Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

i'm a gamer and have a weak laptop PC for internet and youtube etc... purposes
My wife is not a gamer and she has a gaming laptop, because she works in the web and makes heavy use of imaging tools that need some power to work faster.

I know occasions where they own a PC for the best performance and a console like Switch or a PS5 for their exclusive or other gaming needs just as I have friends who own both Switch and PS5. Guess why in almost all cases where they game on both console and PC they don't own an XBOX.
Yes, but that's the exact opposite situation he's describing. I used to do exactly that, exclusives on PS5, everything else on PC. Who is gonna purchase a PS5 for Fortnite and COD and wait for the exclusives to hit PC 2 years later?

In that case the person would game exclusively on PC, why would they bother having a console?

Ease of use, kids, exclusive features, maybe?

As Sony doesn't have steam x Playstation crossbuy, so "simply because one license works across different platforms" like windows store / xbox is not a reason for steam / Playstation.

Ease of use, kids, exclusive features, maybe?

As Sony doesn't have steam x Playstation crossbuy, so "simply because one license works across different platforms" like windows store / xbox is not a reason for steam / Playstation.
You did not read the post I replied to before you jumped in, did you? Everything you're replying doesn't answer why would a person that has a PS5 already and already games on it regularly will wait 2 years to play console exclusive games on PC.

You did not read the post I replied to before you jumped in, did you? Everything you're replying doesn't answer why would a person that has a PS5 already and already games on it regularly will wait 2 years to play console exclusive games on PC.

I did. As I clicked the arrows. But I misunderstood your post.

Edit :
I clicked them again and Im now confused where did I misunderstood it.

I was saying that people still can wait to buy for the pc version for the game in example: Spiderman 2 for PC.

While also still buying other games for ps5.

Depending on ease of use, exclusive features, etc.

As PS doesn't have cross buy with steam. So people cant simply buy Spiderman 2 now, and hoping to play the pc version for free.

Pardon for any confusion I'll probably cause even more. It's like 3 Am here now. So Its very possible I misunderstood things even more

Last edited:
Sony doesn't release PC titles for PS owners who want to wait 2 years for a more performant version. Their biggest motivations are to capture those who don't own a PS console and those willing to double dip.

But what Sony wants may differ from the actual outcome down the line. At the end, the incentive to buy a PS will contract, particularly if those PS titles start arriving much much sooner on PC.

I was in Japan close to both Sony's and Kojima Production's HQs so I went there on my lunch break to see if I could stalk Kojima or Shinkawa, but I guess they brought a lunch box those days...

Sorry i OT :)

This generation continues to slide downhill in my estimation. Had an Apex patch a few weeks ago. It didn't start, so I reset the machine but instead of installing the 500 MB patch, it downloaded the 75 GB entire game. Now just had similar. A 300 MB patch, it stopped at calculating for an age before finally saying "something went wrong" in a very informative error message. This patch, which is isolated from the game and requires a lengthy copying process to protect games from getting corrupted, failed and then switching off and on again, once again I have to download the entire 75 GB game again. Why? If a patch fails, nothing should go wrong as that's what the copying process protects against.

Wow at first glance. Could use some more info and context here. Very few children would be able to sign up in this case.

I believe it's just for adult accounts?

What is age verification (for UK & Ireland accounts)?
We are piloting an age verification process for players who register for new accounts in the UK and Ireland. If you are setting up an adult account, you will be asked to provide proof that you are over the minimum age for that type of account using an age verification service.

What happens if I select [Verify Age Later]?
If you select [Verify Age Later], you can still proceed to create your account. You might be asked to verify your age later.

Also I just want to point out that tweet is phrased in a way that puts the most controversial verification options first (face scan and then government ID) and the least controversial option (mobile phone number) last. I just can't help but think it was done deliberately to maximize controversy as an agenda.

By comparison the PS FAQ, likely with the opposite shaping agenda, list the verification options in the opposite order - Mobile Number, Face Scan, and then Government ID.

I checked the provider, Yoti. Seems they are a UK ID company used by a number of UK companies. ID's are controversial, but at the same time we've had them for decades. How do you prove you're old enough to get in to a night-club, or to buy liquor at the supermarket? Pull out your ID card. Yoti is one of a bunch of companies wanting to digitalise that.

There are pros and cons, which are an RPSC topic.

The gaming importance here I think is when did Sony start doing this and why has it not come to light until people started looking into PSN accounts for Helldivers?! I've never received any mention AFAIK (not that I particular pay attention to Sony emails).

So is it optional or not to verify via ID? If it's optional I don't get the outcry.
I also don't understand if it's the PSN alone the controversy. A ton of popular PC games require to sign in through another account such as Bethesda. Same counts for Capcom or EA games requiring to sign in into their accounts

So is it optional or not to verify via ID? If it's optional I don't get the outcry.
The outcry is the use of biometrics which sounds sinister. Why does Sony need a copy of my face? But the principle behind it is one that's been used for decades, that we have laws designed to protect minors that require a verification of age, which requires a means to secure the verification against fraud, which is where companies like Yoti come in who will use biometrics as an option for securing identity and validating age.

The outcry is the use of biometrics which sounds sinister. Why does Sony need a copy of my face? But the principle behind it is one that's been used for decades, that we have laws designed to protect minors that require a verification of age, which requires a means to secure the verification against fraud, which is where companies like Yoti come in who will use biometrics as an option for securing identity and validating age.
As far as I understand it, they are respecting UK laws. I just read about that so I'm not a good source.

Back