Zen Pinball 3d (3ds) looks excellent

Zen studios did a great job with the tables. Lighting, textures, proper anti aliasing (in both 2d and 3d) make for one of the best looking looking offerings on the handheld. Physics seem spot-on too, there's online leaderboards, and it even features hot-seat multiplayer for up to 8 people. Looks pretty stunning in 3d, and I never had any problems with the sweet-spot either. Best of all, at €5 for 4 tables it's actually reasonably well priced.

Now with this and Mario 3d Land, I actually really enjoy the system for the first time since I bought it at launch.

It's good to know the 3DS is doing better as time goes on. I think it's a rather good console. I have Pinball FX 1 and 2 on the Xbox 360, and they are fantastic games.

Even so, though, I miss their tables are only originals. I would love to play some classic pinball tables from Williams, Gottlieb, etc. Too bad they don't make recreations, perhaps due to copyright issues? I was a lot into pinball years ago.

My favourite pinball table ever was Williams' "Funhouse".

I'm more of a fan of actual existing machines as well, but Zen studios did a great job regardless. My only real gripe with the game (not a 3ds specific issue, because Zen Pinball/Pinball FX/FX2 have the exact same problem) is that somebody at Zen studios thought it would be alright to only have one single looping piece of background music for each table. This really chips away from the excitement that all the special table goals are supposed to provide. Especially on the 3ds where the dot matrix display is displayed on the bottom screen it's also a source of confusion because you sometimes don't even realize you triggered a special mode in the first place. They got it right with the Marvel tables at least, but unfortunately those aren't in the 3ds version.

By the way, if you are looking for real tables, Pinball Hall of Fame - The Williams Collection (PS3/360/Wii) is pretty good. Looks a bit dated though. Still, it has Medieval Madness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back