Your favorite games 2006-2010

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Cheezdoodles, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Cheezdoodles

Veteran

So i bought a new laptop, to my suprise it runs Crysis well on medium\high @ 720p. With this in mind, i figure i can run anything older than crysis very well.

Specs: ATI HD 5650 1 Gig dedicated. Intel i5-M450, 4 gigs of ram

I havent really played pc games other than FM the last year, so ive been wondering what im missing.
    So what are your favorite games the few latest years?

EDIT: NOTE THAT I HAVE A PS3\X360 so multiplatform stuff i have played

#1 Cheezdoodles, Sep 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2010
  2. joker454

Veteran

Elder Scrolls 4, Fallout 3, Bioshock, Crysis, Stalker, Torchlight, Titan Quest all come to mind. I've heard lots of good comments about The Witcher as well although that one didn't grab me, but I might be trying it again.

3. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Overlord and expansion. That one immediately sticks out as one of the best games of that period. Avoid Overlord 2 at all costs however, that one sucked arse.

For RPGs, Dragon Age Origins was by far the best release in that timeframe, IMO.

Kings Bounty series is a wonderful hidden gem of an RPG/Strategy mix. RPG with Heroes of Might and Magic style combat.

Fantasy Wars was a great Turn based strategy game. Another one that's a bit of a hidden gem since Turn based strategy (other than Civ) isn't something that catches the publics eye.

Can't immediately think of others that I thought were exceptional. Some are on joker454's list (Bioshock and Torchlight) but some I disagree with (Fallout 3 sucked eggs, IMO, but great graphics and atmosphere).

Regards,
    SB

4. Albuquerque

Albuquerque Red-headed step child
    Veteran

I've got a Lenovo Y460 with the ATI 5650 1Gb, i5-520m, 8Gb of ram and an OCZ Vertex 2 Extended 120Gb SSD. I used MSI Afterburner to crank up the clocks from 550/800 to 750/950, and I have been enjoying a BUNCH of games over steam.

Stuff that should work really well on your 5650 (ie, stuff I've been playing)
    Oblivion (max details + 2xSSAA via CCC)
    Fallout 3 (max details + 8xAF in-game + 2xSSAA via CCC)
    Mafia II (high for everything except medium shadows, 8xAF and 2x AA in-game, no Apex physics)
    HL2 and all the games therein (max details + 8xAF in-game + 2xSSAA via CCC)
    Just Cause 2 (high for everything except medium shadows + no high detail shadows, 2xAA / 8xAF in-game)
    Crysis and Warhead obviously you've figured out :)

5. IRQ Conflict

TES IV (aka Oblivion), DAO, The Witcher, Mass Effect one and two, Call of Juarez and it's prequel "Bound in Blood", Sins of a Solar Empire, Unreal Tournament 3, Prey, Star Craft 2, Bioshock (the first one), Crysis Warhead and many others worth your hard drive space. All flawed to a degree but worthy imho.

6. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

My top games would be:

Dark Messiah, STALKER series, Crysis games, Mirror's Edge, UT3, Penumbra Black Plague
    Oblivion, Mass Effect
    Red Faction Guerrilla
    Test Drive Unlimited, DIRT 1/2
    World in Conflict, Sins of a Solar Empire, Defense Grid, SupCom FA

7. Cheezdoodles

Veteran

Isn't it dangerous to overclock laptops?

8. bitwise xor

Newcomer

Some of the ones I really enjoyed off the top of my head (hopefully I avoided multiplat stuff).

The Witcher was fantastic, personally my favourite RPG since vampire bloodlines.
    Drakensang is a Baldurs Gate/DA style game worth looking at (less 'cinematic' and more light hearted which I found I prefered. I found DA to be pretty uptight)
    Stalker: Call of Pripyat, some fine exploration.
    Kings Bounty.
    StarCraft II, of course.
    Company of Hereos

Indies:

Zenoclash, really fun first person basher with a great world/art direction.
    Amnesia and Penumbra from Frictional games, first person horror.
    Aquaria was lovely.
    Spelunky was addictive.
    Dwarf Fortress you'll lose patients with, but its worth playing for half an hour just to say you have.

Halflife 2 Mods:
    Dear Esther was interesting, though being remade by a professional level designer and so probably not worth playing yet.
    Research and Development was a really good puzzle based mod.

Adventures:

Machinarium.
    Culpa Innata is worth the art/graphics that make you want to poke your eyes out.
    Dreamfall, the sequel to the longest journey was good too.
    I enjoyed Telltales new Monkey Island series, and their Puzzle Agent pilot.
    The Whispered world has some great hand drawn/animated stuff.
    Overclocked; A history of violence did some nice things with narrative.
    Emerald City Confidential from Wadjet eye games was surprisingly good.

Shortform:

You Must Burn The Rope.
    Inside A Dead Skyskrapper "A music video game for the song "The building" by Jesse Stiles"
    Every day the same dream.
    Plenty more I'm sure, I can never remember what I've played :(

#8 bitwise xor, Sep 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2010
  9. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

In no order:

Crysis + Warhead
    Oblivion with Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul
    Drakensang
    The Witcher
    Battlefield Bad Company 2
    Dragon Age
    DiRT (DiRT 2 was not as good though I still enjoyed it)
    Team Fortress 2
    Heavy Rain
    X3:Reunion (now X3: Terran Conflict)
    Mass Effect (ME2 was disappointing)
    Assassin's Creed (Haven't played AC2 yet)

Oh I could keep going but this is enough.

10. nbohr1more

Newcomer

I don't know if you want to count Mods but The Dark Mod for Doom 3 is my personal favorite. Technically it was released in October 2009

#10 nbohr1more, Sep 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2010
  11. Albuquerque

Veteran

It's as "dangerous" as it would be on a desktop; you're fighting the same issues: power, heat, stability. A laptop isn't going to spontaneously combust if you overclock it, and there are several models out there (Alienware, Clevo, Asus) that build overclocking for CPU and GPU straight into their hardware.

Oh, and of course, I wouldn't suggest overclocking on battery as it's a losing battle :) I only play these sorts of games when I've got a power jack nearby, which means I'm only overclocking when plugged in.

12. N_B

N_B
    Regular

I've been wary of overclocking my 5650 (stock 550/750). Does it void the warranty? I only got it a few months ago and don't feel like risking it :X

Besides I'm mainly cpu limited (i3-330m) so it wouldn't be a huge boost in most games I play (Source games, Gamebryo).

13. Davros

Legend

yes...

14. Plano

Newcomer

I don't play that much (< 10 new games during that period), but here is my list:

Risen
    Supreme Commander (+FA)
    Gothic 3

All of those should be also playable with your system. Sup Com might need a bit faster CPU but you should be fine with smaller battles.

#14 Plano, Sep 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2010
  15. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

A 5650 is clocked rather low compared to 5670 so you may be able to get quite a nice boost. Are there risks? Of course. But I personally wouldn't be able to resist downloading AMD GPU Clock Tool and seeing what that card could do. ;)

Actually you should be able to access ATI Overdrive right in the control panel, but it's rather conservative to say the least.

16. Albuquerque

Veteran

More to this point -- the ASIC for the ATI 5730 mobility and the ATI 5650 mobility are the same, meaning that they sell this same chip at 650mhz clocks (and the ram at 900mhz) and call it something different.

With the ~30% increase of clocks that mine can pull off without issue, it completely makes 2xSSAA playable in the Bethusda games. That is more than enough convincing for me :)

17. joker454

Veteran

Gonna add Dragon Age to my list. Just started playing it, damn it's addictive! I heard the console version looked weak, but the pc version looks and plays nice. Only complaint is the ui, they don't resize it for the resolution which makes it a bit hard to read at 1920x1080 since I play on my tv :( At 720p the ui is large enough though. At that res it should also be playable on many laptops.

18. Vadi

Regular

I overclocked my 5750 to 840MHz without issue too (and the RAM to 1310MHz). To still get lower idle RAM speeds I flashed its BIOS with the clocks. And I changed the minimum fan speed in the BIOS. Unfortunately I still need MSI Afterburner to force a better fan speed curve because of Catalyst.

19. green.pixel

Veteran

Pick up Deus Ex and Vampire: Bloodlines if you haven't played them. ;)

Fortress Forever for MP.