Discussion about lighting (usage of lighting techniques).

And I know that I'm not alone in seeing this. As we get numerous people commenting how X game with RT doesn't look as good as older game without RT and then mistakenly, IMO, attributing this to a bad RT implementation.

I think that's almost always because the older game is using baked lighting which of course looks great aside from the obvious limitations of a static presentation. The end result matters and for lots of people a high fidelity offline bake (with artistic flair) is visually more appealing than the dynamism of real-time lighting.

I think that's almost always because the older game is using baked lighting which of course looks great aside from the obvious limitations of a static presentation. The end result matters and for lots of people a high fidelity offline bake (with artistic flair) is visually more appealing than the dynamism of real-time lighting.

Old multibounce GI looks nicer than new limited bounce RT, when you ignore the dynamic objects in the space not matching up precisely to the lighting around them, and lightleaks, and etc. It's possible with aggressive caching to get more than 2 bounces out of RT, so it'll better all around soon enough. Frankly I already love how Star Wars Outlaws looks, the all per pixel traced indirect lighting gives it a really unified look.

Back