Your favorite game music/sounds?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Jimmers, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Diplo

Veteran

Favourite intro music:

Main them from 'Final Fantasy VII'

The Doom theme used on the PSX version of 'Doom' (and later adapted for the N64). NB. This is nothing like the original PC version.

'Tomb Raider' theme, as appeared on first 2 or 3 games. Beautiful piece of music.

2. Doomtrooper

Veteran

Diablo 1 and 2.

3. CouldntResist

Regular

Unreal
    Planescape Torment
    The Ward

...and The Last Ninja series from C64 :grin:

(edit - how could I have forgotten?!?!)
    Shadow Of The Beast series from Amiga.

#43 CouldntResist, Jun 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2006
  4. StefanS

StefanS meandering Velosoph
    Veteran

I loved that tune, I am feeling totally nostalgic :razz:

5. Sandwich

Regular

Dune 1.
    Hell, it sound great at the time even through the OPL3.
    I have the mp3s from the CD version, even better.

6. Jimmers

Newcomer

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the godforsaken DDR, and most notably this song.

7. CouldntResist

Regular

#47 CouldntResist, Jun 14, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2006
    StefanS likes this.
  8. soylent

Newcomer

While you're at it listening to some nice C64 tunes; try some remixes from fan sites(e.g. remix64).

Comic bakery, rambo, delta, great giana sisters, ocean loader, last ninja, bombo , and assload of demo music and so on still manage to beat 99% of the music out there with that harsh 3 channel synthesizer.

Honorable mention: WoW, for somehow not grating your nerves even if it's the 1305th loop through the same few songs.

#48 soylent, Jun 15, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2006
  9. StefanS

StefanS meandering Velosoph
    Veteran

10. linthat22

Regular

favorite music in a game for me would be the Ultima series and Wing Commander

11. PenguinJim

Newcomer

I really liked the music in Ascendancy, but I'm having a bastard of a time exporting/extracting it to mp3. Any help? :D

Does anyone remember the awesome soundtrack in Motorhead, too? Done inhouse at Gremlin Interactive ten years ago, and I could swear I've started hearing one of the tracks in nightclubs in the past few months...

12. deviantchild

Regular

Your post made me check this game out.
    I cranked up the graphics to the max in the demo and it was flawless. The only thing I had to do to get it going was set the installer exe to Win95 compat mode.
    What a fantastic arcadey racer! I love Ultim@te Race and others too, but somehow I'd missed this one.
    I was wondering if the soundtrack was actually 'inhouse', as I have the original Gremlin release of HardWar and for that they used a Warp Records soundtrack. Don't know how much bearing that has though, as HardWar was made by a different developer.

#52 deviantchild, Jun 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2006
  13. PenguinJim

Newcomer

I remember reading a review about the game (weird how my memory sometimes stores this), and it DEFINITELY said about the soundtrack, "developed inhouse by Gremlin". Or maybe "at". OK, not the most definitive answer :D but I think it was PC Format in the UK. They definitely said it at the time, but I've not yet had the need to back it up. And yeah, Hardwar was worlds away (ho ho ho). :)

14. poopypoo

Veteran

I '76. hands down!!!

i do really miss those chiptunes though. I LOVED return of the jedi for atari 2600... weeeird ass electro noises for ship combat and hyperspace sounds. a really short game but that hyperspace and deathstar sounds are permanently ingrained in my brain. and... zelda... gyruss (chiptune bach toccata & fugue in d minor anyone?) ...the list could really go on. the sound of that raw electro is so clean and minimal, it seems hard to have screwed up back in those days ;)

finally, to be obvious... GTA:SA. too fucking great, but it seems too high-budget for me to compare it to these other triumphs.

15. mcsven

Newcomer

The only music I can actually remember from a game, and still hum every now and again, was that from the Way of the Exploding Fist, which I used to play on a BBC Micro. Genius.

16. Onkl Bjorni

Newcomer

For me it has to be the music from the original Homeworld.. Talk about setting the mood! (If i'm not mistaken it's Barber's Adagio for Strings!)

Oh.. and Dune 1 music is cool to... (spice opera)

17. N00b

Regular

Having just read the postmorten on gamasutra, I think Fahrenheit / Indigo Prophecy has the best original soundtrack I ever encountered in a game.

18. daction

Newcomer

My favorite game music has to be from Mafia, from the intro movie to the various 30's tracks that play throughout the game map, I just LOVED it. The sound in general in that game rocks.

I also like the music from HL2 and Episode 1, it just seems very original.

19. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

I miss the big mod authors of the '90s. Most of the Epic Megagames games had sweet music. Origin's Crusader series, and UT/Unreal. Maybe Deus Ex as well.

I also think TIE Fighter's interactive MIDI soundtrack was way ahead of its time and very impressive.

I agree Ascendancy had good music, along with Master of Orion 2.

I also think Jeremy Soule is one of the finest composers of game music today and is proving to be a master of providing ambient soundtracks. His music defines most of the feel of KOTOR, Oblivion, and Morrowind, IMO. I can't wait to hear his work for Supreme Commander.