DX12, DX12U, DXR, API bias, and API evolution ..

In the future i think we will need an api for cpu + gpu (apu)'s, bc they enjoy a lot of benefits like no need to do deep copies and low cpu to gpu communication, the things a discreate gpu could never take advantage of.
Don't the console APIs and Apple's Metal already make use of an APU/SoC's advantages? And on the PC side, I doubt developers would be interesting in using a new API just to squeeze more performance out of APUs.

In the future i think we will need an api for cpu + gpu (apu)'s, bc they enjoy a lot of benefits like no need to do deep copies and low cpu to gpu communication, the things a discreate gpu could never take advantage of.

Why would this need a new API? There are already functions in DX12 that allow discrete GPU based systems to behave a little like APU's (the ability to read and write to both memory pools for example). Having a separate API just for APUs would be totally unusable.

Why would this need a new API? There are already functions in DX12 that allow discrete GPU based systems to behave a little like APU's (the ability to read and write to both memory pools for example). Having a separate API just for APUs would be totally unusable.
sorry I am but a humble compiler dev, i don't know the ins and outs of gpu api's except for some opengl stuff that I learned back in collage as a elective 10 years ago.

Back