Zelda Wii - Beyond Twilight Princess - discussion

what would you really want to see for the next main Legend of Zelda game on Wii ?

what do you reasonably expect of the game?

knowing that it'll be a complete change from Ocarina, MM, TWW and Twilight Princess which all share similar gameplay, there are tons of possibilities.

do you want 1:1 sword/shield fighting/defense with the Wiimote where Lind does whatever you do on-screen? I think that's too much to expect. I think Nintendo will go with a happy-medium between a few pre-scripted moves and fully 1:1 movement. still much more depth than the Wii version of Twilight Princess.

I expect a world that's somewhat larger than that of Twilight Princess
(and we don't even know how large Twilight Princess is)

more underwater worlds (but not a water overworld like TWW), maybe a part of Hyrule in the sky (that you reach by way of Dragon or Eagle)

as for presentation, perhaps another combination of semi-realistic 3D and surealistic cel-shading as in Twilight Princess, but more pronouced differences. it Link travels back in time and becomes a child again, I'm all for cel-shading, but cel-shading with the right artwork. i loved the cel-shaded visuals of TWW but i hated the goofy artwork & forms of most of the characters including Link. it wasn't right. I think the cel-shaded Twilight Realm in Twilight Princess is the direction to go, even if Link becomes a child again.

release year - I think fall 2008 is probably "too soon to expect" but before we enter the next decade, late 2009, is probably a good point, about half way through Wii's life, a life that I expect will be 6 years. that gives Nintendo a little over 3 years from now to develop the game, and i believe Miyamoto has been working on ideas for it since 2005.
I don't think Nintendo should show work in progress until 2008, in video form, and in playable form until early 2009 assuming a near-end-of-the-decade release.

story? no idea on that :)

well i hope this quickly thrown-together post is good enough to start a decent discussion :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't really answer your question, but I must say that I am somewhat uncomfortable with using the abbreviation TP in Wii discussions.

It gives me Beavis and Butthead flashbacks.

I can't really answer your question, but I must say that I am somewhat uncomfortable with using the abbreviation TP in Wii discussions.

It gives me Beavis and Butthead flashbacks.

:LOL:

I wouldn't mind a cel-shading style. Not even if it were a lot like Wind Waker. A more anime-esque cel-shading would also go over very well with me.

Wind Waker's style really, really grew on me throughout the game.

Wow I don't know.

In fact, I don't know what is so special about Twillight. For me, every major Zelda game has been a knock out masterpiece. I expect no less from twilight, but is seems like so many people expect more. Is it just the timing and the resurgence of Nintendo fandom*?

*I must admit I'm feeling a twinge of it. And yes it does have a little bearig on my anticipation for the game.

6 year life? I'd expect next xbox in 2010 release. I can't imagine Wii holding up that long.

But yes, Zelda. I expect more of the same. Don't want any FPA like Red Steel, not yet. And as someone else said. Zelda release is that monumental moment in a Nintendo console's life, and I expect greatness.

6 year life? I'd expect next xbox in 2010 release. I can't imagine Wii holding up that long.

Nah, the 360 will go to 2011 before a new system releases. Assuming Sony stays on their 6 year lifecycle that would give MS a full 6 year lifecycle, and still allow them to launch a fully developed and unrushed new console a year before Sony.

As for the Wii holding up that long, who knows. The controller better be damned awesome though, because the graphics already look outdated.

I think graphics expectations are reaching a russian dolls situation where they're mattering less and less, I say this bullshit you with some rhetoric and slogans. honestly, I don't Zelda is something you'd get a wii for yet...

but I'll get it for Metroid Prime 3.

I think the graphics of Zelda Twilight Princess are fine.

with the next Zelda, I'd like 60fps for more precise control / fighting which Nintendo is almost certain to make a focus of. that with larger environments thanks to Wii's substantial increase in RAM will be enough for me.

Back