You don't see this every day...

Graham

Hello :-)
Veteran
Supporter
Near our local bus station... you come across this:

mig.jpg

The story behind it's even weirder.
The story goes that the guy who owns the buildings on that side street got into an argument with the local council.. The council were stubborn, so to spite them, he parked that at the end of his street. Now he's not breaking any laws having it there, and says he'll only remove it once the council change their mind :p :p

Now he's not breaking any laws having it there, and says he'll only remove it once the council change their mind :p :p
If parking a MiG-21 on the sidewalk so that it extends far into the street isn't illegal, I'd day someone has their work cut out for them. Around here, building owners pretty much get fined faster than you can say zoning violation unless they keep the sidewalk free from all obstructions. Placing a fighter jet (or anything that could be a road hazard for that matter) overarching the street would probably land someone a commuted jail sentence.

If parking a MiG-21 on the sidewalk so that it extends far into the street isn't illegal, I'd day someone has their work cut out for them. Around here, building owners pretty much get fined faster than you can say zoning violation unless they keep the sidewalk free from all obstructions. Placing a fighter jet (or anything that could be a road hazard for that matter) overarching the street would probably land someone a commuted jail sentence.

Yes well this is NZ :p

It was probably placed there with a crane. I don't see how anyone could physically land a jet in an area like that without breaking every car window in a 5 block radius.

Out of curiosity, Harriers are capable of rotating their engines and lifting off the ground vertically, is it the same with that model of jet?

Also, if I'm not mistaken, is that a big Commie star on it?

Probably not that much. Its probably just a empty hull with all the expensive stuff taken out. On discovery channel there was this programme about people who build flight sims and one of these guys bough a F18 for like 28.000 bucks.

If parking a MiG-21 on the sidewalk so that it extends far into the street isn't illegal, I'd day someone has their work cut out for them.
Hahaha!
Indeed!

It's sort of blackmailing isn't it being annoying on purpose and saying you won't stop being annoying until you get your way through. Send that terrorist over to Guantanamo! :cool:
Peace.

I'd be afraid that a gust of wind would provide just enough lift for mobility -- not flying, mind you, but a more pedestrian form of locomotion: creeping off the supports. :(

You're talking about flying from the pedestal; I'm talking about being pushed off it -- a seemingly trivial task for the steady crosswinds of kite season. ;)

You don't see this every day...

Yes... and no. Near IMG there is a weird "trout fishing" area which has a collection of bizarre things including planes, torpedoes, tanks, the head and neck of a large dinosaur model, and, apparently, even some fish!!

Back