You don't own a PS3. Why?

You don't own a PS3. Why?

• I'm just not interested in this console.

Votes: 37 44.6%
  • Its too expensive / I'm waiting for a price cut.

Votes: 27 32.5%
  • Coz teh PS3 haz no gamez, lol.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I hate Sony's PRs.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 14.5%

• Total voters

eloic

Veteran
I'm curious about that.

Also post, if you think that you can add something to the chosen option.

Thank you in advance for all your votes and comments.

:)

I actually did buy a PS3 a few months ago, mostly for the sole purpose of playing through Killzone 2 which I had to have, but I ended up selling it this week.

-Dont feel the FPS lineup is strong enough.

-Too expensive.

-Duplication-if you already own one of the next gen boxes, then unless youre awash in cash theres little reason to own the other imo. They mostly duplicate the others functionality and play mostly the same games. If you have one system already, then imo $300-400 would be better spent on some other gadget you want, rather than the other system.

-Didn't like the controller (probably honestly the single biggest factor).

-Didn't like PSN/XMB

-Very large system (though to be fair, it doesnt sport the power brick)

-Short recharging controller cable was honestly by far the biggest annoyance when I owned it. Seemed every time I went to play (I dont play my systems all that much) the controller would need a charge, and I'd have to plug in what seemed like about a 2.5 ft recharging cable, which meant I would have to sit on the ground very uncomfortably right in front of the TV rather than back on the couch. It's not something I've seen complained about, but Sony really needs to fix that. Because they should have an edge in the fact you dont have to mess with recharge kits and all that crap. Anyways, about a 9 foot recharge cable would be a huge plus.

For me PS3 may be a good buy again once it hits a "disposable" type price point of 149 or 199, and the PS3 slim will be nice. Then again, thinking just now, it seems likely next gen systems might be hitting by the time it gets to those price points. Anyway, even the 299 slim will be a huge move in the right direction.

I actually did buy a PS3 a few months ago, mostly for the sole purpose of playing through Killzone 2 which I had to have, but I ended up selling it this week.

-Dont feel the FPS lineup is strong enough.

-Too expensive.

-Duplication-if you already own one of the next gen boxes, then unless youre awash in cash theres little reason to own the other imo. They mostly duplicate the others functionality and play mostly the same games. If you have one system already, then imo $300-400 would be better spent on some other gadget you want, rather than the other system.

-Didn't like the controller (probably honestly the single biggest factor).

-Didn't like PSN/XMB

-Very large system (though to be fair, it doesnt sport the power brick)

-Short recharging controller cable was honestly by far the biggest annoyance when I owned it. Seemed every time I went to play (I dont play my systems all that much) the controller would need a charge, and I'd have to plug in what seemed like about a 2.5 ft recharging cable, which meant I would have to sit on the ground very uncomfortably right in front of the TV rather than back on the couch. It's not something I've seen complained about, but Sony really needs to fix that. Because they should have an edge in the fact you dont have to mess with recharge kits and all that crap. Anyways, about a 9 foot recharge cable would be a huge plus.

For me PS3 may be a good buy again once it hits a "disposable" type price point of 149 or 199, and the PS3 slim will be nice. Then again, thinking just now, it seems likely next gen systems might be hitting by the time it gets to those price points. Anyway, even the 299 slim will be a huge move in the right direction.

You sound kind of impatient, in my humble opinion. ;)

There's more than just KZ2 for the PS3. About controller issues... I think this is a matter of getting used to something. I mean, I never had the colossal problems adapting myself to new controllers as others seem to have.

About duplication, I totally agree.

I have a couple friends with ps3 so I have had the opportunity to play mgs4, uncharted, resistance 1/2 and killzone 2.

For the most part, the ps3 is used in their systems as bluray players and ps2 games. Mostly due to many other friends having xb360, so to play them we use xb360 w/ live.

I'm not in a particular rush for blu-ray capabilities as I don't really watch a lot of movies; the longer I defer filling out my library with the movies I do want... the better. There's also the fact that certain trilogies have yet to make a BD appearance, so I'll wait for the smaller form factor at the very least.

Otherwise, I'm not interested enough in the exclusives. I've had bad experiences with thumb cramping in the past, but oh well... there's not much I can do aboot that, though it shouldn't be an issue for my purposes.

As others, I have some a couple friends with a PS3 so that's enough to let me experience the exclusives for that. Other than that, most games are multiplat available also on either PC or X360.

When the PS3 hits 149 USD or possibly 199 USD, I may pick one up. But right now I don't need the Blueray playback and the price is way too high to pick one up just to play the PS3 exclusives in my own home.

Hell, it took me almost a year before I could convince myself that 249 USD was worth picking up a Wii as a second console. And then it was mostly so I could get Wii Fit. Side benefit being it gives my nephews and neices something to do when they visit.

Regards,
SB

Used to have an 80GB BC model, sold it after about 9 months due to financial hardship. Will purchase again when the price drops to $299 or less.

I think those who don't own all three simply aren't that into videogames.

I really don't think there's much more to it than that. I'm a gamer, I enjoy games from all walks, be it platformers, shooters, open world games, puzzle games, etc. I play everything. There are fewer reasons for me to NOT own all 3.

I read someone say there weren't enough first person shooters, but to me that just says you aren't interested in other genre's, not the system itself.

I think there are a lot of benefits to all 3 systems, and saying you don't like {x} feature on one console is basically just saying you're used to [y] feature on the other.

The PS3 was the last actual console I purchased due to price and it is my main primary system. Like tha_con, I own all current gen systems + psp. There is something for every system whether its retail exclusives or downloadable titles.

I really don't think there's much more to it than that. I'm a gamer, I enjoy games from all walks, be it platformers, shooters, open world games, puzzle games, etc. I play everything. There are fewer reasons for me to NOT own all 3.

I read someone say there weren't enough first person shooters, but to me that just says you aren't interested in other genre's, not the system itself.

I think there are a lot of benefits to all 3 systems, and saying you don't like {x} feature on one console is basically just saying you're used to [y] feature on the other.
I think there is more to it than that. In my case, I can easily afford to buy all 3 consoles, but at the same time, I'm smart with my money and don't want to buy something that I don't necessarily need. PS3 satisfies my gaming needs. I'm probably not the biggest gamer (I only play games a few hours a week) but that doesn't mean I'm not into videogames - I grew up playing video games and I can see myself playing games for the rest of my life.

The 360 and PS3 are so much alike, there are few reasons to own both systems. And from what I've noticed, most B3D members are like me and enjoy more hardcore games and enjoy HD visuals, so there are relatively fewer Wii owners here.

Then there are the people that can only afford a single console.

Why would I want to buy more console's if I can barely keep up with the games being released on a single system? And not because I don't have the time to play games.

I think it comes more down to the fact that most people don't budget close to 1000 USD for initial console purchase outlay, and that's not even including additional controllers or games. Hell, most people can't afford to budget the 500-700 USD in order to get two consoles...

It'd just be financially irresponsible for me to spend another 500+ USD for a PS3, controllers, and games... If I owned a PS3, just replace PS3 with X360.

Just a matter of priorities. Not that people aren't that into games.

Regards,
SB

"The Ps3 haz no gamez lol" that I am willing to pay the price of a laptop to play.

I almost got one for the dragon riding game, but then it got horrible reviews. At the moment, the only PS3 only game that I really want to play is that PSN Savage Moon game, but I'm not willing to spend $400 to play a $20 game. Once they lost Final Fantasy, there was nothing left to make me have to buy one. (And I don't play MMORPGs so FF14 is a non-starter)

My all time favourite (ie, I finished them) console games are Final Fantasy 7 (PS1 - but I played it on the PC), Jade Empire, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, Mirror's Edge, and pretty much any JRPG. Oh and things like puzzle quest.

There are just no "must have" games that are PS3 only for me, and there would have to be a bunch of them to justify the cost.

That's what I thought also. Before this gen, I was big into PC gaming and didn't care enough about console. Then I got sick of having issues with PC upkeep and maintenance and my severe case of upgraditis meant that owning all 3 consoles was actually cheaper!

That was plan going in anyway. Fast forward to present day and really, the 360 is all I use and frankly care for. The PS3 is a great BR player and for a very long time it was the best BR player out on the market. As a gaming
system, it does nothing for me. Going by E3, I only care for Uncharted 2 and nothing else coming down the pipe. If my PS3 ever takes a dump, I'll just get a stand alone player.

Then we move on to the Wii. Atleast the PS3 gets a lot of BR usage. Hell, sometimes I even forget that I own a Wii. The last game I played on it was SMG. An amazing game but that was a while ago! E3 came and I cared for nothing but the SMG2 announcement. Then my excitement got killed off by "2010" That's quite a range and knowing Nintendo, it'll likely be Holiday 2010. Chances are the Wii is going to be sold soon on Craigslist to make room for an amp. Something that I'll actually be using!

For people who can successfully manage to juggle owning 3 consoles, hats off to them but this generation has taught me, it's not for me. I won't be making the same mistake next gen.

I think it comes more down to the fact that most people don't budget close to 1000 USD for initial console purchase outlay, and that's not even including additional controllers or games. Hell, most people can't afford to budget the 500-700 USD in order to get two consoles...

It'd just be financially irresponsible for me to spend another 500+ USD for a PS3, controllers, and games... If I owned a PS3, just replace PS3 with X360.

Just a matter of priorities. Not that people aren't that into games.

Regards,
SB

I didn't buy each and every one at launch, lol. It still cost me a pretty penny, but it's easy to save up money for things you want by cutting out unnecessary costs from your daily routine.

Making fewer trips around town and consolidating your "errands" into a single day twice a week saves a TON of money on gas (I ended up saving nearly $40 a month). I stopped eating out as much, and I save about $60 a month there.

Being smarter about climate control in the house saved me about $30 a month (turning off AC turning down heat, etc).

There's always deals on things at Amazon.com, etc, shopping for "good deals" and being smart about your purchases can give you a lot of entertainment value at minimal cost.

I understand that everyone's situation is different, but no one is unable to save money for things they want. I never bought into the "cost" being too much, because frankly, we spend (rather, waste) far more money on things that we shouldn't. I have a lot of friends who would rather go out to eat / drink as opposed to stay in and buy those things at a store and make it themselves.

I save about $200 a month budgeting my money and making money saving choices. That translates into a lot of money that i have to "play with" every month for games, movies, and other expenses.

Not everyone makes tons of money, but there are always area's where you can alter your habits and save a remarkable amount of money. [/lecture]

That being said, it's not "unwise" to buy all 3 if you think "oh well most of the games I want are on both systems so I'll just buy them on the one I already own".

That's just a crock of shit, frankly, because both systems have VERY different games and experiences to be had, with a lot of different functionality for both out of the box. Excuses are like an ass hole, IMO, everyone has one, and they all stink. If you dig games, buy all 3 at some point in time, but beating around the bush and pretending like one doesn't have "the games you like" is ridiculous.

I know a ton of people here (and on GAF) who have said that, yet are frothing at the mouth over Prototype and Crackdown (2), yet completely ignore that inFamous exists. I can do this for a lot of titles.

Heh, you don't have to preach to me about cutting out unnecessary things. :)

I actually only drive my car (a Civic) about 4 times a month. I'm lucky enough to to live within easy walking distance of most things. However, when I lived out at the family ranch that wasn't an option. However, when I lived out at the family ranch that wasn't an option. Out there I had to have a truck, and had to drive around much more often. Was pretty painful when gas was going up, but what can you do, eh?

Likewise going so far as to underclock my video card/CPU/Memory when not gaming or needing massive CPU/GPU power. :)

Anyway, all I was stating is that it's not that we aren't interested in gaming. But for many of us 3 consoles is an unnecessary expense that can be cut.

Heck, if I didn't have a lot of neices and nephews that visit from time to time, I probably wouldn't have gotten the Wii even though I desperately wanted Wii Fit. :)

Yeah, I save quite a bit of money through a lot of those same basic conservation methods. As well as cooking my own food rather than going out to eat or buying pre-packed meals (like canned food, boxed food, frozen food, etc.).

I didn't say it was "unwise" to own all 3.

If someone wishes to budget for it and it improves their personal standard of living (pursuit of happiness and all that :)), then there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I was just stating that in the end it's a matter of personal priorities.

For me, cutting another console (and related expenses) doesn't impact my gaming enjoyment or personal standard of living. Especially when its an additional 500+ USD for console extra controller and games. Now when it's closer to 149-199 USD, I'll have to re-evalute that. :) At which point it's not as significant a burden on my yearly budget.

As is, there's already more things that I want to get than I could possibly make in a year. :)

Regards,
SB

PS - I use too many smileys...sigh...

I *will* buy one eventually, just because of my graphic-whore-ness, Killzone2 and the Uncharteds... but I'm not spending money on another console until I clear my huge 360 backlog.

If a price drop happens in the meantime, and my local DVD rent place starts offering Blu-ray - all the better!

In short, there's little Sony can do to entice me.

I'm pretty sure that everyone would buy a PS3 if it was $199 or $249 ... All other excuses are sour grapes imo...

It seems that not wanting a PS3 mostly comes down to already owning a 360 in most cases. I would be interested to know from those people which they would choose if they owned neither at the moment. Im guessing price would then be the determining factor mostly.

It looks like launching last along with price really has been the main hurdle for sony.

I wonder if the new motion controls for the systems could differentiate the two systems enough to encourage the purchasing of both consoles, where there isnt enough different at the moment. This could prove successful for both consoles as you have more potential to sell to customers already tied to another companys product.

That's what I thought also. Before this gen, I was big into PC gaming and didn't care enough about console. Then I got sick of having issues with PC upkeep and maintenance and my severe case of upgraditis meant that owning all 3 consoles was actually cheaper!
At the start of this gen I felt this way. I bought a 360 at launch and didn't upgrade my PC for a while. But the last game I bought for the 360 was Bioshock. I hated playing Bioshock on the 360 controller, so I upgraded my PC and finished the game there.

I gave the traditional console controller a shot. I finished a few games, including Kameo, COD2 and Gears. But I'm happy to be back to mouse and keyboard (plus the ever awesome Steam) again.

I still use the Wii, at least it offers a different experience. There's the exercise games, mini games I can play with family, and now Motion plus game: Tiger Woods 10 + Grand Slam tennis.

I'm looking forward to Natal though.

Back