Xterm and SDK3.0

Discussion in 'CellPerformance@B3D' started by Shai, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Shai

Newcomer

I installed Fedora Core 7 and Cell SDK v3.0. When I run the system simulator I want to be able to open an xterm window on the host system by issuing the xterm command on the simulated Linux system.

Here's what I've done so far:

- ssh'ed into the simulated system from the host system to check if bogus net is set up properly
    - typed 'export DISPLAY=172.20.0.1:0' in the console of the simulated system to get it to send graphical output to the host system
    - executed gdmsetup on the host system and made sure that 'Deny TCP connections to Xserver' isn't checked
    - after that I type 'gdm-restart' to restart the window manager

So after the the window manager has restarted and I've logged in again, I restart the Cell simulator and type 'xterm'.

Here's what I get:

'Warning: This program is an suid-root program or is being run by the root user.
    The full text of the error or warning message cannot be safely formatted
    in this environment. You may get a more descriptive message by running the
    program as a non-root user or by removing the suid bit on the executable.
    xterm Xt error: Can't open display: %s'

Apparently the warning isn't all that important, but how do I get rid of 'xterm Xt error: Can't open display: %s'?

2. the maddman

Regular

Try running "xhost +" on the real linux box to turn of X display authentication.

3. Shai

Newcomer

Sorry if my post wasn't clear on that point, but that's exactly what I'm doing :).

4. patsu

Legend

5. the maddman

Regular

I see you turning on connections to GDM, but as far as I know (I don't run Gnome) you still need to tell the X server itself to allow the connection without authenticating.

Of course, if you can SSH into the system, just open a X term, and use SSH -X and forward X through SSH. That always works great.

6. patsu

Legend

That's what I thought after reading Shai's post too. However he seems to have done it already (perhaps in his profile or rc file)