Formula 1 - 2021 Season

And what point would that be? That after winning how many titles in a row without any real opposition he's now quitting because he lost once? I'm sure that wouldn't come across like being a sore loser to most...

Obviously what happened was rather shitty. I doubt anyone would deny that. But the championship isn't won or lost on the last lap. Over the course of the season its hard to say Verstappen didn't deserve to win. RB had their fair share of bad luck and Hamilton/Merc definitely got away lucky a couple of times. That is the only reason Hamilton still had a chance in the last race to begin with.
What point? That there's consequences when you break your own rules to decide who can be a champion. In this case the consequences would be losing the most valuable (in terms of marketing etc) driver on the grid.

And what point would that be? That after winning how many titles in a row without any real opposition he's now quitting because he lost once? I'm sure that wouldn't come across like being a sore loser to most...

Obviously what happened was rather shitty. I doubt anyone would deny that. But the championship isn't won or lost on the last lap. Over the course of the season its hard to say Verstappen didn't deserve to win. RB had their fair share of bad luck and Hamilton/Merc definitely got away lucky a couple of times. That is the only reason Hamilton still had a chance in the last race to begin with.
Walt, it was won and lost on the final lap. So it's wrong to say it wasn't.
I've not seen anyone say either driver wouldn't be a worthy winner. That's not the point.
Sure both drivers have good and bad luck, decisions for and against them. Also not the point.

This was such a glaring mistake that was made dispite the rules and conventions, can't even say it was a judgement call.
To do that on the last lap, pretty much knowing the outcome, when it's not like there's another race to turn it around, makes it a very different set of circumstances.

Bad luck there was a crash, but that's not the issue, basically changing the rules is

if hamilton quits now he quits on a low not a high, despite all his accomplishments
only reason i can see him quitting is if he thinks the merc 2022 car wont be up to snuff

i think its central in hamiltons psyche that he come back and beat everyone in 2022 so he can show everyone hes the best and then maybe quit if he is going to

I personally don't see him quitting yet.
Just extremely frustrated with the manner of the lose, not the lose itself.

But he was probably already considering quiting on and off last couple years, but I think he'll probably like the challenge of the new regs.

if hamilton quits now he quits on a low not a high, despite all his accomplishments
only reason i can see him quitting is if he thinks the merc 2022 car wont be up to snuff

i think its central in hamiltons psyche that he come back and beat everyone in 2022 so he can show everyone hes the best and then maybe quit if he is going to
Everyone following F1 would see it quitting when F1 betrayed and robbed him, not on low.

What point? That there's consequences when you break your own rules to decide who can be a champion. In this case the consequences would be losing the most valuable (in terms of marketing etc) driver on the grid.

Right. Your great idea is for Hamilton to trow away his main source of income so FOM might lose income over a decision made by the FIA, who are a non profit organization and don't stand to gain or lose anything financially by a driver/team winning/losing.

The only real consequences will be for Hamilton. The sport will move on and if Russell and Merc happen to start well next year I doubt anyone but the most hardcore Hamilton fans will care whether he's on the grid or not after three races.

Reactions: snc
well considering hamilton is worth 308 million euros, I sure he can survive without a source of income at least for a few years.
Though I do agree F1 doesnt need hamilton (or anyone),

Right. Your great idea is for Hamilton to trow away his main source of income so FOM might lose income over a decision made by the FIA, who are a non profit organization and don't stand to gain or lose anything financially by a driver/team winning/losing.

The only real consequences will be for Hamilton. The sport will move on and if Russell and Merc happen to start well next year I doubt anyone but the most hardcore Hamilton fans will care whether he's on the grid or not after three races.

Like Hamilton would need to really care about his income anymore, ever, even if we ignore all the other businesses he's already involved in?
The public backslash from the event is already costing FOM and they for sure wouldn't take kindly to their highest profile marketing asset leaving due FIA breaking their own rules.

Like Hamilton would need to really care about his income anymore, ever, even if we ignore all the other businesses he's already involved in?
The public backslash from the event is already costing FOM and they for sure wouldn't take kindly to their highest profile marketing asset leaving due FIA breaking their own rules.
Drivers come and go, he's going to quit sometime in the next few years. They will have to move on without him at that point. Leaving as s sore loser would damage his legacy more than F1.

Not sure how he can be considered a sore loser, Lewis made the end of the season what it was.

From Brazil onwards Lewis had Max well beat, even with them throwing him out of qauli because his wing was 0.2mm out, it was Thanos level "I am inevitable" from Lewis, push me off be dirty all you want I'm coming through. Abu Dhabi was no different, Lewis basically crushed Max in the last race, until that famous gift from Masi.

Let's hope he doesn't walk, I'm not sure I could stand all those new plastic fans cheering week in week out.

Not sure how he can be considered a sore loser, Lewis made the end of the season what it was.

Skipping mandatory post race/season events and then quitting would certainly make it seem like he was quitting because he lost. That's is the definition of a sore loser.

Lewis just needs to win next year. It puts a stamp on things that he should have won the year prior.

He cannot quit.

Can we stop calling Lewis a sore loser because the FIA invented a new rule on the last lap of the season, invoking Race Director powers that I don’t remember seeing in the ten or so years I’ve been watching? Max walked off the podium in Jeddah when he was the one repeatedly driving like an asshole.

Lewis congratulated Max immediately after the finale. Let’s stop calling him a sore loser to his competitor. He’s sore at the FIA and F1.

Can we stop calling Lewis a sore loser because the FIA invented a new rule on the last lap of the season, invoking Race Director powers that I don’t remember seeing in the ten or so years I’ve been watching? Max walked off the podium in Jeddah when he was the one repeatedly driving like an asshole.

Lewis congratulated Max immediately after the finale. Let’s stop calling him a sore loser to his competitor. He’s sore at the FIA and F1.
I can vouch for 'not since season 92' when I started following the sport

My apologies, I didn't know we had his official spokesperson in this thread. It would have been easier if he had actually chosen to speak for himself as is required by his contract.

I am done here, feel free to work up an ocean of tears maybe I will drop by for a swim after next season, but the lot of you are taking this way too seriously

My apologies, I didn't know we had his official spokesperson in this thread. It would have been easier if he had actually chosen to speak for himself as is required by his contract.

I am done here, feel free to work up an ocean of tears maybe I will drop by for a swim after next season, but the lot of you are taking this way too seriously

What we have is his team principle saying he's not sure if he'll continue and some F1-fans who think he shouldn't and some who think he's sore loser if he doesn't

Back