XGI announces Volari

Discussion in 'Beyond3D News' started by marco, Sep 15, 2003.

1. marco

Regular

XGI announces new products: Volari Duo, Volari V8/V8 ultra, Volari V5/V5 ultra and Volari V3.

Volari DUO
    "For the first time in gaming history, you can harness the brute force of true, dual GPUs on a single, DX9 Compliant board. Volari Duo takes on the task of graphics processing with twice the firepower of other graphics cards, blowing away 3D benchmark challenges like a pair of 9 millimeters. Enjoy the crisp clarity of independent frame rendering with a stunning increase in overall yield that will redefine what people expect from a GPU. With an amazing 16 pipelines linked through a proprietary new bridge protocol, Volariâ„¢ Duo unleashes an avalanche of processing power that will leave the competition out in the cold."

More can be found here

Volari V8
    "Combining phenomenal graphics performance with blazingly fast processor speed, the Volari V8 series of graphics processors more than satisfies the computing power needs of advanced gamers.
    With true hardware DX9 built into each chip and support for both DDR and DDR2 memory specifications, no other graphics processor for the mainstream desktop PC can match the combined power and flexibility of XGI Volari V8 processors. Volari V8 processors have been designed from the substrate up to provide industry customers with flexible product segmentation. Choose a Volari V8 Ultra processor with 256MB DDR2 for extreme gaming graphics solutions, or a Volari V8 processor with 128MB DDR for high-end multimedia graphics solutions.
    "

More can be found here

Volari V5
    "If you’re seeking a smooth, powerful graphics solution for your PC, but don’t require bleeding-edge performance, Volari V5 is the perfect partner. The hot new V5 churns out enough juice to deliver a boat load of 3D fun and excitement that will keep your eyes glued to the screen. Fire up the combined power of Volari V5 and DDR2, and launch yourself into the middle of the action.

With true hardware DX9 built into each chip and support for both DDR and DDR2 memory specifications, no other graphics processor for the mainstream desktop PC can match the combined power and flexibility of XGI Volari V5 processors. Volari V5 processors have been designed from the substrate up to provide industry customers with flexible product segmentation.
    "

More can be found here

True Hardware DirectX9
    "All Volari V8, V5 and Duo processors employ XGI’s next generation TruShader™ 2.1 Engine, taking vertex and pixel shading to a new level of realism. Combine this with built-in DirectX9 programmability and 8 pixel pipelines, and 3D environments now come alive with cinematic realism and moviestudio caliber graphics. Advanced developers can take advantage of the Volari V8 processor’s fully programmable DirectX9 functions to deliver visual experiences never before seen on the PC."

Volari V3
    "XGI Volari V3 offering originates from our team extensive experience and pioneering leadership in supplying high quality 3D graphics solutions for entry level graphics solution. By employing advanced graphics algorithm that optimizes for smallest gate count, XGI Volari family delivers similar features and performance, such as Microsoft DirectX 8.1 and 9.0, while using only HALF the number of transistors of the competitive equivalent. This key advantage directly translates to much smaller die size and cost for all entry level platform and results in not only low cost but also high performance in both D3D and OpenGL application."
    • Software compatible to Microsoft DirectX 9.0
    • BrightPixelâ„¢ 3D graphics engine with DirectX 8.1 Vertex and Pixel Shaders in hardware
    • CoolPowerâ„¢ power management technology
    • SmartTileâ„¢ 128-bit memory architecture with 500MHz DDR memory
    • UltraClearâ„¢ TFT image quality at UXGA panel resolution (1600x1200)
    • Integrated TMDS drivers for TFT and DVI display
    • Multiple simultaneous output displays with TFT, DVI, CRT and TV AGP-4X or AGP-8X host interface
    More can be found here

2. Sage

Sage 13 short of a dozen
    Regular

I'm going to laugh if the XGI cards beat nVidia in HL2 8)

3. Joe DeFuria

Legend

You laugh...but I see some genuine missed opportunities here. ;)

If XGI or someone else *cough* PowerVR *cough*, would have a capable DX9 part on the market right now (timed with HL2 release) to compete with ATI...that would present a significant opportunity to get their foot back in the door.

Depending on NV40, there may be a relatively small (few months) opportunity to make a big splash in the DX9 market. I think it's being missed. :(

4. xGL

xGL
    Newcomer

Taipei, September 15, 2003 --- XGI Technology Inc, a high-end graphics chipsets supplier, has for the first time announced their product brand name and at the same time introduced a full family, top to bottom graphics solution for discrete graphics and mobile graphics market. XGI has designed and developed multiple chipset products to fulfill enthusiast, high-end, mainstream and entry level market.
    For the enthusiast market, XGI has introduced World’s 1st dual DX9 graphics solution, the Volari Duo V8 Ultra and the Volari Duo V5 Ultra. For the other market segments, XGI has introduced Volari V8 Ultra and Volari V8 for high-end market; Volari V5 Ultra and Volari V5 for mainstream market; and Volari V3 for entry level graphics application.

The discrete graphics solutions are specially design for desktop applications and are compliant with the latest DirectX9, OpenGL1.4 specification. In the high-end and enthusiast segment, the Volari products not only support the most commonly used DDR DRAM, it also supports the latest and the fastest DDR2 DRAM. This allows for greater flexibility in product planning and reduced the risk of limited DRAM selection.
    In addition, XGI has set the industry trend with the revolutionized BitFluentTM Achitecture built into Volari V5 series and the Volari V8 series processors. It allows the dual processor configuration and is able to equally distribute frame loadings between two processors. By employing the dual processor approach, the development cost could be reduced; the average yield rate could be increased and the performance could be increased at lower costs.
    In the mobile graphics arena, Volari has introduced three discrete graphics processor that are all software compliant with DirectX9 specification. XGI offers Volari XP5m32 for thin and light market; Volari XP5m64 for performance market and Volari XP5 for other market segments. By introducing a full range of products both in the discrete desktop and mobile market, XGI is a full product line supplier and already has Fullerton Technology, Siltrontech and World Peace Group joining XGI as strategic distributors

5. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

This website's SO full of PR BS: "Volari V8 processors feature XGI’s legendary Cipherª video processor". What? I never heard of it! "When it’s time to pour on the muscle, V-Drive is like a short of pure adrenaline in the heat of the battle. V-Drive™ ratchets up processing power in perfectly timed response to computational demands, effortlessly delivering full frame graphics with flawless execution." Huh? Say what?

They seem to continue the Xaber(TM)'s Xcellent(TM) use of bullXit(TM) Xcrement(TM) PR-names for every single component on the chip. Wonder if they'll understand performance means more than hot air this time 'round... Anyway, when are these cards supposed to launch anyway, and do they really NEED two of them to be competitive or why the dual setup?

*G*

6. Snyder

Regular

Hmm...sounds interesting. Let's hope their approach on AFR works out better than ATI's Rage Fury MAXX. What I'm concerned about is that occlusion culling techniques is completely absent in their marketing avalanche and FSAA barely mentioned. I hope they aren't severely lacking in that department.
    The graphics card market would surely benefit from more competition...

Oh, but their names are again horrible.
    First thing I thought of when I read the card names:
    http://fun.drno.de/flash/volare.swf :wink:

7. Anonymous

Veteran

OpenGL 1.4 - any chance we will see support for the new GLslang extension in 1.5 on these cards?

They market the highend, will XGI's drivers support Linux then?

8. Anonymous

Veteran

Any chance this product will actually exist?

actually; isn't XGI what S3's graphics division turned into?

9. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Not only will it, it does. 8)

Expect a computex showing... ;)

10. Tim

Tim
    Regular

No S3 is still a part of VIA, XGI is the SIS graphics division and Trident.

11. xGL

xGL
    Newcomer

According to what my source at XGI told me, yes.

Again, yes.

I'm not really in favor of such naming either, but you have to admit every other competitor does the same as far as I can tell (CineFXâ„¢ , CGâ„¢ , Smartshaderâ„¢ , PicturePerfectâ„¢, Surround Gamingâ„¢, Smoothvisionâ„¢, Videoshaderâ„¢, HyperZâ„¢, etc.) so it's hard to break such a tradition :roll:

12. davepermen

Regular

uhm.. nv30 anyone? HOT AIR == ULTRAPERFORMANCE!!!! :D and YEAH they could blow hot air! :D

13. Anonymous

Veteran

So what I gather from this is: you can have two of the highend Volari GPUs on one card, in parallel for 2x the performance ( at least in theory)

much like with the ATI Rage Fury MAXX or Sega's NAOMI 2, which both had two rendering chips. except this time, this is with two full graphics processors (GPUs) or whatever you want to call it. the ATI Rage chips and PowerVR2 chips in NAOMI 2 were just renderers.

So this is the first time a twin GPU card is coming out for consumers. there are alots of cards and systems that use this approach. E&S used twin ATI 8500s and now use twin or quad ATI 9700s. the Sega Model 3
    board used twin Real3D/Pro-1000s. but never been done for in a consumer product. I know 3Dfx was on that road with the Rampage.

Even if a single highend Volari GPU isnt upto par with NV35 / R350, I couldnt resist seeing what two can do :)

14. Anonymous

Veteran

The Voodoo 5 5500 had two processors, and that was VERY MUCH a dual-processor setup. The v5 6000 was on its way wtih 4 processors. This is /hardly/ the first mass-market dual-GPU card out there.... First DX9 dual-gpu, yes, but that's it.

15. xGL

xGL
    Newcomer

isn't that what they wrote, the world's first dual chip DX9 solution?

16. Megadrive1988

Veteran

I did not count the Voodoo5 series because it was not a full 3D processor / GPU, that offloads the CPU completely. All Voodoo's lacked geometry processing / T&L. Voodoo5 with 2 processors, or 4 processors in the case of the 6000 is not unlike the ATI Rage Fury MAXX. they are simply 3D accelerators. not full graphics processors with geometry on board.

17. Anonymous

Veteran

I have an ATI Rage Fury MAXX card still running on my computer and am not disappointed in the least with it. I do have to disable the second processor when playing something like Command and Conquer Generals but a graphics card that works after so many years in the computer market nowadays is rare. Yes, I do play games (like Quake, UT, Command and Conquer, etc) quite a bit but am not a stereotypical gamer.

18. Anonymous

Veteran

My post above.
    I forgot to mention that I was awaiting the Xabre II to come out and then they switched lines..... now I am not sure what to wait for.

19. Anonymous

Veteran

PCWELT.de posted that the first cards for testing will be available in 3 weeks. So stay tuned :D

20. Anonymous

Veteran

Dual GPU

:shock:

:arrow: The Voodoo Cards were NOT GPUs - they did not offer even basic T&L as the origanl GeForce did which is what now defines a "GPU" along with Vertex and pixel shaders. The Voodoo cards were simply pixel pushing units! :roll: