBR tutorials from Tri-Ace, and sadly the graphics still looks the same as those. They just don’t get the money to r&d no more.

It does have a weird charm though.

Back