Netflix chooses Microsoft as Partner for new consumer subscription plan.

eastmen

Legend
Supporter

We’re thrilled to be named Netflix’s technology and sales partner to help power their first ad-supported subscription offering.
At launch, consumers will have more options to access Netflix’s award-winning content. Marketers looking to Microsoft for their advertising needs will have access to the Netflix audience and premium connected TV inventory. All ads served on Netflix will be exclusively available through the Microsoft platform. Today’s announcement also endorses Microsoft’s approach to privacy, which is built on protecting customers’ information.
This is a big day for Netflix and Microsoft. We’re excited to offer new premium value to our ecosystem of marketers and partners while helping Netflix deliver more choice to their customers.
Here is what Netflix COO Greg Peters said today:
“In April we announced that we will introduce a new lower priced ad-supported subscription plan for consumers, in addition to our existing ads-free basic, standard, and premium plans. Today we are pleased to announce that we have selected Microsoft as our global advertising technology and sales partner.
“Microsoft has the proven ability to support all our advertising needs as we together build a new ad-supported offering. More importantly, Microsoft offered the flexibility to innovate over time on both the technology and sales side, as well as strong privacy protections for our members.
“It’s very early days and we have much to work through. But our long-term goal is clear: More choice for consumers and a premium, better-than-linear TV brand experience for advertisers. We’re excited to work with Microsoft as we bring this new service to life.”
Tags: advertising, netflix

Not sure if this is the right place.

Big news for Microsoft's advertising arm. I wonder if this will result in a tier of netflix being added to game pass ? Or vice versa ?

I never knew Microsoft had a advertising/marketing arms but it explains the agggresive user data-collection policies.

Ad-supporting subscriptions are better than not having access to content and as YouTube has shown, people will put up with insane levels of adverting like unskippable 30 min ads for some channels.

Hopefully not a place where you pay for a subscription only to then get innundated with more advertising. Is there a "shit tier" of Netflix coming which is solely ad-funded? Maybe with a reduced content set?

Hopefully not a place where you pay for a subscription only to then get innundated with more advertising. Is there a "shit tier" of Netflix coming which is solely ad-funded? Maybe with a reduced content set?
I think it more likely there is a more expensive ad-free version of Netflix coming which resembles current Netflix. Everybody else will get ads to varying degrees.

We still keep the cheapest Netflix sub for the kids to watch some age-appropriate programming. If Netflix continues down this path, it might just be time to cut them loose.

Yes there is an ad based netflix coming , there were leaks of it awhile ago.

My guess is it will be like Peacock.1657742021197.png

Or hulu

I never knew Microsoft had a advertising/marketing arms but it explains the agggresive user data-collection policies.

Ad-supporting subscriptions are better than not having access to content and as YouTube has shown, people will put up with insane levels of adverting like unskippable 30 min ads for some channels.

How do you think they profit from bing ?

ah, so we're back to regular programming television, except this time we don't pay the telcos for cable service, we pay them for internet service. lol

Yes there is an ad based netflix coming , there were leaks of it awhile ago.

My guess is it will be like Peacock.View attachment 6687

Or hulu

It's interesting to think that back in the 90's it cost around 10 USD to add "only" HBO to your cable service and if you wanted broader access to move movies you had to subscribe to additional services like Cinemax with a similar charge. In the 2000's it rose up to 15+ with it approaching 20 USD to add just HBO to your cable service by the end of the decade.

With how much so many things have increased in price since the 90's, it's kind of interesting that media is one of the few areas where prices have decreased so drastically.

Regards,
SB

How do you think they profit from bing ?

I hadn't really thought about it, but I assumed they had a direct relationship with advertisers rather than their own team - a bit like Apple when they tried to run their own ad-platform on iOS then canned it.

But I guess this makes sense and - again - explains many of Microsoft's 'design' decisions with latter versions of Windows 10 and Windows 11 in collecting more and more user data, that you cannot opt out of, plus driving certain data thru Edge to Bing, which you also have no control over. The endless cycle to engage all privacy options only for the next Windows update to re-enable most of then. Then there is the eternal cat-and-mouse situation with some user's desire to remove Edge or switch from Bing to something else but whenever a solution is found, Microsoft react and modify Windows 11 to prevent it.

Microsoft becoming more like Google, and being focussed on capturing user data at all costs, is not a direction I am keen on.

Microsoft becoming more like Google, and being focussed on capturing user data at all costs, is not a direction I am keen on.

It's of an unfortunate but expected consequence for Google being held up as the gold standard for how things should be done by the masses. And while they've lost a bit of that tarnish, most people still hold up Google as the gold standard of how things should be done.

Combine that with MS losing market share so drastically to Google as well as Apple just means that it was inevitable that they would decide that how those companies operate was something they should try to incorporate.

I don't really like it. IMO, Ballmer era Windows was more robust and more stable than Nadella era Windows with much better privacy protection that anything available by Google, Apple or current MS. Granted I do have to give Apple some credit for giving users more privacy options ... after Apple has profited off them via exploiting the usage of user data in the past.

Meh, they're all bad in different ways to varying degrees. So, if I have to choose one of the platforms knowing they're going to mine my data regardless of which platform I use, I might as well continue to use the one I'm familiar with that has the greatest workflow efficiency for me. I just REALLY wish MS would stop trying to copy what Apple and Google are doing.

Regards,
SB

It's of an unfortunate but expected consequence for Google being held up as the gold standard for how things should be done by the masses. And while they've lost a bit of that tarnish, most people still hold up Google as the gold standard of how things should be done.

I don't think it's to do with any kind of standard, but it is about where Google get most of their profits and that is advertising, particularly targeted advertising and good targeted advertising is reliant on knowing as much about users as possible. Google do this well by offering 'free' services that are exceptionally good and people happily use their services and provide Google with all sorts of data. Search is obviously a big one, but search combined with YouTube, gmail/calendar and 'free storage' of data, along with other tracking puts Google in a really good position.

But it feels like Microsoft are going a different route, they still charge you for Windows and other software and harvest data about how you use them and there is no way to fully opt-out unless you're being an enterprise sever.

I wish Microsoft would quit chasing ad revenue in this way because it feels like user privacy is going out the window.

I don't think it's to do with any kind of standard, but it is about where Google get most of their profits and that is advertising, particularly targeted advertising and good targeted advertising is reliant on knowing as much about users as possible
And yet YouTube has absolutely the worst recommendation system ever.

"We noticed you watched these TV review videos, try watching this video in a foreign language about cup stacking challenges."

But it feels like Microsoft are going a different route, they still charge you for Windows and other software and harvest data about how you use them and there is no way to fully opt-out unless you're being an enterprise sever.

Well, they only charge a relatively small fee for a new install of Windows (basically what the Windows upgrade used to cost ~100-150 USD) while Windows Upgrades are now free. I remember when new installs for Windows was 350-500 USD MSRP for the OS. Granted for the past couple decades people that knew what they were doing could buy the OEM (system builder) version a bit cheaper than the 350-500 USD retail price.

Regards,
SB

But I guess this makes sense and - again - explains many of Microsoft's 'design' decisions with latter versions of Windows 10 and Windows 11 in collecting more and more user data, that you cannot opt out of, plus driving certain data thru Edge to Bing, which you also have no control over.
I hear and agree with your statement. Microsoft's Opt out/in needs to be more comprehensive and easier to enable an all "privacy" opt out stance.

OT: Fortunately there is a free tool I use to reduce/eliminate some ads and data being collected. O&O ShutUp10++ allows disabling many privacy features including Advertising ID in for machine or user, advertisments via Bluetooth, biometric features, Customer Experience Improvement Program, submission of user activities, etc ... mostly many of the features Microsoft doesn't allow you to disable.

And yet YouTube has absolutely the worst recommendation system ever.

"We noticed you watched these TV review videos, try watching this video in a foreign language about cup stacking challenges."

This is done on purpose. YouTube (Google) sometimes throws seemingly random recommendations at you to see if you bite, i.e. show any interest in subject X. Then they know, without the user every having engaged. Knowing what doesn't interest the user as almost as valuable as what does because it discounts what otherwise could be poor ad serves.
Well, they only charge a relatively small fee for a new install of Windows (basically what the Windows upgrade used to cost ~100-150 USD) while Windows Upgrades are now free.

Sure, but you still have to buy Windows. You generally don't have to expect to give up private when using an OS you paid for. And the "relatively small fee" is a whole bunch of games.

This is done on purpose. YouTube (Google) sometimes throws seemingly random recommendations at you to see if you bite, i.e. show any interest in subject X. Then they know, without the user every having engaged. Knowing what doesn't interest the user as almost as valuable as what does because it discounts what otherwise could be poor ad serves.

They do it all the time for me. None of their recommendations are ever on point. It seems completely broken. As if ...

random_number.png

1657814939738.png

Back