2024 may not be kind for game developers.

These hirings and firings are not as unstable as you think. It's by design.
I argue the design is unstable, from a different perspective.
People are being naïve if they think Sony and MS woke up suddenly and said "OMG! We have too many people after all those acquisitions!" This is just a great excuse to get rid of the 10% worse performers. You can't make more and better games with these underperformers. It's not going to happen. I once let 1 out of 12 people go in a certain position and the other 11 people left actually increased more than 10% in productivity because morale went up because I finally let go of the dead weight. "It was about time..."
Sure. But why wait for two years to ditch 10% of your workforce in one fell swoop when you can get rid of each problem employee on a case-by-case basis as the need arises over the years? Waiting for mass firing means disrupting your better employees longer than is necessary. If that's what's happening here, it still smacks of poor management to me. You've been employing dead weight for longer than necessary - dead weight should be removed constantly through the year, so instead of a headlining "x% jobs cut" you just have the typical hiring and firing cycle. The moment you have a large layoff like EA shedding 5% of workforce, it's hard to explain away from a logical POV. You might argue it's typical, but that points to a more endemic problem about how business operates that it really shouldn't be typical. Hire good workers as you go. Picked up a duffer? Let them go ASAP. As you hire more people, you grow the company, make more stuff, make more money, can afford your current staff and maybe add more. You should only be making big layoffs in response to a big market change impacting your revenue where you can't afford all the great staff you've been employing for years.

And it's worth nothing that the stories for most of these layoffs aren't saying it's dead weight at all but redirecting the company to adjust to a changing market. You're suggesting that stories like these are just smoke and mirrors to clear house?

Last edited:
This is not the thread to discuss Economics and the politics of Capitalism. Those opinions on Capitalism and statements about how good or bad it is don't belong in this forum. Last warning - all subsequent posts wanting to discuss the politics of job-losses will be axed.

We can keep opinion to the level of agree/disagree with companies firing people. The further discussion on the whys and wherefores of those choices can't be carried out outside of RPSC for obvious reasons.

Political discussion moved here.

An announcement penned by Xbox Studios lead, Matt Booty, has surfaced online today after being sent to internal staff at Microsoft. In this announcement, we learn about some major changes happening behind the scenes at Bethesda. For starters, Arkane Austin, the studio responsible for Redfall and Prey, is being shut down. Additionally, Microsoft's only Japanese studio, Tango Gameworks, is also closing down, just one year after shipping Hi-Fi Rush, which was arguably the best first-party Xbox game of 2023.
Alpha Dog Studios, Bethesda's mobile-focused studio primarily known for Mighty Doom, is also closing down and the game Mighty Doom will be ‘sunset' in August. Finally, we have Roundhouse Games, which is not closing down. However, the team will be absorbed by Zenimax Online Studios to aid in work on The Elder Scrolls Online and other projects.

Seemingly, one of the people caught off guard is Dinga Bakaba, the creative head of the Arkane Lyon mothership and director or lead designer of games like Dishonored 2, Deathloop, and the upcoming Blade game. Bakaba wasn’t mincing works in a thread on X

“This is absolutely terrible. Permission to be human -- to any executive reading this, friendly reminder that video games are an entertainment and cultural industry, and your business as a corporation is to take care of your artists/entertainers and help them create value for you. Don't throw us into gold fever gambits, don't use us as strawmen for miscalculations/blind spots, don't make our work environments Darwinist jungles. You say we make you proud when we make a good game. Make us proud when times are tough. We know you can, we've seen it before.

For now, great teams are sunsetting before our eyes again, and it's a fucking gut stab. Lyon is safe, but please be tactful and discerning about all this, and respect affected folks' voice and leave it room to be heard, it's their story to tell, their feelings to express.”

Meh. Just one guy's opinion. It's all emotion. It's a business and we don't really know why these studios were closed.

It's funny that Lionhead closure is being brought up when history revealed that they were complete fuck ups (especially Molyneux) and MS was right to close them.

The business were closed because Microsoft is absolutely inept at managing their studios and that falls primarily on Phil Spencer. He should have been gone a long time ago due to incompetence but, it is what it is... Hopefully those affected can find new opportunities but I sincerely doubt it. I know personally way too many people in the tech sector who have been affected by layoffs and new opportunities are rare. It's the kind of market where you have to think on your feet and create opportunities for yourself.

The business were closed because Microsoft is absolutely inept at managing their studios and that falls primarily on Phil Spencer. He should have been gone a long time ago due to incompetence but, it is what it is... Hopefully those affected can find new opportunities but I sincerely doubt it. I know personally way too many people in the tech sector who have been affected by layoffs and new opportunities are rare. It's the kind of market where you have to think on your feet and create opportunities for yourself.
Is it his fault or the decisions of higher ups who don't have the same vision in gaming?

Is it his fault or the decisions of higher ups who don't have the same vision in gaming?
Phil is the one who will be leading the strategy and decision making of Xbox. That's the job. And the only person higher than him is the CEO of Microsoft, and Satya will not be micromanaging Xbox or making any kind of decisions on Xbox without Phil's express consent and support.

Phil is the one who will be leading the strategy and decision making of Xbox. That's the job. And the only person higher than him is the CEO of Microsoft, and Satya will not be micromanaging Xbox or making any kind of decisions on Xbox without Phil's express consent and support.
If you could point his mistakes what would they be?

The Series X was designed with gaming in mind and is a well rounded product. Promised games seemed great. He even struck a deal with Kojima. The studio purchases were supposed to bring a lot of content.

I think the biggest error was focusing on Gamepass. But other than that, I m struggling to pinpoint with certainty if it was his fault, external reasons or directors of the studios running the games.

Especially the closure of Tango after announcing Hi Fi Rush was a huge success, was shocking

No it's definitely his fault. As it stands, under his watch Xbox has never been lower than it's ever been barring the launch of the og Xbox. This dude is hands down the worst gaming ceo of the last 2 decades and I certainly have the receipts to prove it. Those above him have definitely started to wrestle away control from him and deservedly so. When you've done absolutely nothing useful in the last decade and mismanaged your department so poorly that you're Wii U'ing the Series X, its not surprising. Couple that with the fact that he spent $70 billion of the company's money to buy Activision and it's not surprising that there's a new level of scrutiny.

If anyone has been attending Microsoft's quarterly calls and looking at the performance of Xbox this gen, then this is not news. Hardware -30+% and guiding downwards for the next quarter? The core xbox team is unproductive and barely is only being propped up by Activision's revenue? I mean none of this is surprising and it's 100% Phil's fault. One of the most incompetent CEOs I've ever had the displeasure of watching.

If you could point his mistakes what would they be?

The Series X was designed with gaming in mind and is a well rounded product. Promised games seemed great. He even struck a deal with Kojima. The studio purchases were supposed to bring a lot of content.

I think the biggest error was focusing on Gamepass. But other than that, I m struggling to pinpoint with certainty if it was his fault, external reasons or directors of the studios running the games.

Especially the closure of Tango after announcing Hi Fi Rush was a huge success, was shocking
Hardware is one of the few areas I think MS have done well with overall under Phil, sure. I still think Series S was a slight misstep in execution, but I think the idea was good.

Yes, I'd put the heavy push for Gamepass to be one of the mistakes, but I will say I've been biased against Gamepass and subscription services for games in general since the start. I can write a lot about why, so wont do it here, but I think it was always going to be difficult to make work, even with more subscribers, and would put them in a seriously terrible position if it didn't.

Honestly, there's so much I could mention. Getting the Fallout IP and not getting somebody on a new Fallout game immediately was a mountain of a mistake. They knew BGS wasn't gonna be making a new Fallout game for quite a long time, but they had TWO other big-name studios with experience making quality Fallout games. This should have been put to one of either inXile or Obsidian, and made an issue of it.

And that goes to another thing - I think Phil tried to be too friendly and hands-off with developers. He never found the right balance between having a forceful hand and granting freedom. Game projects need people to be making hard decisions and keeping the project on track, and publisher pressure is a big component of ensuring this.

I'd also say Phil simply had the wrong mindset as he 'conceded' the console wars and made the bizarre statement that great games dont sell consoles. That's genuinely the opposite of the truth and to hear that from the head of Xbox dumbfounded me. It's the #1 reason they are in the position they are in, and it's literally the only thing that will save them going forward. No, they may not 'win' the console wars, but if they want to get back in the fight and at least carve out a safer existence, it's KEY to make great games that will help sell Xbox's. There's room for both Sony and Xbox even if Xbox doesn't outright win.

Basically, Phil already had made a decision at some point that they were gonna try and 'swerve' and find some alternate route to success instead of playing the game the way it's always been played. But there's a reason the game has always been played the way it has. It's what works. And now they seem completely lost in trying to figure out this mythical alternate path and it's just sinking them further and losing the public's confidence in the process. They aren't an 'agile' business, either. This is Microsoft, the most corporation of corporations. lol

I could go on with lots and lots of more detail points that all add up hugely over time, but these are some of the more broad headline points, I think.

Is there any good consumer polling about their console buying preferences that include their main purchasing factors like price, hardware, games library?

It's funny how everyone criticizes Phil for not making the hard decisions wrt to internal devs and then can't handle it when he does make the hard decisions (axing Tango, Arkane Austin etc...). He can't win with you guys. LOL

Last edited:
Is there any good consumer polling about their console buying preferences that include their main purchasing factors like price, hardware, games library?
Not that we have access to; which is precisely my point around here so often. MS and Sony know WAY more about what's going on than we do.

Hardware is one of the few areas I think MS have done well with overall under Phil, sure. I still think Series S was a slight misstep in execution, but I think the idea was good.

Yes, I'd put the heavy push for Gamepass to be one of the mistakes, but I will say I've been biased against Gamepass and subscription services for games in general since the start. I can write a lot about why, so wont do it here, but I think it was always going to be difficult to make work, even with more subscribers, and would put them in a seriously terrible position if it didn't.
I don't think so. They just haven't reached the critical mass of games needed to drive subscriber growth. They were probably naïve about what that would take though.
Honestly, there's so much I could mention. Getting the Fallout IP and not getting somebody on a new Fallout game immediately was a mountain of a mistake. They knew BGS wasn't gonna be making a new Fallout game for quite a long time, but they had TWO other big-name studios with experience making quality Fallout games. This should have been put to one of either inXile or Obsidian, and made an issue of it.
Honestly, no one knew the Fallout show would be a mega success and it takes 5 years to make a game now. It's crazy to be critical of this. Obsidian's working on 3 games right now - Grounded (with millions of players), Avowed, and Outer Worlds 2. Give me a break.
I'd also say Phil simply had the wrong mindset as he 'conceded' the console wars and made the bizarre statement that great games dont sell consoles. That's genuinely the opposite of the truth and to hear that from the head of Xbox dumbfounded me. It's the #1 reason they are in the position they are in, and it's literally the only thing that will save them going forward. No, they may not 'win' the console wars, but if they want to get back in the fight and at least carve out a safer existence, it's KEY to make great games that will help sell Xbox's. There's room for both Sony and Xbox even if Xbox doesn't outright win.
He shouldn't have verbalized this, but it's essentially true that digital ecosystem lockdowns and no growth in the console market made it almost impossible for MS to make ground this generation. They know they need AAA games, btw.

It's funny how everyone criticizes Phil for not making the hard decisions wrt to internal devs and then can't handle it when he does make the hard decisions (axing Tango, Arkane Austin etc...). He can't win with you guys. LOL
When talking about making hard decisions, we dont mean closing studios, ffs. It should have never gotten to this point where such a decision needed to be made, cuz both Arkane Austin and Tango were valuable assets that could make good games. It's on Phil that they didn't make better use of them. Redfall should have been cancelled much earlier so Arkane could get to work on something they wanted to make and had expertise in. And Tango, well, Tango's closing is just bewildering in general. They weren't producing mega sales, but they made good games, which is what Xbox needs more than anything.

Please dont be disingenuous. He absolutely could have won with all of us many times in the past, but the fact that he hasn't is why we're at where we're at now, and why I'd say most people do not think he's fit for leadership. He's proven he isn't. He's well beyond some trial phase. We are allowed to cast judgements here.

Honestly, no one knew the Fallout show would be a mega success and it takes 5 years to make a game now. It's crazy to be critical of this. Obsidian's working on 3 games right now - Grounded (with millions of players), Avowed, and Outer Worlds 2. Give me a break.
I was saying this well before the Fallout show. As were plenty of other people. Fallout show wasn't what put it on the map, it was already a big franchise/IP for them.

Again, Obsidian OR InXile should have been handed a demand to do a Fallout game a long time ago. Something like Outer Worlds 2 should have been shelved while it was still early on. That, or again, InXile, who basically already make Fallout games just with a different name.

Give you a break? No man, you will literally defend anything to do with Xbox. It is basically reflexive for you at this point. I know it's painful for you to hear all this criticism for some reason, but they really do deserve it.

Back