Your next monitor should be

Rose tinted glasses ... they weren't sharp and sucked for reading. The corners were worse and colours suffered greatly.

What ever happened to that tech that was a flatscreen made up of basically a mini-CRT per pixel?

Finally got rid of our last 19" CRT we've had sitting around for years a couple of weeks ago.

What ever happened to that tech that was a flatscreen made up of basically a mini-CRT per pixel?

Finally got rid of our last 19" CRT we've had sitting around for years a couple of weeks ago.
Cost and patent issues AFAIK.

Canon and Toshiba had been caught off guard by fast growth and subsequent price competition in the flat-panel TV market. As companies rushed to grab market share they cut prices and that made it difficult for SED to compete.

As SED worked on bringing down costs it was hit with another problem.

Ownership of the venture was split with Canon holding the slightly larger share of 50 percent plus one share. In Canon's eyes that made it a subsidiary, but Nano Proprietary, a Texas-based company, disagreed. Nano Proprietary had licensed some of the technology used in SED to Canon and its subsidiaries, but hit the joint venture with a lawsuit arguing that Toshiba retained decision-making powers and so SED wasn't a true subsidiary.

Toshiba quickly sold its stake in the company to Canon and the lawsuit was eventually settled, but SED's commercial chances had been hit again.
https://www.goodgearguide.com.au/article/357585/canon_signals_end_road_sed_tv_dreams/

TBH I don't miss CRT at all.

I had a pretty decent CRT monitor, 19" Iiyama I think, which cost me a fortune at the time. I spent forever faffing with the controls, linearity, even went in to the engineering menu to make additional tweaks. It was good, and better than most, but nowhere close to my current LCD.

Granted cheap modern LCDs look like arse, but then so did cheap CRTs. Unfortunately when it comes to displays there's not really a good substitute for spending more money.

AND I HAVE SO MUCH DESK SPACE NOW!

CRT had some advantages, but god they had some limitations. Good luck adjusting the display output, but on a basic level the amount of space they take up and the amount of heat they produce.

There are very good professional 4K monitors with PVA/MVA panels, which have excellent sRGB colors - but somewhat lacking in Rec.2020 colors gamut and peak brightness.
I have a BenQ PD3200U at work and it's absolutely stunning, even though it only has sRGB - which made me believe that good factory calibration is much more important than inflated 'gamut' and 'contrast' numbers.

The newer DisplayHDR certified monitors should be above average in this regard, though still not up to high-end QLED and OLED televisions.

But surely most of these so-called 'gaming' monitors, especially those with cheap low-quality TN+film LCD panels, have very mediocre color quality, well below the boundaries of sRGB gamut, quite awful viewing angles, and introduce very large color uniformity errors, so they are far worse than good CRT displays of the past. Avoid these at all costs, no matter how many stupid 'Hz' or 'dynamic contrast' or whatever they advertise.

The problem with CRT monitors is they cannot display anything higher than 1280x1024 pixels with a decent quality, even on very big and rare 19-21" professional models that weight quite a lot, and their peak brightness and contrast ratio is also not very good by today's standards. Not to mention they stopped making them about 20 years ago, so by now you can only find very old and used CRT displays.

Last edited:
Understandably, CRTs were way out of their niche as a commodity, and if we were to single out the venerable TN because non-uniformity, IPS contrast non-uniformity vs. viewing angles should be mentioned - commonly referred to as glow, or emissive displays next to unsolvable per pixel near black non-uniformity. Actually the TN issue is sort of solved by Sharp: https://patents.google.com/patent/US20170003545
My "3ms" IPS panel has disconcerting inversion issue, and next to unusable in dark setting because of glow, altogether I'm not sure LCOS type perfomance is coming to flat panels.

Aren't most problems solved by OLED?
(except cost perhaps)

When you consider the cost of implementing a backlight that can attempt to get close to the blacks of OLED, then cost is favorable for OLED. If per pixel blacks aren't desired and a person can live with LCD backlight bleed and halos, then cost starts to shift the other direction.

In other words, the cost of the panel itself is certainly cheaper for LCD. The cost multiplier comes in how advanced you want the backlight to be. Since OLED is an emissive tech, there is no need for a backlight.

This also means color uniformity is far better for OLED, especially at comparable costs as there is no need to deal with diffusers in an attempt to get a few backlight zones to light the panel as uniformly as possible.

Regards,
SB

Mura is a Japanese word that means unevenness, irregularity, or blemish. In the display industry, this word has been adopted as the name for irregularities and “clouding” effects seen on LCD—and more recently OLED—screens. Also referred to as a luminance non-uniformity, mura’s effects on a display screen detract from the user’s viewing experience and can impede display performance or functionality.
https://www.radiantvisionsystems.com/blog/mura-mura-wall
Current LCD backlight can be partitioned into wide horizontal single pixel "tall" lines, doesn't seem too expensive thing to do, and blank lines can be turned off completely. Seems just the thing for mini/ micro LEDs , and better than a 2160 zone "full array" . With 6x less luminance transmitted vertically, its 6x brighter HDR.

https://www.radiantvisionsystems.com/blog/mura-mura-wall
Current LCD backlight can be partitioned into wide horizontal single pixel "tall" lines, doesn't seem too expensive thing to do, and blank lines can be turned off completely. Seems just the thing for mini/ micro LEDs , and better than a 2160 zone "full array" . With 6x less luminance transmitted vertically, its 6x brighter HDR.

Well, that way you minimize horizontal bleed, but do nothing for the vertical one. Any bright object over a dark bg would have a full column of lighter color above and bellow it. Kind of like a 90° tilted J.J. Abrams Lens Flare.

Back