Your top five games that deserved more love (underrated)

Nesh

Double Agent
Legend
The Virtua Fighter series. The deepest 3D fighter around. This fighting game is too perfect and deep for its own good commercially speaking.
Wipeout Omega Collection or HD+Fury. This is the perfect futuristic hardcore racing game. Artistically and technically is superb top notch. In terms of gameplay it is the iRacing or Asseto Corsa of futuristic racers. In requires super skill and it has a huge amounts of variety in content and gameplay
Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2. A unique very original very creative experience in all fronts
Silent Hill 1 and 2. These games are recognized as good games but they deserved a lot more. Probably the best of the franchise.
Panzer Dragoon Saga, This game never won the recognition it deserved due to Saturn's small user base and small production. It was a perfect game for its time and it deserves a reboot or a complete remake

^^ What's with these "top 5 games" threads?! XD I lost count...

The original Silent Hill and Panzer Dragoon games had a lot of success. I don't see them as not having received enough love, IMO.
-----------------
Tomb Raider III. Considered a rehash by most, the game still was good AF on its own. It was fun and it included new features within the same formula some people still loved. I still miss these games.
Street Fighter EX series. I've mentioned them quite a bit recently. Highly, highly underrated.
Restaurant Empire. It's existence is unknown to most people I talked with. Highly addictive and rewarding.
Laura Bow: The Dagger of Amun Ra. Wonderful old point and click adventure game.
Now I'm stretching my memory... I'm not sure if games such as Theme Hospital or the original Pirates! received enough praise.

Well I was talking about the RPG game Panzer Dragoon Saga. It was the Saturn's answer to Playstation's Final Fantasy. Unfortunately it never gained the public recognition it desrved. It was one of the finest games ever made in its time and pushed the Sega Saturn to its limits. It has more of a cult following than a widespread recognition of how good it was. Sega printed only 60,000 if I am not mistaken and it was probably the last and biggest project ever released on the Saturn before it eventually died.

Silent Hill and Silent Hill 2 got love, but never gained the same popularity and success as Resident Evil. The reasons I believe these games deserved more is because they had a very unique almost poetic approach to survival horror, especially Silent Hill 2. This unique approach, the closest we got to literature from a horror game, the fact that the game never tried to explain but disturbed you by implying themes and events, it's mind playfulness etc needed more coverage and recognition. It treated horror games as an art form than a mere video game with jump scares.

^I love your stealth edit to your first post, too. :D

By the way, Silent Hill is a saga I have in my backlog. I hop I can get to it soon.

^I love your stealth edit to your first post, too. :D

By the way, Silent Hill is a saga I have in my backlog. I hop I can get to it soon.

But I didnt edit anything in the first post.

The best silent hill games are certainly the first 3. 4 was kinda ok. Afterwards a western team took hold of the franchise, they tried to make it like the movies (even the effects and art direction abandoned the splending japanese style and look exactly like the movies), they westernized it and destroyed what Team Silent had IMO

Silent Hill and Silent Hill 2 got love, but never gained the same popularity and success as Resident Evil. The reasons I believe these games deserved more is because they had a very unique almost poetic approach to survival horror, especially Silent Hill 2. This unique approach, the closest we got to literature from a horror game, the fact that the game never tried to explain but disturbed you by implying themes and events, it's mind playfulness etc needed more coverage and recognition. It treated horror games as an art form than a mere video game with jump scares.

It got the critical reception it deserved I'd say. There's a gazillion think pieces floating around the net on SH2 alone. The audience certainly "got it". Obviously it was never gonna be able to compete with something like Resident Evil - a game which, at least on paper, sounded much more approachable and mainstream (even though it was anything but in terms of gameplay). I think timing also played a large role: Resident Evil rode the PSone's biggest wave of success when it launched in 1996. Silent Hill launched in 1999 when the system was on its way out and everyone had started to pirate the hell out of PSone games. I already owned a Dreamcast back then, and thanks to SH's comparatively dated visuals I never played it initially.

As for all its sequels: I think if there are games which deserved at least a little more love than they got initially, it had to be some of the SH sequels. Once you managed to look past the sheer novelty of having a game like SH in 1999, the whole cultist-mumbo-jumbo plotline was actually pretty fucking disjointed, unneccessary confusing, and at least a wee bit dumb. SH2 was so much more mature than the first game in that regard. It was the Jacob's Letter of the Silent Hill cinematic universe. Also much more mature than the third game for that matter. I also really enjoyed The Room. Probably the scariest of the bunch thanks to the apartment. Also the most annoying one thanks to the ghosts. But hey, you cannot win all the time. Didn't think Homecoming was particularly terrible either. Awful hair helmets though. Downpour was a legitimately good game too. Their biggest problems were how none of them ever dared to step out of SH2's shadow. Essentially they were less subtle repeats of SH2.

Last edited:
I still mourn Silent Hills
And I think the first games got a lot of love, even crappy movies, when they had Jacob's Ladder (Not Letter ^^) as an example on how to do it
I don't mind the western studios doing the later games, Silent Hill is vastly inspired by western horror after all
About topic, I would mention Outcast who brought an unprecedented feeling of adventure

The Virtua Fighter series. The deepest 3D fighter around. This fighting game is too perfect and deep for its own good commercially speaking.
Wipeout Omega Collection or HD+Fury. This is the perfect futuristic hardcore racing game. Artistically and technically is superb top notch. In terms of gameplay it is the iRacing or Asseto Corsa of futuristic racers. In requires super skill and it has a huge amounts of variety in content and gameplay
Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2. A unique very original very creative experience in all fronts
Silent Hill 1 and 2. These games are recognized as good games but they deserved a lot more. Probably the best of the franchise.
Panzer Dragoon Saga, This game never won the recognition it deserved due to Saturn's small user base and small production. It was a perfect game for its time and it deserves a reboot or a complete remake
Are those your 5 best games of all time ? Or only your 5 best underrated games ?

I still mourn Silent Hills
And I think the first games got a lot of love, even crappy movies, when they had Jacob's Ladder (Not Letter ^^) as an example on how to do it
I don't mind the western studios doing the later games, Silent Hill is vastly inspired by western horror after all
I feel that the movies didnt show respect to the series IMO.. Silent Hill has a unique touch plus a mixture of japanese artistry and horror and the good western horror borrowed by the great examples of movies and literature. The original Silent Hill even makes references. Great easter eggs and suggestions everywhere. This is the creativity of Silent Team. The Silent Hill movies and the sequels managed by the western team were more quick cash ins and had a commercialized western approach to horror. Disturbing imagery and gore. Nothing else. The later sequels were literally mimicking the movies which lacked what made the first 3 or 4 games great. Even the effects were taken straight out of the movies. Whereas the original were suggestive, the movies and the later games were "in your face" and excplicit. They mimicked the surface and not the soul. Every SH game made by Team Silent tried to have a different theme and approach thus having their own personality, but the sequels tried to simply mimic the previous games.
About topic, I would mention Outcast who brought an unprecedented feeling of adventure
Yes!!

OK, so the games I think should really deserve more love and their HD remake, remaster, sequel or even basic port :

- Little Nemo (NES). Loved that game: cute graphics, great music, nice story, varied locations and gameplay, great atmosphere. This was much better than for instance Chip'N dale that was boring and with an uninteresting gameplay.
- Pilotwings 64 (Nintendo 64). We spent tens of hours just flying around the map, avoiding buildings and mountains, always searching for the best trajectories...or discovering very odd bugs of collision (japan version)
- Waverace 64 (Nintendo 64). Great racer in the SP, playing with the waves in the training level was endlessly fun.
- Toy commander (Dreamcast). For both the single player and multiplayer. Feeling to be a kid again in the family home. Very original, no other game is like this one (AFAIK). Game itself was varied and hard, and encouraged experimentation, not the hand holding, tutorial ridden games we have nowadays.
- Driveclub (PS4). Never understood the average reviews the game had. Everything (except the online) was great from launch.

there was this game for ps1 that i really loved called One. it had a pretty decent storyline for a shooter, really good graphics and sound. cool game mechanics that rewarded skill.

colorful, lots of explosions, one of the greats.

Back