Movie Reviews 2.0

Is that accurate? Isn't it May 1st?

Makes more sense. If it was out in Japan it'd be available underground by now.

Is that accurate? Isn't it May 1st?

Sorry, amazon fooled me. Good catch!

If the numbers are right I see one of the biggest box office failures in recent years:

This belongs to the most expensive films of all time. With the budget the film has to make 800 to 900 million USD and hardly any film does that. Ford vs. Ferrari made 225 million USD worldwide and the film was highly praised and often talked about. A Formula 1 film can only be successful with a small budget.

Plenty of films have flopped in recent months.

Last edited:
That Formula One film might need to have aliens enter the race, or like in Iron Man 2 have Ivan Vanko make an appearance and start slashing cars apart, in order to make profit. Or both! I'd buy that for a dollar!

1000028720.jpg

Lots of posts like this recently and actually a few weeks ago, I was thinking exactly the same when going to see Fall Guy. First I noticed the number of screenings per day is like a third of what it used to be, and there was hardly anyone - like 2-4 people per row.

We actually had a bunch of tickets from Christmas expiring, gotta admit probably would not have gone to see it otherwise. The movie itself was OK though.

But things have changed.

I also just went to see The Fall Guy with my mate today. There are few people but it's probably just because the film is already a month old. Newer movies such as Furiosa seems to be doing relatively well.
But yes I think we'll see less movie theaters in the future and probably more "high end" such as IMAX theaters.

Apart from Dune 2, Godzilla x Kong and Kung Fu Panda 4 almost all the major films this year were flops. Even for Kindom of the Planet of The Apes it is not looking good. It probably won't make a profit. But the film isn't good either. It's far too long and too slow and has far too little to say for its length. I have nothing against long and slow films but, like Dune, they have to have a lot to say. Fall Guy and Mad Max Furiosa will be massive flops.

Some rather unknown films don't have that bad attendance figures but were too expensive and are unprofitable.

Hollywood has to cut costs. However, this also means that a lot is being outsourced abroad. DreamWorks does a lot of animation work in Canada, India etc. while Pixar still does most in the USA. That costs a lot more. Because of such outsourcing measures the budget of Kung Fu Panda could be reduced from 145 million USD in part 3 to 85 million in part 4. These films are bad still.

With Deadpool & Wolverine, Joker 2 and Inside Out 2 there are films coming out that will make a lot of money.

Last edited:
I also just went to see The Fall Guy with my mate today. There are few people but it's probably just because the film is already a month old. Newer movies such as Furiosa seems to be doing relatively well.
I saw it on its second week, empty already by then.
Furiosa gets some viewers, but reportedly much less than expected.

Yeah, BTW: I have NEVER seen a trailer as long as Furiosa's at the Fall Guy screening. It had f'n 3 CHAPTERS (titles announced for each chapter) and was like 10 minutes long. Honestly it felt like I've seen the movie now already - not going to go watch it. (Probably wouldn't have anyway).

Dune 2 I did watch in April. By myself, couldn't get anyone with me

Atlas. My review: "meh" to "entertaining".

The fact that Catalan language was shown in the language options of the mech suit (with an independentist flag, lol) was a big plus for me, though. :mrgreen:

Back