Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2024]

Insomniac has a few RT showcases, but most games have the same RT on both consoles. Stop with the bullshit narrative. Some of you are embarrassing yourselves.

PS is lead platform and the X extra power doesn't get used enough. Maybe Hellblade 2 will turn some heads.
Diablo IV has added RT today, we shall see what are the differences since it is a multiplatform game.

edit: for Raytracing support the recommended hardware for Intel is the A770 and for AMD is the 6800XT -minimum!-
o_O but for nVidia a 2060 with DLSS is enough, wth? The game supports XeSS from day 1 so I don't understand the recommended hardware settings.

Last edited:
MS are now so big, and have through their own actions damaged Xbox so much, that their software base is now driving them to Sony rather than driving customers to Xbox. In turn that further hurts Xbox, which in turn hurts the prospects of Gamepass ... which was the whole point of becoming so big. Bloody hell MS.

The extra "power" of Series X over PS5 overall is really pretty small - especially when you compare it the Series S, which all games have to be able to scale down to well anyway. At least this means that PS5 ports should be really strong and very close to the Series X. Hell some cross gen games might actually run a bit better.

People should stop panicking. It's ridiculous.

FFXIV going to Xbox this month is bigger than all 4 of the MS games going to PS5 combined. The silos are slowly coming down.

People should stop panicking. It's ridiculous.

FFXIV going to Xbox this month is bigger than all 4 of the MS games going to PS5 combined. The silos are slowly coming down.
Er....why is it so special? SquareEnix is a third party and FF games hove been coming to XBOX since 360. SE pursued an XBOX release for years and even had a version developed on One. The only reason this wasn't released up until now on XBOX was due to technicalities with how XBOX's online service worked and MS not resolving them.

I'm still right though. 😀

So that every thread doesn't turn into a Phil roast I think we should talk about DF. I wonder if they'll do a vid about Diablo IV getting RT.

What do you think makes you right and about what?
Mod: He's agreeing to disagree to move the subject off the tangent and back on topic. I think it's better to leave it there and get back to talking about Digital Foundry's technical stuff rather than another Xbox execution discussion.

I don't know what guerrilla does, but they're narrative, animation, world doesn't grab me in any way. It's so dull, so lifeless. Even the art and the designs aren't doing anything for me, i could look at Elden ring world for weeks on end, while getting tired of horizon after a couple of days, even with much better technology for the latter.

The gameplay is ok, don't get me wrong, but everything else...

edit: for Raytracing support the recommended hardware for Intel is the A770 and for AMD is the 6800XT -minimum!-
o_O but for nVidia a 2060 with DLSS is enough, wth? The game supports XeSS from day 1 so I don't understand the recommended hardware settings.
Testing Diablo IV revealed nothing out of the ordinary, same usual difference between Ada and RDNA3 in titles with moderate RT (30%-60% difference). Ampere vs RDNA2 is about 20%.

The texture work in Forbidden West is amazing but I find the visuals lacking in key areas.

Am I crazy or the lighting isn’t good at all, especially in settlements and interior sections? There seems to be a complete absence of bounce light and the AO is middling. Crevices and corners often aren’t properly shaded.

The SSR over bodies of water is also not good at all.

I think RTAO and GI could have done wonders for this game.

The texture work in Forbidden West is amazing but I find the visuals lacking in key areas.

Am I crazy or the lighting isn’t good at all, especially in settlements and interior sections? There seems to be a complete absence of bounce light and the AO is middling. Crevices and corners often aren’t properly shaded.

The SSR over bodies of water is also not good at all.

I think RTAO and GI could have done wonders for this game.
I wouldn't say it isn't good at all... because when it looks good it looks amazing.. but it's not uniform/consistent. One spot can look amazing, and then the next can look flat and dated.

Gorgeous artistically, but the game has certainly been outclassed by newer rendering techniques.

Testing Diablo IV revealed nothing out of the ordinary, same usual difference between Ada and RDNA3 in titles with moderate RT (30%-60% difference). Ampere vs RDNA2 is about 20%.

I’ve seen it mentioned multiple times that gamegpu fabricates/interpolates a lot of their data. If true we really shouldn’t be using them as a source for anything.

I can believe it too given the number of CPU and GPU combinations they claim to be benchmarking.

I’ve seen it mentioned multiple times that gamegpu fabricates/interpolates a lot of their data. If true we really shouldn’t be using them as a source for anything.

I can believe it too given the number of CPU and GPU combinations they claim to be benchmarking.
100%. You can't expect me to believe that they are testing all those setups independently each and every new release.. nah..

I wouldn't say it isn't good at all... because when it looks good it looks amazing.. but it's not uniform/consistent. One spot can look amazing, and then the next can look flat and dated.

Gorgeous artistically, but the game has certainly been outclassed by newer rendering techniques.
Yeah, inconsistent is more accurate. I’m in Barren Light right now and am scratching my head at the lighting quality. I guess the name is fitting.

Back