Could this anonymous informant be 100% correct? (Revolution)

Li Mu Bai

Regular
Credit to Mason over at the GAF for reposting this. This anonymous informant was extremely accurate as you can see. Which begs the question, just exactly how accurate was he?

This was posted at the NintendoPower forums in mid January:

There has been a TON of speculation on Nintendo's upcoming console but little is actually known about it. There are so many different ideas that no one really knows what to think. So here are some supposed "facts" about the Revolution. I can't reveal my source because I've been asked not to. Sorry guys. I would say that this info has at least a 65% chance of being accurate. My source has been right before and he's also been wrong. Here goes......

Ok first things first. Yes, Nintendo will utilize gyros in it's controllers. I think most people pretty much already took this as fact. Also, the Rev will indeed have dual processors. Also broadband is built in, no modem to buy. Nintendo has an online strategy in development. It will be implemented on the DS first. There are no current plans to connect the DS and the Rev....the GB Evolution on the other hand......

The Rev will have four controller ports. It will have a hard drive which will be used in much the same way as the 64DD was supposed to be used. Things like Dolby Digital 5.1 and high def monitor support are included. There is no type of virtual reality or any kind of headset planned. It is backwards compatible with Gamecube games. It will use the HD-DVD format and not Sony's Blu-Ray. Controllers are not wireless, but wireless controllers are planned. It will launch with an unnamed Mario game and work on Zelda has already begun. Super Smash Brothers is in mid development and will be a launch title.

Ok so what's the Revolutionary part? That's what you all want to know. Well my source wouldn't tell me. He said it would get him into too much trouble, and could give Sony and Microsoft an advantage at this stage in the game. But he did say this; "if you think too hard you'll never guess what it is. It's nothing "new" technically speaking. It's just something that hasn't really been applied to video games yet."

Mason bold-faced the information that was confirmed by Iwata at the GDC, & I bolded one line regarding the future Revolution software based upon comments made by Miyamoto/Iwata. (& one private source to boot) I also italicized those statements which I found to be quite interesting, although not yet officially confirmed. Regarding the software side, Nintendo execs. vowed never to launch a system without a Mario platformer ever again, & Mario will appear as a Revolution release title as it is currently under development now. It obviously may, or may not be Mario 128 but I do not think it is. The same goes for SSB:M2, with the exception that it will feature online play & even more Nintendo branded mascots than its predecessors. (an obvious progression for the series, with the possible inclusion of a close 3rd party's popular mascots, whether it be Sega or Namco is unknown at this point) The Revolution LOZ will follow its latest GC predecessor as a more mature themed, or older version of Link. Retro appears to have been coaxed into developing the next-gen Metroid & this is underway as well. (shock!) :oops: Much of this didn't require much digging obviously, as there had been speculation floating around for some time. Still good to have some secondary reliable sources.

Gyroscopic control has long been rumored as Nintendo's new controller input, especially after the investment in Gyration Inc. In contrast however, Iwata stated at the GDC that the interface in fact had not yet been finalized, & that various concepts were still being considered for the Revolution's implementation. This may have been untrue however, & Nintendo & Iwata simply may not have wanted the competetion to know their input solution. People must know that the investment in Gyration Inc. is 4 years old now. It was made on September 24th of 2001. Although the initial conceptualization of the GC's successor began around that same time-frame, so the age of the investment may well be inconsequential. I've been hearing/reading a lot of misconceptions of what gyroscopic control would entail, like flailing arms wildly etc. to control a game. Untrue. Here is one of the best interviews/insights by the now defunct GameCubicle with Gyration's Marc Harris:

Last week, Nintendo announced an investment in Gyration, a pioneer in interactive controllers and related markets. The next step in console and handheld gaming peripherals from Nintendo may begin with the intellectual properties and technical capacities of Gyration. The company has developed a low cost dual axis gyroscope "optimized for easy integration into input devices." Further more, Gyration has "exclusive rights to application of inertial sensors in a product which senses angular human motion in order to control a graphic or cursor on a display."

What does it all mean? GameCubicle evaluated the company's products, plans, partners, and patents in an effort to find out. Of their relevant products, Gyration's GyroMouse product features intriguing technologies that would open many doors in the wireless controller arena. We suspect that the same technology could help create the ultimate controller for adventure, platform, and first-person shooter genres. Gyration's RF assets also seem ideal for Nintendo's wireless WaveBird controller thanks to the high performance and low power consumption features. One less likely possibility is that Gyration's technologies could be incorporated into a future wireless gaming gun that would utilize motion detection systems for a new level of interactive play.

According to the company, "Gyration intends to be the first company to produce game controllers enhanced with gyroscopic motion-sensors, which have a tenfold performance increase over accelerometer tilt sensors and add the ability to sense yaw as well as pitch. A gyro-equipped, motion-sensing controller provides a natural method of game control that draws the player into the game and makes game play more enjoyable. The motion sensor can take the place of a typical thumb pressure pad allowing one-handed game play, or can be integrated into a two-handed controller to add a dimension to game playing not possible with traditional video game controllers."

To gain further insider insight, GameCubicle contacted Gyration's Director of Marketing Communications, Marc Harris for the details of the new relationship. GameCubicle's pertinent questions prompted Harris to throw together a little Q&A on his company's relationship with Nintendo. We must note that in earlier conversation, Harris mentioned that he had made use of GameCubicle.com when preparing his initial presentation for Nintendo. Gyration demonstrated how their technologies could "enhance" such titles as Luigi's Mansion, Wave Race, and Rogue Squadron. The following was the response he provided...

How much money has Nintendo invested in Gyration?

GYRATION: Nintendo has respectfully asked Gyration not to disclose financial details of the investment.

What game applications benefit from a Gyration game controller?

GYRATION: The ease accuracy of moving a cursor or crosshair across a screen by pointing makes Gyration technology an excellent choice for 1st person shooters and other action games that require fast and precise targeting.

Which patents did Gyration license Nintendo?

GYRATION: US application Patents 5,898,421 and 5,440,326 which deal with tracking human motion and translating it into linear movement of computer graphic images.

Will the patent licensing affect the availability of Game Boy's Tilt motion feature that is currently available in Japan but not the US?

GYRATION: Not specifically, but the patents that Gyration has licensed Nintendo encompass this particular Game Boy feature in the US.

Does this agreement include a game pad development contract?

GYRATION: We are not at liberty to discuss this area.

What differentiates Gyration technology from accelerometer technology?

GYRATION: Unlike accelerometers used by all other motion game manufactures, gyros can track the yaw axis motion that is critical for intuitive game control. Yaw axis tracking allows users to naturally point and move objects left and right much the way screen objects move on their TVS without having to tilt the game controller. Gyros also provide a superior quality of tracking performance over tilt sensors because they are very accurate rate sensors.

Although another scenario is that close 3rd parties (Capcom, Namco, Sega, etc.) perhaps did not find the initial "innovative" input scheme translated well into actual game control development. (yes, the japanese studios were privy to the 1st & 2nd stage Revolution development kits first) Thereby forcing Nintendo to reconsider, (or redesign) or simply create various input options more suited to their needs. While simultaneously not abandoning their base concept. Because despite what some may think Iwata knows that without significant 3rd party support that the Revolution is destined to lose even more marketshare, & Nintendo declining profitability next-gen. Given the recent comments made by Iwata, it almost sounds as if the controller may be one of an almost user configurable design to simplify the number of buttons needed to execute control commands. This would not inhibit the developer as the ability to map or designate a button functionality interface would ultimately lie in the hands of the gamer. (for a universal appeal) But this is my own speculation fueled by the GAF topic, one has to surmise realistically that with backwards compatability a certain amount of buttons must be retained, & at least remain somewhat recognizable. I remember a quote from Miyamoto around the launch time of the Gamecube that the GC-esque type controller would remain the Nintendo standard for the next "10 years." (this gen. & the next obviously) Although these decisions are not determined by Miyamoto, (nor are the designs) & it seems that Iwata is intent on simplifying & innovating, or at the very least not making the Revolution's controllers any more complex but streamlining them. Gyration tech. could be for added functionality. Nintendo knows that this will be one of the Revolution's differentiating & hopefully attractive aspects. And therefore they must attempt to appeal to both the hardcore, as well as the novice & even traditionally non-gamers. At any rate it won't be anything so radically different as to alienate 3rd party developers.

I am completely dismissing the EA touch-screen on the controller rumor for obvious reasons. Cost association, & Nintendo's flat out denial that this DS type control scheme would be a part of their home system. Also despite being well known for quality manufactured products, the durability (these controllers cannot be thrown in frustration, spilled on, etc.) & inherent problems with touch screen tech. (dead-pixels etc.) would cause their customer service centers to literally implode imo.

The dual-processor rumor was first brought to light iirc by Smith Gregg of N-Sider. This appears to verify that very same type of Cpu configuration. The original rumored specs for the dual processor were:

System 2:

Dual 1.8 Ghz IBM G5 PowerPC processors
256 Megs DDR Main memory (64 dedicated to sound, using a 7.1 sound system at 196 Khz)
128 Megs GDDR3 Video memory
500 Mhz graphics chip (ATI developed, 16 Pixel Pipe, 220 Million transistors)

Shared Information:

Built in 15 Gigabyte harddrive
Blue-laser disk technology
Potential DVD playback
Case design philosophy more like the N64, less like the GameCube

Now other than quite possibly the Cpu, we now know that much of this information is completely inaccurate. As is almost the prospect of any type of HD/DVD compatability. I would venture to say that the Revolution won't even support DVD playback, but again opting for an equivalent or larger proprietary format to protect against piracy. (& of course, Nintendo's past aversion to paying unnecessary non-gaming related royalties to the CD/DVD consortiums) Given the widespread availability of $40.00 DVD players, this isn't even truly a highlighted selling feature on next-gen consoles imho. (barring the PS3's BR functionality) Screen supported resolutions, audio, & most importantly the online component is what the consumers will be looking for. Considering all things more or less being much more level visually across the board next generation, the software's quality & diversity is definitely what will drive the systems. (as it has done for the PS2) Although some time ago I tried to look into the feasibility of the Revolution supporting Blue-laser disk tech. Only & only if NEC & Toshiba are proactive against Blu-ray & willing to absorb, split, or assume the majority of the costs of integrating this technology into the Revolution, (somewhat akin to what Panasonic did with the Q) it may in fact be a viable possibility. In an uncharacteristic move, Iwata may even have Nintendo help further divide the financial risk. Especially since they can use existing dvd plants for future HD/DVD movie pressing, but they would have to have an ironclad confidence in the Revolution's potential market penetrability & range of demographic appeal if in fact this were to happen at all. It also appears Nintendo may have developed some technical partnerships outside of what we know thus far, different from those they have utilized in the past. (Panasonic as a disc drive developer/supplier no more?)

There won't be any usage of GDDR3 memory, as Nintendo is going with XDR. It's safe to assume also that they would be forced to, or simply just include 512mb as well. Porting potential software to a system with a shortage of 112mb of available ram is simply not going to happen. Some developers were complaining about it being prohibitive this gen. with the GC, where the memory discrepancies between systems were relatively not that large. So take these complaints & multipy them x100 for the next generation, & many studios will not even deal with the compression & software alteration issues. Remember the specs. being floated for System 1 included 512mb of ram with a single 2.7 ghz PowerPC G5 processor. I believe the dual processor speed has been increased, as well as the number of pixel pipes. (using studio references regarding the 1st stage Revolution dev. kits as either being on par, or even slightly less powerful than the XBX 360's nigh finalized kits)

Finally, the 15gb HDD rumor. Seeing as how its competitors in all likelihod will not be supporting this, Nintendo may very well grasp it if they've found an efficient & cost effective hw provider. MS said their HDD was underutilized, & cost prohibitive to produce. (which a 10gb or 15gb HDD at this point definitely is) Nintendo has been there somewhat before with the ill-fated 64DD. Why'd it fail? For one it just simply took too long to materialize, (3 years) was extremely costly as a standalone peripheral, was sold via a mail-order subscription plan, (the Randnet internet service alone was roughly $256 USD total for 1 year) was region locked, etc. Regardless of this, there was still talk specifically by Miyamoto in the GC's early days of introducing a possible HDD add-on, & showing 3rd party developer support what could be accomplished by Nintendo themselves leading the way with its own software & ideas. But missing out on all that profit brought in again by releasing incrementally larger 1st party flash memory cards, sticks, etc.? Is it necessary for their online platform community? Basically having to contract out a partner to produce specific 15gb HDD components for the next 5 years. I would generally say no, but it seems that Nintendo does have an interest here, as there have been talks ever since the failure of the 64DD. I still say it's chances are extremely slim, as it isn't truly a necessity, & added cost must always be taken into consideration.

The wire-based & wireless based controllers comes as no surprise, we are talking about the king of peripherals here. The talk of the GB Evolution I find intriuging though. When the Revolution launches in the 3rd-4th qtrs. of '06, the DS will already be 2yrs. old. About the same time the SP launched after the GBA. Was the talk of the DS being a "third pillar" legitimate? The third pillar talk was indeed genuine until they saw the demand. Nintendo simply did not foresee the sales success of the DS, which constantly caused them to revise sales projections. The future introduction of MP3 & movie playback functionality, (Play-yan, & other 3rd party solutions) worldwide internet service, extended PDA type features, etc, shows that Nintendo is seriously contending with the PSP, at least function-wise despite having the weaker hardware. (& I remember when Nintendo said that they would be satisfed if the NDS garnered 10% of marketshare)

This unanticipated success in effect delays the Evolution. With all that being said, the miniaturization/enhancement of the GC's internal architecture becomes increasingly cheaper & more feasible, portable hi-res screens become more economical, battery life grows longer. The DS is providing Nintendo with both profits as welll the all important further R&D time for Evolution. I can easily see the GB Evolution possibly launching over the holidays in '07, perhaps early-to-mid '08 at the very latest. This of course will be determined ultimately by the PSP's success. While Nintendo & 3rd parties can still support the DS's fanbase due to its overall cost efficiency in game development & components. Although Nintendo would be foolish not to link the two, the DS could be used in a variety of ways especially when the Revolution is online, & Reginald Fils-Aime did hint towards this possibility.

Nintendo's Revolution design being sleeker & much more appealing? A definite if the SP & DS's design are of any indication. This Reggie quote from his 1-UP interview gave me a laugh:

1UP: A lot of that has to do with how sexy iPods are.

RFA: I don't disagree. And you know what? We're pushing the envelope in making sure all of our products look sexy. SP is a sexy device. DS is a sexy device! I will grant you that GameCube was not a sexy device. (laughs) But you know what? We're smart people, we learn from our mistakes. I will bet you a drink at the bar of your choice, that Revolution will be a very sexy device.

Re: Could this anonymous informant be 100% correct? (Revolut

Li Mu Bai said:
This anonymous informant was extremely accurate as you can see
What, the only place I felt "accurate" is
It is backwards compatible with Gamecube games
You think just predicting this not-so-hard-to-predict point confirms other points as well? IMHO all those who talk with the name 'GB Evolution' are speculations and rumors.

I can't beleive you typed all that Li Mu Bai. that so called informant didn't exactly say anything new.

Re: Could this anonymous informant be 100% correct? (Revolut

Li Mu Bai said:
But he did say this; "if you think too hard you'll never guess what it is. It's nothing "new" technically speaking. It's just something that hasn't really been applied to video games yet."
This post is too lengthy for me, but reading this quote I don't see anything to get excited about regards accuracy. It's no more than I've expected based on rumours really, and this bit, saying the technology is nothing new, was an anonymous statement said months ago. Seems like old news regurgitated.

About the broadband included in the console, did this informant talk about Wifi, like what Iwata and NOA strongly hinted when they're saying online without line. Or did he talk about the good ol' RJ45 connector?

Hollywood, Broadway, HD DVD. ;)

Oh btw how could I have overlooked gyros being used in Revolution controllers? Nintendo said they wanted to incorporate gyros into DS but it would've exceeded the target price. Evolution which is the successor to GBA will have gyros I'm sure of it.

Vysez said:
About the broadband included in the console, did this informant talk about Wifi, like what Iwata and NOA strongly hinted when they're saying online without line. Or did he talk about the good ol' RJ45 connector?

I think it probably will be Wifi

PC-Engine said:
If Nintendo prefers Matsushita for the optical drive again (very probable for the BC to the GC) then HD-DVD is out of question. Blu-ray, which Matsushita backs, is more likely.

one said:
PC-Engine said:
If Nintendo prefers Matsushita for the optical drive again (very probable for the BC to the GC) then HD-DVD is out of question. Blu-ray, which Matsushita backs, is more likely.

Uh you don't need to have the same OEM for BC. There's nothing special about the GCN's optical drive. It's just a DVD drive mechanism with some special firmware. Any DVD drive can read GODs with the right firmware.

I agree these rumors don't speak to accuracy as far as I can tell.

I disputed at length the credibility of those system specs a long while ago over on the GCNGB at IGN.

I still dispute them.

Those specs where pure speculation with no point of logical derivation to validate them at their introduction or up to this point.

Gyroscopic controllers will require that each controller actually be two separate objects due to the fact that as humans we cannot rotate our wrists in the same plane along the same plane with respect to the horizontal orientation. We must rely on elbow movement primarily for that. The other issue is really precision itself that will be hard to duplicate.

I don't see that gyros would be good thing for anything requiring quick reflexes and navigation. i.e. FPS ala Half Life3 or Ninja Gaiden: Wrist Breaker!

HD-DVD or Blue Ray is complete up to Nintendo's whim. That's pretty much all anyone could assert unless they had actual specs which no one apparently has.

At this point I would dispute G5s or a Dual core G5 being used.

Qroach said:
I can't beleive you typed all that Li Mu Bai. that so called informant didn't exactly say anything new.

Much of this didn't require much digging obviously, as there had been speculation floating around for some time. Still good to have some secondary reliable sources.

Much of what I posted wasn't connected directly to this Quincy. ;)

Vysez said:

It was Wifi Vysez AFAIK.

A lot of that information comes from cube.ign.com.

Which in turn comes from N-Sider, who coincedentally initially posted those potential Revolution as well as the GB Evolution specs. I was commenting on their validity/feasibility. As well as what we know now.

CPU:IBM
Memory: Elpida
GPU: ATI
Drive: NEC.
Motherboard: Nintendo+NEC.
Controllers: Nintendo.

NEC is jointly handling the system LSI & the ram embedding process for Hollywood. They are not providing the drive as well. If they are indeed going the HD/DVD media route, expect more than simply NEC on board. Also, the HDD would need to be provided for this system as well if this were in fact true.

Uh you don't need to have the same OEM for BC. There's nothing special about the GCN's optical drive. It's just a DVD drive mechanism with some special firmware. Any DVD drive can read GODs with the right firmware.

Quite true PC-E.

Well, it 's not very long till E3 where we'll get more information on next-gen. Speculation is more of a way to spend your free time until it...

scificube said:
I agree these rumors don't speak to accuracy as far as I can tell.

I disputed at length the credibility of those system specs a long while ago over on the GCNGB at IGN.

I still dispute them.

Those specs where pure speculation with no point of logical derivation to validate them at their introduction or up to this point.

Gyroscopic controllers will require that each controller actually be two separate objects due to the fact that as humans we cannot rotate our wrists in the same plane along the same plane with respect to the horizontal orientation. We must rely on elbow movement primarily for that. The other issue is really precision itself that will be hard to duplicate.

I don't see that gyros would be good thing for anything requiring quick reflexes and navigation. i.e. FPS ala Half Life3 or Ninja Gaiden: Wrist Breaker!

HD-DVD or Blue Ray is complete up to Nintendo's whim. That's pretty much all anyone could assert unless they had actual specs which no one apparently has.

At this point I would dispute G5s or a Dual core G5 being used.

Dispute them based upon what exactly? Contrary speculation? Why dispute G5s or a dual core G5? I'm curious, as we know who's providing the Revolution's Cpu. So Nintendo invested in Gyration tech. so that their future implementation in a controller interface would be virtually unplayable? :rolleyes: Precision can be duplicated, they've had about 4.5 years to work that out if they were indeed going to include this aspect. I understand that we have little hard information to operate off of, but those that have the dev. kits to both have at least commented on comparative power. Why would logic be necessary to validate a possible early spec. sheet? :?:

hupfinsgack said:
Vysez said:

I think it probably will be Wifi

that moron said " no modem needed , broadband included" does he actually know what he says? :LOL:

that moron said " no modem needed , broadband included" does he actually know what he says? :LOL:

This is true, of course he may not have known the specifics. I obviously didn't take everything he said as truth, but he was right concerning certain aspects. (rumored or not) E3 shoud reveal how correct or incorrect he truly was.

Nintendo have invested in Matrix Semiconductor and ended up using Matrix ROMs. I don't see why Nintendo wouldn't use gyros in a controller considering they invested in Gyration and had planned on using them in DS. ;)

Li Mu Bai said:
Dispute them based upon what exactly? Contrary speculation? Why dispute G5s or a dual core G5? I'm curious, as we know who's providing the Revolution's Cpu. So Nintendo invested in Gyration tech. so that their future implementation in a controller interface would be virtually unplayable? :rolleyes: Precision can be duplicated, they've had about 4.5 years to work that out if they were indeed going to include this aspect. I understand that we have little hard information to operate off of, but those that have the dev. kits to both have at least commented on comparative power. Why would logic be necessary to validate a possible early spec. sheet? :?:

I don't think gyration will be used for control, since it draws quite a lot of power and would compromise the wireless controllers and its control schemes in games. However, it could be used as a kind of force feedback feature quite effectively, e.g. feedback in rally games when drifting , etc..

Back