Yellow Dog Linux 6.2

Discussion in 'CellPerformance@B3D' started by Arwin, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

On 29-07-2009, YDL 6.2 became available to the public. I got round to downloading it today, and it's installing right now. As I'm sure one or two other people here will try this distribution, I'm opening this thread to share some experiences.

A short list of interesting features:

- latest Cell Development kit included
    - PS3VRAM installed by default

Currently I've set it up completely default, completely on the 10GB I reserved when I installed my new 320GB drive (they should try to at some point give more options then 10/310 or 310/10 ;) ). Obviously I selected Software Development, but didn't do any other customisations.

If you want to get this going for Cell development, here's what I ended up doing and what could get you going in less than two hours!

If anyone wants to set up an environment to test Cell development with really fast using both VMWare (or something similar) and the PS3, I think this is really hard to beat:

1. download the VMWare image mentioned above, run it and log in with the user password mentioned above
    2. Start the IDE ready and waiting for you on the desktop. It will immediately put three examples in your workspace ready to go. Under the TAB Cell Environments, start the Local Cell Simulator (under local Cell Simulator, a bit confusing but one has a green run button, the other doesn't)
    3. download the YDL 6.2 DVD (see OP), burn it, install it on your PS3 using Install Other OS (takes about 1.5 hours), selecting the optional package software development, and at the very least enable the SSH bit in your network security/firewall (is an option during startup)
    4. Back on your VMWare, test if you can ssh to your PS3 running YDL (ssh ip.address.goes.here), should prompt you to log in. Try logging in. It may tell you that the PS3 will be added to your list of remote devices - this is a good thing, the next step may not work without that.
    5. In the Cell IDE (special Eclipse version) under the Tab 'Cell Environments', add a new Cell Box under Cell Box (I called it Cell Box PS3), and put in your PS3's IP, and a user and password for a user on your YDL configuration (I simply used root, didn't want to worry about rights).
    5. Press OK and start it. If it can't connect the first time, don't give up immediately. It didn't work the first time for me either, but a few times later it did work.
    6. Press the Run button on the project you want to run with your PS3 now (the one that shows all the Run options). On the second tab, select Target "Cell Box PS3" (or whatever you called it), choose Apply, and then Run.

That's it! Pretty cool huh? The fact that the image runs the cell SDK 3.0 and the PS3 has 3.1 installed isn't ideal, but doesn't seem to be a problem so far.

2. patsu

Legend

I believe 6.2 has the revised PS3VRAM. It appeared earlier (6.0 or 6.1 ?).

One of the changes in 6.2 is a working WiFi manager. The one in 6.1 was bonked. If you change the WiFi setting, it will crash the WiFi manager and you can't use it anymore. ^_^

3. Arwin

Moderator Legend

Well, yes, that's true. I was listing the points more versus other Linux distributions.

4. patsu

Legend

Ah, quite right !

I didn't try installing YDL 6.2 to USB thumb drive though. Not sure how to do that just yet.

5. Arwin

Moderator Legend

Well, I'm running it now and so far it looks good. It runs well, much better than last time. The PS3VRAM really helps out, but even without that it manages to stay within 200MB pretty well with GIMP and FireFox both open. It gives a really nice vibe with a friendly user interface and obviously tailored to the PS3 - boot-game-os for instance is there in the menu, which helps. Install time was about 1.5 hours.

This definitely seems very useable. Now the next mission will be to get some development projects for Cell up and running. Looks like there's still some work to be done before that's happening, but we'll see.

6. popper

Newcomer

the very first development projects thing the PPC devs can do is grab the PPC x264 from git and see about
    patching in the new *-crf modes and the very latest cutting edge "x264 "Macroblock Tree Ratecontrol" testing (Release candidate)" http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=148686 now commited yesturday.

ASAP after that, SOMEONE Please seriously look into adding some SPE patchs alongside the Altivec refactoring and help make cell x264 (HD) AVC Encoding werth using
    and ferther developing for...

if the cell cant keep up with Darks speed and quality x86/64 patchs then whats the point of the worlds best quality HD Encoder at any price running so slow on the PS3 cell but only using the PPC CPU and some faster altivec SIMD optimised code from the few dedicated SIMD devs...

the Cell/PS3 was billed as having Exactly this super great and faster HD AVC H@L4.1 Encoding SIMD capability in the SPE's however this is clearly NOT the reality today as
    noone seems interested in even trying to add any x264 SPE code there to date, the One most obvious app to potentially use SPE to its fullest for the smallest effort, even after so much time has passed, its the ONE thing it needs so badly, and could potentially then make the PS3 the best place to run it...your killer HD video app that could get masses of PS3 owners trying it out for the very first time.

*"http://sites.google.com/site/linuxencoding/x264-ffmpeg-mapping
    --crf <float> (x264)
    -crf <float> (FFmpeg)
    Constant quality mode (also known as constant ratefactor). Bitrate corresponds approximately to that of constant quantizer, but gives better quality overall at little speed cost. The best one-pass option in x264."

BTW Arwin did you know your really old SPE project
    OpenGL Low Poly Text Project - updated 6 july 2006 is coming back
    "404 Page Not Found
    The page you requested was not found."
    is that yet another SPE project with potential thats no more..

#6 popper, Aug 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2009
  7. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

I think that was a PSP project.

I want to try Linux on PS3, but don't have time. I want to write my synthesiser. :(

8. Arwin

Moderator Legend

Yeah, PSP project. I think its thread dropped out of the database. I may revisit it if I get that far on Linux though - it could be interesting to see if I could create a fast 3D test renderer using the Cell somehow.

9. popper

Newcomer

did anyone also notice the other interesting thing , Markos's "LibFreeVec" SIMD optimised library finally made it to the YD6.2 distro.

http://www.freevec.org/

did anyone try forcing that lib yet http://www.freevec.org/content/howto_using_libfreevec_using_ld_preload
    to see if it really does improve the PPC OS speeds or the apps compiled with it?

http://www.freevec.org/content/libfreevec_ng
    "....
    Submitted by markos on Tue, 03/24/2009 - 23:24.
    I'm in the process of rewriting libfreevec and porting it to other SIMD platforms, apart from AltiVec (which I consider dead or dying, unfortunately, thanks to the Big Powers that decided it's no longer important along with PowerPC, but that should be another topic). Anyway, the main platforms chosen are AltiVec (of course :), SSE (SSE2, SSE3 and possiby SSE4), ARM NEON and Cell SPU.

The idea behind libfreevec is not restricted to AltiVec anyway. I have proven that glibc, the #1 libc used on Linux, is totally unoptimized
    http://freevec.org/content/libfreevec_104_benchmarks_updated
    even for common platforms (such as x86 and x86_64), and there are performance gains that could/should materialize if someone took the effort to do it. So, I've decided to do exactly that.
    ..."

#9 popper, Aug 8, 2009
  10. Arwin

Moderator Legend

Did you read the comments? It seems to suggest it doesn't yet work on 64bit

11. popper

Newcomer

which comment? i didnt see anything to think that, perhaps the easyest and quickest way is just trying it with some known working 32/64 OSS compute intensive app, video Encoder ,or mandelbrot..., whatever code on YD6.2 will tell us if it works on or with 64bit or not and compare the speeds with, and without, if it does.

if there is infact a problem, perhaps markos can clarify on his freevec or codex blog as im not sure which he reads the most today, if you ask!

im sure he would want to know if you found a problem that needs fixing on PPC PS3, and he may share his private git with you to make it better for everyone later perhaps...

#11 popper, Aug 8, 2009
  12. patsu

Legend

popper... I did a quick search of H.264 projects on Cell:

* Old Papers

IBM H.264 encoding algorithm on Cell paper (2005):
    https://www-01.ibm.com/chips/techlib/techlib.nsf/techdocs/B5A1F97CAB641365872570AB00594459

IEEE parallel H.264 encoding performance analysis on Cell (2007)
    http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/Xplore/l...375797.pdf?arnumber=4375797&authDecision=-203

IBM H.264 decoding implementation in International Multimedia Conference (2007)
    http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1291340

* Implementations

Dicas and IBM H.264 encoder for Cell: (Announced Oct 2008, target 2Q 2009 if active)
    http://www.geniusdv.com/news_and_tutorials/2008/10/dicas-to-develop-h264-hd-encoder-for-cell-be.php

FixStar and CodecSys H.264 encoder: (v1.1 released)
    http://codecsys.fixstars.com/en/ce10/index_2.html
    http://codecsys.fixstars.com/en/support/ce10/source.html (source code)
    http://recruit.fixstars.com/en/cell_pro4_en.html :)

Toshiba and TMPGEnc SpursEngine plugin: (released)
    http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/te4xp_spurs.html

x264 Patches on Sijam
    http://blog.cell.sijam.com/cell/017x264/ (Do you know whether this is legit and has been folded into the x264 source tree ?)

Sourceforge real time H.264 encoder project: Not updated since 2007
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/cell-h264/
    I believe this was one of the winners in the Cell programming competition.

13. Arwin

Moderator Legend

The comments in the second or third link mentioned that it didn't work on PS3, and then Markos replied that it didn't work yet with 64bit ...

However, I looked into it a bit more, and in fact YDL 6.2 seems to have a working version of it compiled in by default. :)

14. Arwin

Moderator Legend

I'm still having trouble getting an environment up and running for Cell development. :( I've lost my old VMWare with the Cell emulator (broken external HDD) and I can't find it online anymore. So now I'm downloading a Fedora 10 VMWare (http://www.thoughtpolice.co.uk/vmware/ ) and the Cell SDK Fedora 9 isos to try and see if I can install those into that image, so that I have an image for this again. I hope that works, so that I have at least something. Then maybe I can hook up the PS3 as a remote machine.

15. betan

Veteran

Arwin, why do you need vmware for cell development?

16. Arwin

Moderator Legend

You don't ... it's just much more convenient. The only time I've been able to manage to get an environment up and running and compiling and modifying examples was using a ready made VMWare image with the Cell emulator on board. It has lots of obvious advantages, like being able to much more easily debug stuff. I think it could work pretty well to be able to switch using the emulator and using the real thing remotely, and that seems to be how a lot of people work.

When I've got a working image I could give a copy to Shifty so he can start working on that synth. ;)

17. oeLangOetan

Newcomer

The SDK's are very dependant on the specific version of fedora. Last year (november) I couldn't get it to work with fedora 10.

18. Arwin

Moderator Legend

Hmm, let's hope it works now, otherwise that would royally suck - it's been enough of a time sink already. :(

19. Arwin

Moderator Legend

I got most of it up and running I think, but I couldn't get the IDE to install into Eclipse, it seems because the install package information that needs to be downloaded from IBM couldn't be accessed, which is really annoying (same for the IBM java version, but I don't know if that is still needed).

I did however find the original VMWare that I used before again online and just downloaded it. I can heartily recommend it, because even though it's not completely up to date (3.0 rather than 3.1) it's definitely ready to go, examples included.

User/pwd is root / inn0vate

http://www.pad.lsi.usp.br/cell/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=23&Itemid=59

20. Arwin

Moderator Legend

Another update ...

Awesome! I've got the Fedora 7 image with Cell IDE up and running with both a local Simulator and YDL 6.2 on my PS3. I can run the same project on both targets pretty smoothly (although of course the results come back a fair bit quicker in one case ;) ).

If anyone wants to set up an environment to test Cell development with really fast using both VMWare (or something similar) and the PS3, I think this is really hard to beat:

1. download the VMWare image mentioned above, run it and log in with the user password mentioned above
    2. Start the IDE ready and waiting for you on the desktop. It will immediately put three examples in your workspace ready to go. Under the TAB Cell Environments, start the Local Cell Simulator (under local Cell Simulator, a bit confusing but one has a green run button, the other doesn't)
    3. download the YDL 6.2 DVD (see OP), burn it, install it on your PS3 using Install Other OS (takes about 1.5 hours), selecting the optional package software development, and at the very least enable the SSH bit in your network security/firewall (is an option during startup)
    4. Back on your VMWare, test if you can ssh to your PS3 running YDL (ssh ip.address.goes.here), should prompt you to log in. Try logging in. It may tell you that the PS3 will be added to your list of remote devices - this is a good thing, the next step may not work without that.
    5. In the Cell IDE (special Eclipse version) under the Tab 'Cell Environments', add a new Cell Box under Cell Box (I called it Cell Box PS3), and put in your PS3's IP, and a user and password for a user on your YDL configuration (I simply used root, didn't want to worry about rights).
    5. Press OK and start it. If it can't connect the first time, don't give up immediately. It didn't work the first time for me either, but a few times later it did work.
    6. Press the Run button on the project you want to run with your PS3 now (the one that shows all the Run options). On the second tab, select Target "Cell Box PS3" (or whatever you called it), choose Apply, and then Run.

That's it! Pretty cool huh? The fact that the image runs the cell SDK 3.0 and the PS3 has 3.1 installed doesn't seem to be a problem so far.

(If I'd known this in advance, it'd probably saved me a days work at least of mucking about, trying to get a working IDE on YDL, on my Ubuntu 9.04 install, on a new Fedora 10 image ... )