Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2024] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

More next gen focused games are releasing with 30fps only cap. Hellblade 2 is 30fps only.

Expected. If you keep pushing the graphics stack you need more frame time to make things look good. I am very curious to see the difference between ultra and Xbox.

I must say, the game looks very good, but I'm not quite as wow'd by it as many others. Most scenes still have super limited draw distances, and there's this overbearing amount of post processing and sort of monochrome-esque color scheming that really drowns out the fidelity for me.

Also, the combat animations still seem to have a very stilted mocap feel, with actors that are clearly holding back in their movements. Maybe this is important to get better mocap data, but it's noticeable.

For as long as this game has been in development, and with the greater resources, an apparently still somewhat short runtime and now a 30fps cap, I do kind of expect more.

I have no issues with them targeting 30 FPS at all.

But they should be honest, that just a BS excuse. Be honest that you're using the freed frame time budget to improve the visuals and physics simulations. There is no shame in that.
It's just what it is. The zen2/rdna2 consoles just aren't enough esp when using ray tracing. both companies have new systems coming if you want the highest fidelity in a console and of course you can just go buy a pc if you want the absolute best.

the first one proposed a VR mode on PC, wonder if they'll do the same for the sequel. But what beast will be needed to do that.

If it's running at 30 fps on series s, it can at least run at 60 on series x by using series s settings. It's a linear game where you fight one on one and you traverse environments very slowly, so I don't think it's hitting the CPU all that much.
Developers should save themselves the controversy and offer options for those who want it.

if that was that simple they would have put a 60fps option. Maybe it's already a miracle it runs at 30fps on XsS at all, and at what sacrifices ? will know soon.

Do any of the previews give resolution details? Perhaps Series X is already so low that a 60 fps option would just result in negative press.

I'm sure that it would look blurry, but the series s version exists, and it's going to be how it's played by more than half of the Xbox owners. It has to look acceptable, so giving the option to series x owners to play like that at higher frame rates makes sense to me.

If it's running at 30 fps on series s, it can at least run at 60 on series x by using series s settings. It's a linear game where you fight one on one and you traverse environments very slowly, so I don't think it's hitting the CPU all that much.
Developers should save themselves the controversy and offer options for those who want it.

Nah. If that were the case, they would have done it. The game is likely not reaching 60 FPS in CPU limit at all. Also remember graphical effects such as Raytracing and high LOD can affect the CPU usage as well. Plus, they're probably doing a ton of simulations and physics.

Nah. If that were the case, they would have done it. The game is likely not reaching 60 FPS in CPU limit at all. Also remember graphical effects such as Raytracing and high LOD can affect the CPU usage as well. Plus, they're probably doing a ton of simulations and physics.
If it's CPU limited I will be surprised, I wonder how it's going to run on similar CPU's on PC.

It's UE5 and we know that getting that to 60fps using Lumen and Nanite on consoles is not easy. Fortnite can do it, sure, but that's Fortnite(and also an in-house Epic dev). This is very much on a different level.

If Hellblade 2 is really heavy on the Unreal render thread it could be that the game can't reliably sustain 60 on relatively weak console CPUs (this is a different thing to DX12 API overheads, which should be relatively small anyway on console).

Or it could be that the developer really does have a very specific set of camera parameters that help shape the aesthetics of the game. We're in a place now where Unreal can actually be used to do movie CGI, and there's a lot more to that than just fps. On console you can force people to take your vision or leave it. On PC, not really, so you need to accommodate the stuff people will force on the game anyway through mods and drivers.

Hellblade 2 is looking like an super stylised interactive cutscene, far more so than a typical game, and so it could be either reason. I'd probably guess it's technical in nature though, and more that they're saying it won't really hurt the game give its nature.

If Hellblade 2 is really heavy on the Unreal render thread it could be that the game can't reliably sustain 60 on relatively weak console CPUs (this is a different thing to DX12 API overheads, which should be relatively small anyway on console).

Or it could be that the developer really does have a very specific set of camera parameters that help shape the aesthetics of the game. We're in a place now where Unreal can actually be used to do movie CGI, and there's a lot more to that than just fps. On console you can force people to take your vision or leave it. On PC, not really, so you need to accommodate the stuff people will force on the game anyway through mods and drivers.

Hellblade 2 is looking like an super stylised interactive cutscene, far more so than a typical game, and so it could be either reason. I'd probably guess it's technical in nature though, and more that they're saying it won't really hurt the game give its nature.
It's a shame hellblade isn't releasing with the large improvements epic showcased in 5.4, especially the new multithreading advancements

Is it alright to post this here?

This is a video of Spider-Man 2 on PC running pretty okayish. This contrasts remarkably to the old build which was barely playable.

Last edited:
Back