Your thoughts on non-diamond engagement ring?

Albuquerque

Red-headed step child
Veteran
Of note: non-diamond at at the request of the woman receiving it.

This will be the second time I've tried this engagement bullshit; first one turned into a drinking, smoking "oh I accidentally fell asleep at some other guy's house" type. Ahh, but I digress... New woman = 100x better. Here's the pics of the ring I had made -- bought the sapphire wholesale + 30%, bought the diamonds wholesale, and paid cost for the hand-made setting. Total was about $2900; I know a guy who's GIA-certified who did basically all the work for me.

Links rather than inline pics, because they're 1600x1200...
http://www.schulzjewelry.com/csipwnz/dsc00059.jpg
http://www.schulzjewelry.com/csipwnz/dsc00054.jpg

Forgive the camera quality; it's a six-year old Sony Mavica, and it has the worst macro setting ever :(

Critical specs:
1.62ct VS Oval sapphire ("cornflower" blue, not grey like in the crappy pics)
0.75ctw (38-point each) F/G VS oval diamonds
14kt triple-rhodium-plated white gold (platinum + hand made = outta my current price range)

And no, I haven't asked yet. Thinking next month when all the parents are able to get together...

If I wasn't a man, and therefore super macho, I wouldn't mind wearing it. It is pretty.
I'm a man that wouldn't mind wearing it.
kekekegay.gif

Not that I've actually seen those pics they're dead for me.

Not that I've actually seen those pics they're dead for me.
Yeah, the links are dead to me too.

Ive given up on diamonds. I got my wife a great post-wedding ring, and she loves it. I've told her that I would rather buy just about anything for her other than diamonds.

epic

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks cool, really like the blue :) Though it is a bit to elaborte for my taste, I'm more for the plain designs without thingies sticking out. But dont these types of rings get damaged all the time? My mom has one (yeah im only 20 so mariage is still along way away for me I guess) and she has to take it of all the time when she is doing something around the house.

Thing that sticks out of ring = catches in anything/everything and breaks.

3 things that sticks out of ring = weeell.. Just imagine yourself! :cool:

Anyway. I'd never buy a ring for that much money unless the purpose of giving the ring was merely to show off my own material wealth. You're not trying to buy HER with the ring are you?

It's merely a symbol for your feelings. A means to an end. It's not the end itself..or that's my opinion anyway he he.
Peace.

If she didn't want a diamond, then I'd say that is a beautiful ring. Well done!

Anyway. I'd never buy a ring for that much money unless the purpose of giving the ring was merely to show off my own material wealth. You're not trying to buy HER with the ring are you?
lol, 3 grand isn't a lot for an engagement ring by any stretch. In fact, since that is a sapphire instead of a diamond, he got a bang-up fine looking ring for that price.

Yeah, three grand really wasn't a big deal IMO. The crappy (inaccurate, overhyped) addage of "three months salary" can kiss my ass... This is less than a months' net wages, and it's good looking IMO.

Glad to see folks not uber-bitter about the lacking diamond. It's my opinion (and that of my soon to be fiance) that they're overpriced and overhyped right now. The only reason she got the side-diamonds is because I got them at wholesale.

As for it sticking out? Not really, at least no more than any other three-stone ring you'd find elsewhere. Womens bands and settings almost always stick out at least partially; this really is no different. Besides, it's well insured :D

Glad to see folks not uber-bitter about the lacking diamond. It's my opinion (and that of my soon to be fiance) that they're overpriced and overhyped right now.
Rule #1 - get her what she wants! If she didn't want a diamond, then screw what everyone else thinks. :) I tend to like sapphires myself, but wouldn't have thought of using one in a non-traditional engagement ring.

Upside (for your wife) is that if you two ever split she can swap it to the right hand and everyone will just think it is a beautiful ring. :D

Well.. If you people consider blowing 3k on a thing which serves no useful purpose nothing to be concerned about then more power to you I guess.

Personally I feel maybe there are better uses fo rthat much money than just spending it on something that can't be used for anything other than showing off.

Peace.

Well.. If you people consider blowing 3k on a thing which serves no useful purpose nothing to be concerned about then more power to you I guess.
If you honestly believe it serves no purpose, then I submit that you are either (1) gay (2) unmarried or (3) have found a non-typical wife.

You buy way to much into what women say...

Actually I do believe women believe what they say. Only the catch is in the twisted logic. They want a man who wants to show them how much he loves them. So to do this we bend over backwards finding the most perfect (ie. expensive) diamond, or in this case other, ring that we think they are deserving of.

Of course in my opinion an expensive ring can actually be something of a cop-out when it comes to romance. Like I said a woman just wants to be made to feel special and loved, and "the perfect ring" is just one way of doing that.

Now with that said, the original poster obviously went to some great lengths to pick out and put together a beautiful ring which I'm sure his lady will think is fantastic.

I'm still somehow not seeing how I spent some exhorbidant amount on this thing?

Sure, I don't lay down three thousand dollars on daily purchases... Still, I have probably six thousand tied up in PC's and parts in my "guy room" upstairs. I have at least that much in my home entertainment system. Hell, just the engine rebuild in my "play car" cost more than this did, and I did all the work on it (except the machining, which I don't have equipment for) myself. God help me if I tally up all the other work (dollar-wise) in that car...

I put down 20% on my house, I have all my cars paid for, all my credit cards paid for, I have only a single student loan, the mortgage, and the monthly utilities and food as cost outlay per month. The cash I spent on this ring, in the grand scheme of things, is pretty insignificant. Given the finances I have to bear, I could've payed five times this amount in cash if I had really wanted.

But I really didn't want to. This is a nice ring IMO, and it's something I'm sure she'll love. And no, not because of it's monetary value -- if she wanted me for my money, then she went in the wrong direction asking me NOT to get a diamond engagement ring, did she not?

There are one or two really bitter people on this forum; glad most of the rest of you liked it though.

It's silly of you to assume that merely because you're hearing a dissenting opinion it has to be about bitterness.

Considering the sum which you consider insignificant is around 5-10 times the amount of money the majority of people on this planet has to live on for an entire year puts things into a somewhat different perspective perhaps.

Fact is you did put out a fair chunk of change on what is in all fairness a rather frivolous item. That you can (easily) afford it doesn't change that basic assessment.

Now.. Did you post about your ring purchase to be cheered, admired and patted on the back orwas it so that people can comment and give you their true opinions? :cool:

Peace.

i got married years ago, my ring was a beer can one, i know what youre thinking but this was a special can, a 1 liter DAB can (so quite expensive ~1.50DM).
the thing is she lost it sometime later

Back