XP Dual Core Hotfix KB896256

D3v0ur3r

Regular
I have a Opteron 165. I don't seem to be noticing any loss of CPU power however I may not know it if I am. I do not run the Cool & Quiet drivers either which I am unsure if this hotfix is strictly for or not.

I tried to use the Q4 beta patch with SMP on & off. On locks up immediatly same as Q3. Unless I install the hotfix then SMP (I guess) works without lock up however my sound is then screwed with windows. Can anyone tell me exactly what the hotfix is needed for & possibly why my X-FI would be screwed with the hotfix enabled?

Specs.
XPSP2.
Opteron 165
1 gig PC4000 Geil.
6800 GT.
X-FI Extreme Music.

Interesting. I'll have too look into that, as when I try to enable SMP on my AMD X2 system, the game locks up immediately and the CPU-usage of both cores drops to 0%. What's odd is the OS is still responsive and is able to kill the Q4 process. I too have an XFI, the XFI-Fatality edition.

I haven't noticed performance issues in other areas, as I don't have that patch installed. Is anyone else having issues with Q4 1.05 patch with SMP enabled?

Edit: Actually just tried the Q4 patch again & made a change to my comp earlier. With the hotfixed removed (just like before when it locked up) its now working. The difference may be I had the SMP command in an autoexec as well which I removed. Either way I have no idea why Q3 locked just like Q4 did with SMP enabled, without the hotfix ever being installed & now with the hotfix installed then uninstalled both work. Q3 not being changed at all.

Edit again: I just remembered. I also upgraded my drivers from 81.98 to 82.12. Maybe the drivers where the entire factor even though the difference between the 2 is supposed to be nothing with my setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back