Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart [PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
Gotta say this is one very pretty game. And great fun too from what I've played so far - which for testing purposes is up to the first rift sequence and no further - I'll wait a few patches more to play it properly.

I've settled on max everything apart from RT shadows off as I'm not convinced they're a net win right now and there's a fair bit a of performance to be saved there. Running at 3600x1600 DLSS Q with FG and capped through RTSS at 80fps. It's pretty much a flat line 99.9% of the time with the odd dip occasionally which I don't notice anyway thanks to VRR. The GPU is usually in the 70%-80% and sub 200w region so my systems pretty cool and quiet while running it.

I will say that Screen Space Reflections are totally bugged though and need fixing asap. Honestly I've not even noticed any texture loading issues, but the SSR is very noticeable.

Gotta say this is one very pretty game. And great fun too from what I've played so far - which for testing purposes is up to the first rift sequence and no further - I'll wait a few patches more to play it properly.

I've settled on max everything apart from RT shadows off as I'm not convinced they're a net win right now and there's a fair bit a of performance to be saved there. Running at 3600x1600 DLSS Q with FG and capped through RTSS at 80fps. It's pretty much a flat line 99.9% of the time with the odd dip occasionally which I don't notice anyway thanks to VRR. The GPU is usually in the 70%-80% and sub 200w region so my systems pretty cool and quiet while running it.

I will say that Screen Space Reflections are totally bugged though and need fixing asap. Honestly I've not even noticed any texture loading issues, but the SSR is very noticeable.

I decided to just delete the DirectStorage dll's and up my framerate cap to 90. Still pretty solid aside from the occasional very heavy scene and oh so silky smooth! I haven't tried the rift sequence yet but general loading still seems very quick.

Also, 21:9 looks amazing in this game!

it has that CGI movies look (not from a technical point of view, just the feel, don't punch me VFX-Veteran)
and it's fun to play even if a bit repetitive in the end.
BTW i keep reading on the internets that the portals set piece only loads vertical slices of the levels, and while it's partially true i think with certain scenes,
it actually loads full levels in several instances, like you can see here, you can see the ship you use to travel to this destination, and even Mrs Zurkon who sells the wepons

Technical discussion aside. I'm about 4 hours in and find the game middling so far. It's not even better than the 2016 reboot which was not great compared to the rest of the series. I heard it's only 11 hours long for the main quest and 18 hours with the side content so it seems that things won't be getting much better.

Not a bad game by any means but certainly not an 88 Metacritic score. More like a 75 for me.

Technical discussion aside. I'm about 4 hours in and find the game middling so far. It's not even better than the 2016 reboot which was not great compared to the rest of the series.
I had a similar experience playing the game on PS5, very pretty and amazing technical accomplishment but it didn't grab me the way the 2016 reboot did.

What did you guys NOT like abiut the reboot and Rift Apart? They were pretty great games

Artistically, they have achieved their goals well. If you want that kind of animated film look they come close.

The technical improvement over the predecessor is clear but it absolutly needs ray tracing. Without ray tracing the shadows do look unnaturally hard. This damages the visual experience considerably. This game also looks better than Spiderman where the game world on the ground looks poor in detail.

However, the game itself seems to be annoying and overcolored. This is more a game for children or families. I wouldn't dare say in public that I love playing something like this. That would be rather embarrassing for me.

Last edited:
I find it strange that you feel ashamed playing this for being colorful. What is annoying about it?

Crash and Super Mario are also family looking, kid friendly, very colorful games too. Why would anyone be ashamed playing them

I agree on the boring part, I really didn't dig the PS4 episodes. I don't know, I don't care about the story, the characters, or the gameplay. I really like the art and the tech, audio was good too.

Similar for me. From a technical standpoint I'd like to take a longer look at it.

I hope you’re joking.
I find it strange that you feel ashamed playing this for being colorful. What is annoying about it?

Crash and Super Mario are also family looking, kid friendly, very colorful games too. Why would anyone be ashamed playing them
Playing Super Mario would be even worse.

Similar for me. From a technical standpoint I'd like to take a longer look at it.

Playing Super Mario would be even worse.
Why is it embarassing though? This seems to be coming from you, not from a fault of the game.

As long as you dont play some weird japanese dating simulator and dont order wifu pillows from amazon i dont see any reason to be ashamed ;)

The game sure is pretty but 3 hours in and I'm already getting bored of it.

I can't see me finishing it at this rate.
The game gets fun once you start unlocking more interesting weapons and you are attacked by hige amounts of enemies. The game's meat is in how you can mix and match creatively your fav weapons

The game gets fun once you start unlocking more interesting weapons and you are attacked by hige amounts of enemies. The game's meat is in how you can mix and match creatively your fav weapons

But if this is like the ps4 one, you don't really need most of the weapons, you find what is working for you and you can run the whole game like that (except some sequences which force you to use x or y).

Back