Young women dominate UK net scene

pascal

Veteran
The girls are coming: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6662469.stm
Young women are now the most dominant group online in the UK, according to new research from net measurement firm Nielsen/NetRatings.
Women in the 18 - 34 age group account for 18% of all online Britons.

They also spend the most time online - accounting for 27% more of the total UK computer time than their male counterparts.
They will invade B3D.

Well, I would agree that the majority of girls is addicted to MSN.

True :p

But I find grave inaccuracies with this article. Let me explain my thoughts:

They also spend the most time online - accounting for 27% more of the total UK computer time than their male counterparts.

This is normal, because hey, men have a life, and overall there are quite a bit more working men then women :p :devilish:

Of UK males active online, the 50+ age group is the most prevalent.

why, count these:

1) These 50+ aged men may be masquerading as women
2) 23-year old men may be masquerading as 50+
3) 50+ year olds, many may be retired and hence would naturally have MORE time to be on the PC. Again this only proves that more men work then women...

The breakthrough of these groups will come as a surprise to many who regard the internet as being largely dominated by young men.

The majority is not the one that dominates, not always. And I'll leave it at that.

Women in the 18- 34 category are visiting a variety of sites including those dedicated to fashion, family and lifestyle issues.

When there are no soaps on TV, and you're bored....what the hell else would you do? Roam around tech sites? No, you'd go about and see the closes thing to a soap on the net...

A recent report by Forrester Research found that, in the US, spending on clothes and accessories had outstripped the sale of computer equipment for the first time in 2006.

1) Are ppl saying men don't buy clothes?
2) Are they saying women don't purchase computer equipment?

I don't see how this statement makes sense at all in relation to the article.

Even in the traditionally male-dominated world of gaming, women are catching up, according to figures from the Entertainment Software Association.
They now account for 38% of game players. Women over 18 represent a significantly greater portion of game players compared to boys under 17.

Not counting the facts that girls achieve mental, emotional and physical maturity before boys do, how the HELL can they compare 100% ADULT girls to young BOYS who sit at home? Sure, boys not working have more time to spend at home, but this is not a fair comparison unless of course they are suggesting that adult women are not any better than young boys.

The facts are very simple: Women players are growing because the population and number of housewives are growing. This is nothing to make news out of, and this is not an issue per se (because its no problem at all to have women do the same things we do), but the way it is being taken out of context by the media as some "great rise of women" is starting to PISS me off...

I don't doubt it, but then girls are usually attracted to rather different online activities than guys such as ourselves.

Back