You know, I don't think the Halo PC port is badly programmed

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Fox5, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Fox5

Veteran

I believe my radeon 9700 pro is roughly 4x as powerful as the xbox's chip, and at 1280x960(4x the res) I can get around 30 fps in the time demo.
    My cpu is a 2600+, which is maybe around 2x more powerful than the xbox cpu's after you take into account that the xbox can have optimizations for one cpu and doesn't have to run windows, and I get around 60 fps at 640x480 in the timedemo.
    So that seems about right.
    I think the game just makes poor utilization of resources. The xbox's version heavy use of shaders was probably a wise decision, it allowed larger levels since you didn't have high quality textures filling up the memory, and it made for quicker loading times. Unfortunately, those design choices carried over to the PC version where memory isn't a concern, and most PC gamers seem used to minute long load times.

2. Tim Murray

Tim Murray the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
    Veteran

And I can get 36 FPS at 1024x768 with a 5700U in the timedemo. Problem is, in the real game, the framerate is closer to 6 than it is to 36.

3. Fox5

Veteran

My framerate stays around 30 fps at 1280x960, except indoors in a heavy firefight.
    And at 640x480 it is almost always above 60 fps in game.

4. Quitch

Veteran

I have a 256MB Radeon 9800 Pro (or rather, the family computer does). The game is playable (i.e. consistent 30fps) at 1024x768. That's with all the effects on and AA switched off.

For a two year old game that is pathetic. It is, and always will be, a terrible port. A consistent 30fps at 1280x960 is well below what you should expect. I can outscore that on ANY game released around the time of Halo (and even new games) at that resolution, without AA.

Myself, I'm dead sensitive to FPS, and my recent love of AA has made me sensitive to jaggies (and the low res you're forced to play Halo in means they're around in the thousands). Halo is the worst of both worlds, slow and ugly. I can certainly get good frame rates at 1280x960 at some points, but that's no use, because there are others where this resolution brings the game to a crawl.

If you can't play the whole game in it, then it isn't much use. I want to play the game, not the resolution box.

5. Ty

Ty Roberta E. Lee
    Veteran

Re: You know, I don't think the Halo PC port is badly progra

Fox5,

How do you reconcile this statement,

with the following two from your post?

I mean, it seems to me that you ARE making a case for 'bad' programming.

6. Fox5

Veteran

Well, it's not that the PC port is bad, it's just that the game was that way even on the xbox. Now gearbox did have like 2 years to work on it, so maybe you can say they should have done the necessary changes, but it seems like they did about the best they could without actually changing the way the game worked.

7. Quitch

Veteran

But it is bad! Getting a consistent 60+ at 640x480 is nothing to boast about! You should be getting a consistent 200+, maybe more! Even in a game with as many performance issues as X2 I get better scores!

Those are dire scores and should be treated as such. We should simply weep that the X-Box ever came into existence and stole our precious Halo, the revolution that never was.

8. Fox5

Veteran

Well yeah, true, but I still think Gearbox did about as well as they could without recoding the engine and redoing the art assests, though they should have at least added the ability to have user created maps, something that nearly every fps has had.

9. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

Turn off pixel shading via the command line and you will see those framerate numbers. Pixel shading is also why it's so slow indoors while outdoors it's much faster. And that specular setting.

10. vrecan

Regular

But they had 2 YEARS to do this, I am pretty sure thats enough time to make atleast small modifications to the engine and to add high rez versions of their original textures. This game was just ungodly ugly and runs worse then x2 which is a pretty large accomplishment.

Atleast X-2 has a lot of shit going on everywhere and is a extremely small developer what is halo's excuse?

11. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

And of course PC hardware had a couple of years to move on, yet even with the likes of R350, Halo still can get stuttery in fire-fights.

12. Quitch

Veteran

They even failed to port the co-op, and what the hell has that got to do with architecture?

13. cthellis42

cthellis42 Hoopy Frood
    Legend

Hey! It... uh...

Ok, that was just them being retarded.

14. Fox5

Veteran

Well, it was splitscreen on the xbox only, that would mean they would have actually had to program something new into the game!

Though I have seen free ports of games that do more and have less development time...

15. Waltar

Newcomer

I honestly think the geniuses at Gearbox literally took the files off a halo xbox disk, added specular mapping and slept for a year.. This isn't a port, it's an abortion.

16. K.I.L.E.R

K.I.L.E.R Retarded moron
    Veteran

I was playing Halo with my cousin over at Sydney and it ran crap slow on the X-Box. I'm talking 10-20fps at best, at least that's how it felt. :/

At least I got to enjoy the scenery. :lol:

17. epicstruggle

epicstruggle Passenger on Serenity
    Veteran

I was so looking forward to halo before it became an xbox title. They should have done a better job when it got ported.

later,
    epic

18. Dave Glue

Regular

Uh...they are? :?

19. micb

Newcomer

To get the game running acceptably I had to make sure the in game 30 FPS limiter is disabled and set to VSYNC.

Then disable Shadows.

Performance was greatly improved using these settings.

20. Quitch

Veteran

Hardly, after Half-Life people complained if a load was longer than about five seconds.