ZDNet/JAPAN: Ken Kutaragi, PS3 Route To Realization

ChryZ

Veteran
ZDNet: August 26 said:
PS3 -- "Route to realization" which Mr. Kutaragi Ken tells Next-generation Playstation of making the world of a movie "a matrix" actual (PS3). But, many blank portions are still left behind to the vision realization. He asked how it would be buried for the "road map" to Mr. Kutaragi Ken of the S C E president and CEO this time.

By the way, of Mr. Kutaragi Ken's of the Sony computer entertainment president and CEO's talk is told in many cases like mere fancy science. Although he hardly tells [ except ] about the concrete technology and the product outline about a product of the next generation when the ?? right tree is required, he talks happily about the world and technical concept which exist further previously. Moreover, the said person also explains the prospective view of semiconductor technology pleasantly.

However, although the world of the entertainment using future computer technology spreads out, if it refers to reality, in the meantime, SUPPORI and the big crevice are vacant in the portion which speaks about a future vision, in many cases. How is the meantime connected? There was no other way but the to surround. It is the reason those whom this hit banters anonymously, saying "Mr. Kutaragi Ken will not know the technology of the spot only by about a vision in the future" do not die out.

However, the person who tells a future vision caught sight of Mr. Kutaragi Ken who actually interviewed, having carried out follow-up of the between until it results [ from present ] with future exactly, and calculating the relation of management, technology, and a market finely. It has been visible so possibly because the vision for tying to the future also from Mr. Kutaragi Ken's mouth has come to be shown, although it is little-by-little.

"Box" of PS3 -- It is not essence although PS3 as a game machine also exists.

For a writer, the interview to Mr. Kutaragi Ken is the 2nd time. The talk was observed for the first time in January, 2002. At this time, the said person was talking as follows.

"Although AREKORE and the talk have come out about next-generation Playstation (PS3), finally the way (the business technique by PS2 and PS2 correspondence software) through which the format corresponding to the console game machine of a simple substance and it is spread becomes by PS2. A "box" called PS3 does not exist and a formal software package called PS3 format does not exist, either." (Mr. Kutaragi Ken)

"The actual condition of PS3 exists not in one box but in all digital equipments, and imagination computing power is demonstrated by their being connected in a network. Moreover, the software equivalent to PS3 format is also in a network."

In addition, the said person was repeating and doing the talk of a movie "a matrix" at this time. In a matrix, all human beings exist in the virtual reality which the computer (ed). The technical base which produces the huge virtual computer corresponding to the network for the high virtual reality of a reality is required for ???? (it has a simultaneous advanced simulation world which is parallel, is performed and is connected by network).

A little, although it may be moved by tic [ SF ], if it carries out from the trend of a computer science, it will not be an exorbitant talk in itself. However, if only it is told, it will be truly finished as free SF (if the meantime is not reasoned). Then, he asked whether the "box" of PS3 would exist.

"Probably, there is no inconvenience, even if it says "it is" about PS3 format. There is "a thing [ like ]" of a main profile (in S C E, the format specification for every application is expressed as a "profile"). Moreover, the box "PS3" as a "metaphor (metaphor) is also appearing."

", however PS3 themselves "melt" in a home server, television, etc. The architecture of PS3 is may be in a home server, may exist in AV rack, or sufficient [ the form of a game console ]" (Mr. Kutaragi Ken).

That is, although PS3 as a game machine exists, it says that it wants without being conscious of a physical (it is (like DVD of PS2)) format also about software again. PS3 is because the architecture with a strong network inclination which grows scalable is adopted.

As the last column was also introduced, Mr. Kutaragi Ken expressed not using the architecture of PS2 in addition to PSX and its variation model. Moreover, it is declared that the whole Sony group is to adopt the CELL processor used by the PS3 architecture, and its circumference tip.

It is shown that the semiconductor of the S C E development is incorporated as a key component of saying [ melting into a home server or television ], i.e., digital AV household electric appliances. Therefore, "PS3 as a box" is a metaphor expressing PS3, and is not spread.

Two or more mile [ step / growth / of PS3 ] stone

About next-generation PS architecture connected in a network, the ?? right tree may be telling as follows.

"In Japan, the broadcloth band connection for homes has spread explosively. If it will become the time of optical access in the future, a zone may be expanded infinitely. If a future optical access line compares with the zone made possible, the local bus zone is narrower much. Probably, it should ask for computing power into a network."

But probably, to SUGU, it is unrealizable how much in the world of a game where interactive nature is strongly called for although it is what has a method actual in the application of non-real time suddenly [ the spread of broadcloth bands ] of connecting CELL with the Internet and realizing huge computing power.

The present computer network is because it is based on the architecture like PC which is made to raise the computing power as box monochrome, and realizes communication of each box in a network. A network-oriented processor operates in simultaneous parallel and it has not become the topology which turned [ network ] to the architecture of CELL computing of straddling and operating as a virtual computer, in penetration. Moreover, the problem of a network latency cannot be disregarded, either.

Mr. Kutaragi Ken also fully recognizes this. PS3 tip in the world cannot necessarily be suddenly connected through the Internet. The first mile stone is realizing CELL computing in a domestic network.

"The first step which realizes CELL computing in the network of PC base will connect PS3 domestic device with peer to peer one. If it is domestic, the formation of an extensive zone is easy. The same of asking for the new possibility there is said of S C E, Intel, and Microsoft. However, if it says about a domestic digital device, after Sony is elated much, there is advantage at the point of the PS3 architecture making more than one exist in a domestic network." (Mr. Kutaragi Ken)

"Although a latency will become large all the time, of course if compared with being connected inside a box since it will become a wireless network about 50m in cable distance, concealing technically is easy if it is a latency about domestic LAN."

First of all, the architecture of CELL computing is mounted in a home network, and it is connected to the Internet after that. "If the edge server which the ISP side prepares, and a proxy become the technology of the next generation PS and this generation who adapt themselves to CELL computing or grid computing, it will become possible to expand the communication range of CELL from a home to the Internet." (Mr. Kutaragi Ken)

As for the architecture of CELL, S C E, Toshiba, and IBM are together in charge of development. IBM is especially told to have committed strongly to CELL. Apart from use to the entertainment of CELL which S C E aims at, IBM is because it thinks that network apparatus and the various servers supporting the Internet will be constituted from CELL. Sony connects domestic by CELL and IBM connects the contents of a server rack by CELL.

Moreover, if the whole Internet shifts to the generation not only corresponding to CELL of S C E, Toshiba, and IBM but network-oriented computing, in long-term SUPAN, it will be the scenario that huge virtual reality (simulation which moves in simultaneous parallel) is realized in the Internet.

"If it becomes the world of CELL, the media of software will become a network from an optical disc now. Own topology of a computer also changes. If it goes into the domain exceeding the entertainment which consists of present 3D graphics and a uniform program which can express emotion, a computer will become much more interesting than now." (Mr. Kutaragi Ken)

"Broadcast, communication, and communication also go into a new domain. (It can communicate only with the feeling whose people are in the other side of a window) The time of a TV phone should become nostalgic. Huge computing power is because "the feeling which exists on that occasion" can be made by operation. It can go up to the world of virtual reality like a movie "a matrix." If the home of hundreds of millions of households in the world is connected, what 10,000 times of an earth simulator and what 100,000 times as many power as this can be produced."

"Although there were some persons who regard the latency of a network as questionable, when communication distance became long also in the telephone a long time ago, the clear latency was felt, for example. However, a latency is not felt wherever it may telephone [ of the world ] now. The network which can communicate automatically will be realized like it in the future."

How does it respond to the mystery which still remains?

But about a fine technical detail, there are also still many mysteries.

The most interesting one is whether to manage the CELL computing environment of real time by OS with what the architecture. In order to realize the world which the ?? right tree says, you have to realize scalable and distributed processing environment of real time where a network latency is concealed. As for OS of CELL, S C E, IBM, the research period of a university, etc. are in charge of development.

Moreover, the framework of application development will also become more important than before. If the scalability by the side of a system improves, the application which moves on it also needs to become scalable. Different approach from the software which moves on the fixed hardware is required.

In order that S C E might ease the difficulty of game development using 3D graphics in Founder PS, it concealed hardware and made the development burden of the game developer who was not experienced in 3D game development yet mitigate by offering the library for accessing 3D function easily. Similarly it should not be made conscious of CELL computing as much as possible, but must stop having to offer the development framework which can utilize the power.

Although information has been gradually disclosed from the vision about a CELL processor and CELL computing which connects them to reality, determining the possibility as an entertainment platform finally has started the software base and development tool for better contents being produced.

S C E made 3D hardware access via a graphic library in Founder PS. In PS2, both sides of the development technique using the approach which squeezes out direct power from hardware, and the middleware which a third vender offers are supported. In PSP, the Founder[ PS ]-like technique which restricts hardware access to a new function and is controlled by the library side was taken.

Although the method of not making it conscious [ by a certain method ] of hardware or network composition by PS3 will be offered, the burden which the S C E side bears will increase sharply. In this interview, although not touched about PS of PS3, development environment, and the tool, if the portion becomes clear, the figure of software which will be realized on PS3 can imagine as a more concrete thing.
[ Masakazu Honda ZDNet/JAPAN]
original japanese article
translation by exite

Sorry for the rough translation, I am sure better ones will show up within the next days.

It is the reason those whom this hit banters anonymously, saying "Mr. Kutaragi Ken will not know the technology of the spot only by about a vision in the future" do not die out.

You know... I agree completely! ;) :LOL:

*G*

Why do I get the sneaking suspicion that even with a 100% "readable" translation...we'll be no closer to understanding what Sony actually envisions PS3's role in the "grand scheme of things is."

Does Sony know? ;)

I believe that I Saw that ideology in other systems (Urian looks her iMAC G4).

Digital Life by Sony. :rolleyes:

So let me get this straight, if i understand this engrish PS3 will be capable of

- external scalability, a form of parallelism, sort of what SETI is doing
- downloadable PS3 softwares (games i guess) via the network

The scalable architecture is puzzling though, data transfer from your PS3 (main) to other CELL enabled devices (network) for them to read data and transfer back the results to the main CELL ? How the hell do you code a game with that in mind?

Kutaragi is nuts :?

The scalable architecture is puzzling though, data transfer from your PS3 (main) to other CELL enabled devices (network) for them to read data and transfer back the results to the main CELL ? How the hell do you code a game with that in mind?

I imagine this would be for online gaming, or something to that affect. Or used for some other function, I doubt you will code a game around this, he isn't *that* stupid.

Kutaragi hasn't revealed much, other than usual "Matrix in real life" and "PSX3 is not a console box, everything will become PSX3" thing.... It shows Kutaragi is indeed more of a dreamer than a computer engineer(which he isn't).

Nothing new here, look away.

Cyborg said:
So let me get this straight, if i understand this engrish PS3 will be capable of

- external scalability, a form of parallelism, sort of what SETI is doing
- downloadable PS3 softwares (games i guess) via the network

Kutaragi is nuts :?

I didn't quite read the article above, but most of it was covered a while ago in the CNET article. The form of parallelism, I feel, is something that probably can't be expected through PS3, but is probably the "long term vision". While I am sure that CELL will be successfully implemented in other Sony products, I see PS3 still just as a starter of things to come. Same for downloading games: as long as the infrastructure isn't there, I can safely assume that it isn't considered to be an option just yet.

The scalable architecture is puzzling though, data transfer from your PS3 (main) to other CELL enabled devices (network) for them to read data and transfer back the results to the main CELL?
All software CELLs(a fancy term for good old class) are supposed to contain the code that manipulates the data structure. CELL cores become the living ponds for fishes dubbed "software CELL". What the CELL OS provides is free migration; when one CELL core reaches 100% utilization, the OS will automatically shift the load to another CELL core available on the network.(This much is an improvement over the PSX2) It is still the developer's responsibility to maintain the construction, initialization, destruction, and data pipes between software CELLs, and this is why software CELLs are so hard to engineer.

How the hell do you code a game with that in mind?
Kutaragi is nuts
Kutaragi believes SCEI could teach average coders to the task.

Re: ...

DeadmeatGA said:
It shows Kutaragi is indeed more of a dreamer than a computer engineer(which he isn't).

Why is it ok for people like Ray Kurzweil or Michio Kaku to speak of the future of computing in this way, but not Kutaragi? (PS: He is an engineer, look it up).

Nothing new here, look away.

Ahh, yes, like we do when you post.

Since a renderfarm of 500 Pentium4s cannot do the Matrix in real time I have a hard time seeing how the PS3 can achieve it. The PS3 needs to be about 3,000 times faster than the Best PC (not the PS2) to achieve real time, and that's not counting the fact that artists use special techniques to speed up offline renders and make lighting look real (light probes in statically lit scenes) , whereas a real time game will have to use more generalized techniques like Radiosity to get good diffuse lighting.

Demo, i dont think he meant "rendering the matrix", but more about the concept of PS3's network. Engrish translation just added more confusion to his comments.

In addition, the said person was repeating and doing the talk of a movie "a matrix" at this time. In a matrix, all human beings exist in the virtual reality which the computer (ed). The technical base which produces the huge virtual computer corresponding to the network for the high virtual reality of a reality is required for ???? (it has a simultaneous advanced simulation world which is parallel, is performed and is connected by network)

I think thats what he meant by the above comment.

DemoCoder said:
Since a renderfarm of 500 Pentium4s cannot do the Matrix in real time I have a hard time seeing how the PS3 can achieve it.

Kind of interesting that the GSCube did an interactive rendition of the opening Trinity scene back in 2000:

SCEI's 16-way GSCube said:
"Eon showed a concept preview of The Matrix. It was from the scene at the beginning of the movie, the hotel ambush. What we got was a city-top view of an animated figure running and jumping across rooftops, but you couldn't distinguish from the actual film. It was in real-time."

But, yes, he was talking about the creation of a broadband network fabric of similar processors.

Translation:

1) PS3 is not just a product but an architecture that will be implemented
in a line of products, form handhelds to supercomputers

2) PS3 software will not be tied to a specific implementation of the architecture (console, handheld) or a delivery media (DVD, Blue-ray).

3) PS3 software will be scalable, performing differently depending on the amount of computing power availeble, either locally or through the network.

4) CELL is designed to treat processing power available on the network the same way as it treats multiple local processors. Once bandwidth becomes available, remote CELLs will be able to operate together as if they were local.

5) CELL is Sony attempt to replace the x86 architecture as a standard ISA

6) IBM will use the CELL architecture in industrial applications to provide computing power on demand

7) In the future, a CELL based internet will allow the exchange of CELL applications (apulets) just like any other kind of data. Think Java without the need of a virtual machine.

8) Eventually, we will interact with other people on the net using some kind of virtual reality interface instead of having several incompatible systems,
(email, instant messaging, voice, webcams etc.)

9) To achieve these goals, Sony needs to solve several problems: network latency, scalability, hardware abstraction. PS3 will work much like the original PS, with SCE providing high-level libraries to abstract the hardware for the applications.

This is what Ken thinks. Whether or not he will be able to accomplish his dream remains to be seen.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh......dreamy dreams........... :oops: :oops: :oops:

I believe when i see it. Until then it is just a bunch of ho-hum talk from a guy, whose technology/ideals, got 0wneD this generation. 8)

- In an interview with CNET, Ken Kutaragi of SCE mentioned that PlayStation 3 will not be a pure game machine, the PS3 technology will be used in many digital devices such as TV and home server, and together they co-operate in a network.
---from the magicbox

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh......dreamy dreams...........

heh somebody has to.

I believe when i see it. Until then it is just a bunch of ho-hum talk from a guy, whose technology/ideals, got 0wneD this generation.

hhmm I don't want to get all pessimesstic on you but we aren't likely to see this sorta thing in our lifetimes.

Back