XGI’s Ambitious Plans

Discussion in 'Beyond3D News' started by Dave Baumann, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

The Hungarian website Prohardver has an interview with XGI’s Marketing Director, Andy Chang. Andy outlines some of XGI’s goals and intents in this interview, including aiming to gain 5%-10% of the discrete graphics market share by the end of 2004.

It would seem that XGI are ready to take on the developments in the PC platform fairly aggressively, as although they will be releasing Volari fairly late in 2003, XGI are stating that they will be moving across to the PCI-Express interface early in 2004. This doesn’t give any indications whether the actual chip will have an integrated PCI-Express interface or whether they will utilise a PCI-Express to AGP bridge.

2. T2k

T2k
    Veteran

Hmm. I thought I've posted this link earlier... :D seems I need Cavinton... :D

3. Hyp-X

Hyp-X Irregular
    Veteran

LOL :lol:

4. Mark

Mark aka Ratchet
    Regular

I noticed he said that they were hoping to have it on shelves by the end of November. Does anyone have review samples yet?

5. rwolf

rwolf Rock Star
    Regular

Didn't seem to want to answer any tough questions? Hardware might be great but limited resources makes me think the drivers are going to suck.

6. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

I've submitted a bunch of questions to them a little while ago, primarily asking about their pipeline and shader configuration. Hopefully they will answer them and we'll get some more clarifications sooner or later.

7. Anonymous

Veteran

lol, two power connectors for the duo boards. Seems like they let the marketing folks have a little too much influence on the design of the pcb.

8. parhelia

Newcomer

They will originally have Volari cards with a PCI Express to AGP bridge. The XG45 on the other hand should have an integrated PCI Express interface

I think he meant that they would solely dedicate themselves to generic optimizations which benefits all programs instead of application specific optimizations for particular benchmarks.
    With all the controversy surrounding optimizations for benchmarks, I actually think it is good that XGI won't be wasting time like nVidia optimizing benchmarks

9. Anonymous

Veteran

Riiiiight. Like SIS and Trident haven't always done selective image quality reducing hacks in the past. :roll:

10. parhelia

Newcomer

This isn't SiS and Trident anymore, and I should think they have learnt from past mistakes.

11. ben6

Regular

I hope the Volari rocks :). Kind of boring with ATI/NV right now....

12. martrox

martrox Old Fart
    Veteran

I hope they are competitive, or better! The more choices the better - for all of us.

13. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

I'm really hoping for a lot of great things out of XGI.

No matter what their roots/beginings, they're a new company now and I'm giving them the benefit of a clean-slate start. :)

(I got a good feeling about 'em, I really do. :) )

14. Neeyik

Neeyik Homo ergaster
    Veteran

I don't. If one's product is good, is there any need to suffocate it under a blanket of marketing gobbledeegook? Take this for example:

"Not all processing environments are created equal.
    The blistering demands imposed by full screen 3D applications will tax your GPU for all it’s worth, leaving weaker processors in the dust. When it’s time to pour on the muscle, V-Drive is like a short of pure adrenaline in the heat of the battle. V-Drive™ ratchets up processing power in perfectly timed response to computational demands, effortlessly delivering full frame graphics with flawless execution. Shift in to V-Drive™ and experience the ultimate in high-speed performance."

Have you ever read so much drivel? ATI & NVIDIA can both be accused of bending the truth about their products over the years but I can't help but feel that the Volari is going to be very much a 3rd position runner (and a rather distant one at that).

15. martrox

martrox Old Fart
    Veteran

Be careful feeling around there, DW....... don't want you to get a relapse..... :wink:

16. cthellis42

cthellis42 Hoopy Frood
    Legend

Another short interview over here, too.

I certainly hope they'll come off strong and competitive, but the last time I was getting excited over an "outside curve" was with the Parhelia, so... let's just say I'm much more of a "I'll see it when it's out" kind of guy now. Heh...

17. Hubert

Newcomer

Deja vous

Drivers make a big difference, don't they ?
    Bandwith saving techniques do not hurt also.
    Not to speak of antialiasing.

So far we know next to nothing about these issues ...

18. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Ouch. I didn't get all that hyped about the Parhelia and I can't help but get hyped about XGI, XGI seems much more focused on the gaming crowd than Parhelia ever was.

Time will tell, and it'll be a lot of fun finding out. :)

19. ET

ET
    Regular

The way I remember it, SiS' quality reducing hack was not selective at all.

20. Nite_Hawk

Veteran

That's true,

Perhaps if they do global image degredation that is so plainly obvious that they don't need to bother telling people about it then it won't really be an ethical issue. :D

Nite_Hawk