PC local Co-op games

Looking at that game I also noticed another racing game that has 4 player split screen

Looking at that game I also noticed another racing game that has 4 player split screen

first review that comes up when searching on youtube. I am seriously considering getting this one 'cos I prefer the more arcadey style and my nephews are F1 nuts.

Glad to be of service....
ps: If it gets wheel support I'll end up buying it too
well, I got the game today. It runs very well and it has excellent graphics. But while arcadey, it was a bit too difficult for my nephews. I mean, you must go to the boxes at times, switch to the correct tyres, etc, and no auto throttle, which helps my 4 y.o. nephew a lot, specially.

The game is excellent but I asked for a refund because I have F1 23, the full game, on EA Play, and they can play it for a long time because it is an easy game to set up and play one race after another. It also has a lot of features to help them drive and keep on track, so they just have fun.

Do you nephews have any love for open world space-themed building games? Would they enjoy Space Engineers? It supports both survival and creative modes. The former is a standard resources grind as you go mining for resources at larger and larger scales, refining the raw resources into ingots, and then into parts, and then those parts can be used to build awesome planet or moon bases, space stations, rovers, ships, etc. Of course the creative mode skips the grind and lets you just get to building. There isn't any compelling storyline, although there are a few inbuilt "scenarios" where you're given a set of tasks and limitations to overcome.

The only downer is you'll need to fire up the dedicated server, which does not require a license but does require a Windows box to run it. As long as your main gaming rig has at least six CPUs and probably 16GB of ram or more, you could host the server instance alongside the normal gaming instance on the same PC. For my own home, i run an instance of the dedicated server as a virtual machine on my Proxmox host.

Pretty sure F1 23 has no auto throttle either.
you are correct, but it works for my 4 y.o. 'cos the game tries to keep him on the track as much as possible and auto reset the position when a crash happens. He never wins but he accelerates in intervals, some longer than others, and he is happy with the speed.

Do you nephews have any love for open world space-themed building games? Would they enjoy Space Engineers? It supports both survival and creative modes. The former is a standard resources grind as you go mining for resources at larger and larger scales, refining the raw resources into ingots, and then into parts, and then those parts can be used to build awesome planet or moon bases, space stations, rovers, ships, etc. Of course the creative mode skips the grind and lets you just get to building. There isn't any compelling storyline, although there are a few inbuilt "scenarios" where you're given a set of tasks and limitations to overcome.

The only downer is you'll need to fire up the dedicated server, which does not require a license but does require a Windows box to run it. As long as your main gaming rig has at least six CPUs and probably 16GB of ram or more, you could host the server instance alongside the normal gaming instance on the same PC. For my own home, i run an instance of the dedicated server as a virtual machine on my Proxmox host.
now that you mention, my 6 y.o. asked me yesterday for a game where he could build houses and so on. I guess something similar to Minecraft. It's not the first time he asks for something similar, but I don't know many games like that.

Other times he wants to play games featuring aircraft. The other day both asked me to play a pirates game šŸ˜…, and so on and so forth.

I've checked the game you mention. The creative mode is what I like the most. As for the CPU and RAM, both should be fine in my rig. The game is single player though, that's the main issue. If they could play together, and interact as usual, they would have fun building things with a controller.

They pay me a visit once a month, twice a month, 3 times a month... it depends. But they are long visits and they play quite a few games.

The absolute hitters for them are Rocket League, Paw Patrol games (I told them once "hey, what are you doing in the water?", my nephew; "he lost them, I am looking for the glasses of Captain Turbo" šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚), F1 23, Disneyland Adventures, easy to play arcade split-screen racing games and the odd shmup with aircraft here and there.

In that sense, PC gamepass has been a great source of games to play with the family. There are Paw Patrol games, some "me against the neighborhood" beat em ups, Disney games, etc. Also because the gamepads work better for some reason. On Steam I have to disable Steam Input in certain games for both gamepads to work, dunno why.

Yeah, you could absolutely build houses in Space Engineers; there's an earth-like planet with the usual / normal gravity and no worry about running out of air or whatever. There are also other planets with low gravity, and sometimes no air but in Creative mode your air wouldn't run out. There's no water in the game, it's either land or ice, unless you install some of the free community mods which DO enable liquid water and thus boats. I've never used one of those mods, but I know a lot of people do and seem to enjoy the extra gameplay.

Also the game does generate some "bad guys" which are just autonomous ships that will shoot at you; if you're just building fun stuff, then you can turn those off. For smaller kids they might be irritating...

so like a sociological study, here are the games that work like a charm for my very young nephews:

- Rocket League (they have like 50 hours of gameplay combined in 2 years, they usually play local against easy AI or training and score at will, they tried online a couple of times but get beaten sooooo badly)

- Team Sonic Racing (tracks clarity is good, great sense of speed, and they don't get stuck, like any good karting game, LOTS of compensation going on, my 4 y.o. nephew is usually well behind of the pack but the game usually gives him that item where he is unstoppable, although even so he lags behind, fun game)

- Paw Patrol games (all on PC Gamepass). They played 3 of them, one a karts game the others are platformers and liked them all.

- Rush, A DisneyPixar Adventure (PC Gamepass), they love this one very much. Superb coop gameplay and the missions are easy to follow. They specially like the missions involving cars and Lighning McQueen

- Horizon Chase Turbo (easy to drive, too bad my 4 y.o. nephew forgets how important fuel is)

- Slipstream (nice local split screen, easy to handle cars, they call it "the game of the countries 'cos they switch countries when driving)

- F1 23, they love F1, and the game helps them a lot.

- Hotshot Racing, 90s racing style game. They LOVE the mode where they escape from police but if you get caught you become a police. Too bad you can't create a list of tracks to play so they can play that continuously instead of having me setting that game mode up every time :/ )

Those above are the big hitters.

- Garfield Kart Furious Racing. Easy to play and fun for them. No auto throttle though.

- Toybox Turbos (not their most played game but they like it)

- Jamestown, tough shmup but you can decrease de difficulty level and they like the mage-like ship

- Mini Motor Racing X, okay for them maybe a bit complicated for my 4 y.o. nephew.

- Race Condition, they like it 'cos it has F1 like cars.

- Strikers 1945 shmups. They've beaten them 'cos of infinite continues. They like games with airplanes.

There are a few more like All-Star Fruit Racing and others, but maybe too complex for them. They also played a roguelike, Lost Castle, which they liked.

Last edited:
I thought team sonic was more difficult than Mario cart so it is good to see your comparison as a gauge of the other games. We played team sonic a bit though and will continue.

Any good for your nephew I played it years ago and thought it was fun

Supports Remote Play together (I have no idea what that is)

Any good for your nephew I played it years ago and thought it was fun

Supports Remote Play together (I have no idea what that is)
thanks! The game isn't available on Steam though.

Remote Play Together afaik is some kind of local multiplayer, similar to Remote Play on TV, so I guess the game has 2 players or split-screen support. That's the most confusing concept of Steam for me too, and Remote Play on TV....

edit: the second video of the game in Steam shows a 4 players split-screen, and even online multiplayer with split-screen. This is the kind of game my nephews would go crazy about.

Last edited:
They like games with airplanes.
My nephews saw sine mora in my library over easter and it kept them occupied for a while. Price isn't too bad, no brainer if you find it on sale. Maybe Jets and Guns 2 could be worth keeping an eye on for sales aswell.

My nephews saw sine mora in my library over easter and it kept them occupied for a while. Price isn't too bad, no brainer if you find it on sale. Maybe Jets and Guns 2 could be worth keeping an eye on for sales aswell.

thanks, I never gave that game a try to play with my nephews. I created a collection in Steam with games they play or could potentially play, but that one isn't on the list for whatever reason, 'cos I have the game.... Time to add it to that collection since they can play it together.

Back