XGI’s Ambitious Plans

Discussion in 'Beyond3D News' started by Dave Baumann, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Anonymous

Veteran

can't say i'm too psyched about this one yet... they're launching in November? right? IIRC? and I have yet to see ONE screenshot of it playing a GAME. About the only good news is that they seem to be going about this the right way -- starting at the high end. However, it looks like it will be really expensive... I honestly feel that with ALL design houses, they really need to survive 2 generations to become competitive. 1st-gen tech just almost always sucks. Hopefully, they have the cash-backing to get it right next time, and by then maybe they'll have game support! ^_~

2. ben6

Regular

I was hyped about Xabre at first too. When SIS came over to show off Xabre and drop one off (was that really a year ago) they ran 3dmark and Quake 3 in front of me. (Michelle is very nice still :))

After taking a long hard look at games with Pixel Shaders (Morrowind, 3dmark 2001 build 320 I think, Tiger Woods) it was apparent that I was rather disappointed. Course that review never posted because of extenuating circumstances, but ah well.

3. rwolf

rwolf Rock Star
    Regular

I bet they get lots of the low end in Taiwan. (Video card makers)

4. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Dang it, I just got a press release from XGI but I can't open it as I don't have office installed right now and it's a .doc. :roll:

Gotta go do an install, more soon.

5. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

hint - look in the press release forum!

6. Anonymous

Veteran

Doesn't Wordpad open .doc files?

7. digitalwanderer

Legend

I thanked ya over there, but I'll thank you again here for your kindness.

Thanks for sharing that Dave, you spared me installing Office this morning. (Now I can put it off 'til I need to make some graphs...probably later this afternoon. :roll: )

Usually it does, but it crashed when I tried to use it to open up this one and it looked like garbage in notepad. :(

My 'puters are currently both rigged up for testing and are suffering from a severe lack of tweakage and what I consider necessary utilities, but I figure they should be back up to speed by the weekend. :)

8. Saem

Veteran

There is an application called wordview from MS. It's freely available and it lets you view word documents. Just use the link below...

Save as this link

9. digitalwanderer

Legend

I'm having some problems with the link... ;)

I have office, I just haven't installed it since my last re-build. I really will have to install it later to make some graphs, so I figure that'll cover it. :)

Thanks for the wordview tip though, I will check that out.

10. chavvdarrr

Veteran

Last versions of OpenOffice are fine.

11. Anonymous

Veteran

Yeah, but if you have MS Office there aren't really many reasons to use OpenOffice (except possibly for the fact that its password protection is miles and away better). An encrypted, password protected swx (or is it sxw?) file is a tough cookie to crack.

12. Anonymous

Veteran

13. cthellis42

cthellis42 Hoopy Frood
    Legend

Back on topic, there's a nice long article herabouts to chew on until we can actually see some silicon.

14. digitalwanderer

Legend

Nothing against that article since it really ain't all that bad, but there isn't anything NEW in it...it's just a summary with all the known info to date in it. :( (It's a good summary, but it's still nothing new. :( )

15. Arun

Arun Unknown.
    Moderator Legend Veteran

I firmly disagree with their conclusion however:

Hmm, sorry, but NVIDIA has seen 3DFX doing it forever, and they always said "No." - they bought 3DFX, and they're still saying "No" - it ain't a small player who's gonna make them change their mind.

Although in the longterm, a multichip GPU from NVIDIA is not out of the question at all; I would expect them to operate in a "PPP/VS chip" and a "PS chip" way though - not 2 chips having all the stuff.

I did hear some stuff according to which the NV30 was originally, for a VERY short period ( read: it was on a wishlist that didn't make it ) - I kinda suspect NVIDIA scrapping the PPP might have something to do with not going multichip though.

The NV40 won't be multichip AFAIK. The NV50, though, why not! Not that we got much info about it, but the good ole "Full ILDP" sticker :)

Uttar

16. rwolf

rwolf Rock Star
    Regular

I think it costs manufacturers less to produce a single chip. ATI has one set of control logic and multiple pipelines controlled with the same control LOGIC. The 9600 is 75 million transistors and the 9800 is 110+ transistors. It only cost them 35 million transistors to double everything. The XGI chips have to have control logic in both chips.

17. Rugor

Newcomer

I like Abiword too, just used it to write a novel.

However, I too am more curious than hopeful about XGI. They may make it, and it would be good if they did, but the last two products from either of these teams were the Xabre and the XP4, neither of which really lived up to the hype.