ZALMAN VF1000 2 Ball VGA Cooler (Help)

Shtal

Veteran
35-118-037-02.jpg

I need advice!
What do you guys think about this cooler, If I use for ATI HD4870 ?? Help

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't use a aftermarket heatsink till it has been tested and designed for the HD4870 in mind. The card needs more cooled than just the memory and core. In the future just link the product, no need to post a picture.

Just make sure you can fit some memory heatsinks and heatsink for the mosfets to.

I need advice!
What do you guys think about this cooler, If I use for ATI HD4870 ?? Help

Have Zalman tested this fan with the 4870, and do they rate is as compatible and with enough performance to cope?

Until that happens, you should have no expectation that this will work properly, or even fit correctly. You could break your card, and you would have no comeback from either the card or heatsink manufacturer.

Powercolor is using an aftermarket solution for their upcoming o/c'd 4870 1GB card, as shown @ Tweaktown. Unfortunately, they claim it is a Zerotherm solution yet I can find no corresponding cooler from them, so it's either a custom design, or one that has yet to be released.

As others have said, be wary of any cooler that has not been tested with the 4870. Also keep in mind the stock 4870 cooler is very capable. With an adjusted fan speed you shouldn't run into thermal limitations, even when overclocked (unless you have horrible case ventilation).

Thanks again everyone!

The reason I was wondering - if you increase RPM on stock FAN it becomes noise, but this Zalman FAN claims to be very quite.

Yes, assuming it works as well as the Accelero S1 (safe bet). It has a higher profile than the stock cooler though (Crossfire on mobos with tightly packed PCIe slots might be a bother) and it throws the heat into the case so you need good airflow.

Also, if you buy it separately instead of with this Force3d card you have to put on ram/VRM sinks ... and some people always manage to get those things not to stick well and fall off, of course some people are incompetent too so your mileage may vary.

Back