No Man's Sky [PS4, PS5, XO, XBSX|S, PC, NX, XGP]

That's a long list of change and it still free.
The redemption is long done , they are going for consecration now. /jk

They've never needed to charge for this post-release support cuz they sold huge amounts of copies at $60 at launch, while only being a small, self-published studio. They were swimming in more than enough money to sustain further development for a long time, but they've also maintained pretty strong sales over time as well, so they really are just set.

It's why it bothers me so much that a game like Diablo IV has Season Passes and cosmetics locked away behind microtransactions and whatnot. Zero need for it other than pure greed. They'd be more than set by game sales alone to support development for a long time, especially with how well Diablo games tend to keep selling over time.

Is it ? Took them a long time to finally make the game they promised at launch 7 years ago. Not sure if the redemption is done or not. hopefully their next game avoids all this from the jump

I think this game can easily be seen as a redemption arc. It's been in a good state for a long time now after a terrible launch. I'd prefer games not release the way no man's sky did, but they've done a better job that almost any other company to make things right.

Is it ? Took them a long time to finally make the game they promised at launch 7 years ago. Not sure if the redemption is done or not. hopefully their next game avoids all this from the jump
The game has well exceeded what was 'promised' years ago by now.

Even something like multiplayer was never actually really promised like people think. They insisted the game was a single player experience, only that you'd potentially be able to 'see' other players if you met up, though claimed this would basically be impossible to actually do(both of these claims weren't true). They said nothing about actually interacting with them or being able to play together or anything.

It's been a in good state for years, but some stuff shown like the animal behaviour just isn't there and never will be. Hello Games should be forgiven by now - they are worse offenders out there who aren't nearly as player-friendly in their updates and come from big publishers who know what they're doing when they get on the show floor, unlike Sean Murray.

That said, I picked up the game yesterday to try the improved visuals on PS5 after a few years without play, to play this latest expedition. After an hour I'm bored. It's just exactly the same experience, only on planets already visited by others. An hour finding copper to refine to make a hyperdrive, it's just so tedious! I don't feel all the upgrades have really added anything of worth to existing players. It's great for new players who get a richer experience, but the scan > harvest > craft > upgrade cycle has been well and truly completed for me. If I return to it, it'll be for mindless downtime when my brain is fried, which is what it's very good for.

There might be a more engaging story but the mechanics that make up 99% of the experience are still the same. Plus you are starting again from the beginning, so after many hours talking to Aliens to learn their language one word at a time, I have to do that all over again if I want to understand them.

I might be being unfair. the new story might be playable inside my main game and not require a new Expedition. There's so much content it's kinda confusing how it fits together!

I recon the record will be held by Star Citizen
March 2030 "CIG just announced it's releasing a new beta and also a new $50,000 ship package"
2030 will likely be the release date lol and then people will play it so the thread could go on for decades !

tried it on PSVR2 last evening, i thought in the new bases, it was a little more aliased, and some performance issues. But overall it's a nice update.

And how do they still make money with it, everything is releasing for free.
I dont think people appreciate just how much money they made when the game first launched.

It was super hyped, Sony paid for all their marketing, and they were selling it at a full $60 AAA price point. Over a million sales at $60 very quickly from a completely independent, self-publishing team of like 12 people.

They were set for a long time just from this alone. But the game has sold consistently well since, getting nice boosts after major updates. So the cash keeps coming in on top of the large treasury they already made for themselves at launch. I think people forget with games like Diablo 4 and whatnot that you can absolutely justify continued FREE support after launch if a game sells well enough over time. The additional season passes and microtransactions and whatnot are there because they are greedy and know people will pay it anyways, not because it's critical to the support of the game. (Not that I think Diablo 4 needs any 'live service' support in the first place).

Back