Your take on "Press start" to start game screen

Welshieinnz

Newcomer
Hi all,

Just a quick question. What's your take on the "Press start" screen that appears on most games before the game starts. So, you press start and then you get access to the main menu.

Personally, I can't stand them, but hey...that's me.

If I recall correctly there was a top ten list of things developers should get rid of recently from Business Week.
They mentioned this Start screen, how unintuitive it is for the casual gamer, and suggested people change it to "Press Any Button". Which would mean less confusion and hunting for a mysterious 'start' button.

Which seems good to me :]

I like that! As a Simpson game where one doesn't have high hopes, it seems to be some stuff pretty right.

Everything that has an end has a beginning. ;) I am just so used to it I would miss it :cry: It is nice part of presentation of a game as well.

Probably a relic of arcade games like Street Fighter II where you put your money in and so does your friend and then you press "Start" to begin the game to ensure you are both ready.

At a guess.... it must have some historic reason for it.

Believe it or not, I've actually seen focus groups when we used wording like that and some people can't find the "any" key.

:rolleyes:

True story from the helpdesk guys here at work:

"it says press any key to continue. My keyboard doesn't have it!"

Called the helpdesk in fear that hitting anything but the "any" key might break her machine.

My favorite is always "can you download the internet onto my machine?"

Probably a relic of arcade games like Street Fighter II where you put your money in and so does your friend and then you press "Start" to begin the game to ensure you are both ready.

At a guess.... it must have some historic reason for it.
Or superstitious.

I'd like to see the "Game Saved" prompt go away. All I can do is press a button to acknowledge that, indeed, my game has saved. I have no other options...so what's the point?

Kazunori apparently had been experimenting a little with motion control and thought that one of the things he liked best was to have the menu come up when you pick up the controller. I thought that was quite clever ... :D

Nice idea, but as I start my console with the controller in hand, I'd never get to experience it. If it had auto-pause when you put the controller down with auto-resume, that'd be cool, but off topic!

Back