You people didn't believe me: Record meteorite hits Norway

K.I.L.E.R

Retarded moron
Veteran
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article1346411.ece

My fears are founded.
This thing is like a nuclear bomb dropped on Hiroshima.
See, I was right. The world can end anytime now thanks to black holes, meteors, comets, supernovae, gamma rays and billions of other things out in space that can go wrong.

Our planet is in danger, and we are unprotected from the dangers above.
Some anime I've seen deal with this by putting space rings around the Earth or by having spaceships blast those things with lasers.

Why aren't we concentrating on doing this?

K.I.L.E.R said:
Some anime I've seen deal with this by putting space rings around the Earth or by having spaceships blast those things with lasers

Indeed, the only rational, economically realistic response to such imminent threats is to find the sunken remains of the Yamato and refit it with in-space propulsion and energy weapons...

Is there a better idea?
Realistically we aren't allowed to use nuclear weapons in space because of radioactive fallout so we have no choice but to stick large laser weapons systems out into space.

K.I.L.E.R said:

Because there is little to no point in it right now. Its not like we'll be in the position to protect our selves from this. Hell, we cant even take care of a bacteria on this planet yet you want us to go make black holes go "boom?"

K.I.L.E.R said:
Is there a better idea?
Realistically we aren't allowed to use nuclear weapons in space because of radioactive fallout

Why would we have issues with radioactive fallout in space?

"Fallout" is material caught up in the mushroom cloud (like dust) that becomes radioactive and travels a long way before falling out of the air. Not so much of that in space.

Here's a solution:

Move.

Big meteors can be tracked months and years in advance. More then enough time to evacuate get out the way. If it's one of those cataclysmic end of the world type meteors, then just build a dome or underground city, and you're good. Such things can be accomplished if the end of the world was potentially at hand.

Well, I'm talking about 1km plus meteors. The kind that wipe out cities. Without the radiation, which meteor impacts don't have, Hiroshima wouldn't have been nearly as serious.

K.I.L.E.R said:
Why wasn't this meteor predicted?

Ahh, but IT WAS!!!
Nostradamus said:
Century 1, Quatraine 1,

Being seated at night in secret study

Meditating alone upon the brass tripod:

A minute flame comes forth from the solitude

Making successful that which should not be believed in vain.

Being seated at night in secret study
This is obviously a reference to Kruno himself...

Meditating alone upon the brass tripod:
Clearly an allusion to the astronomers required to scan the skies...

A minute flame comes forth from the solitude
The Norwegian meteorite....

Making successful that which should not be believed in vain.
Our foolishness of indifference let Kruno's warnings not be beleived in vain, thus making successful the meterote's impact.

Which of you naysayers would presume now to doubt this self evident truth...

After you. If you don't like the topic then don't come into the thread. If you don't like the poster then put him/her on your ignore list.
Simple.

Guden Oden said:
Oh, shut up...

K.I.L.E.R said:

Why should we waste our money doing that? What's the problem anyway?

Ask yourself this: the Earth has been around for ~4.6 billion years now, how many times has it been disintegrated by an impact? Answer: once. What's the chance of it happening twice FFS?

nutball said:

Ask yourself this: the Earth has been around for ~4.6 billion years now, how many times has it been disintegrated by an impact? Answer: once. What's the chance of it happening twice FFS?
What are the odds of getting hit by lightning twice ;)

240x320.jpg

K.I.L.E.R said:
Is there a better idea?
Realistically we aren't allowed to use nuclear weapons in space because of radioactive fallout so we have no choice but to stick large laser weapons systems out into space.

if there's really a dangerous asteroid coming down I think we can make an exception to the rule, which patly but not only about fallout I think (space launches do go wrong, somethings in orbit do fall back when you don't make correction thruts anymore, and people in general were uneasy about the idea of dozens nukes above their head)

if there's a Paris destroying or dinosaurs wiping big rock coming I think there is an easy solution : revive the Orion project, which was about building a spaceship powered by the regular explosion of mini nukes. little known fact is that we have that almost 50 years old technology that could allow a trip to Mars in two or three weeks, or reaching the nearest star in less than a lifetime.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh, I wish I'd been at home in northern Norway when this happened. I wonder if it was audible where I live.

The fact is that there is a chance.
This scares me, this is why I believe something should be done about this.

nutball said:

Back