xenon to be power hungry beast of a machine?

aaaaa00

Regular
http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/home...ew-part-three-xbox-2-and-xbox-live-029382.php

Gates: [... stuff deleted ...]

There's no way portable gaming can come anywhere near the high-definition gaming that we'll offer in the console-based product. The amount of power and heat that we get to budget for that [console] is two orders of magnitude more than you can do with a portable device.

Just to get, you know—we have to have fans, we have to have multiple fans. I mean, we're turning out hundreds of watts in that thing because the processor and the graphics are just total state-of-the-art incredible devices.

Hmmmm. ;)

If Xenon consumes "hundreds of watts", doesn't this rule out a light slim design that is smaller than Xbox?

I would imagine it gets hotter than todays average PC. I like the MS approach of computing power being the highest priority with everything else being secondary, but if MS ends up being the weakest console, MS will lose its greatest selling point.

The xenon will be an ultra mega super computer that can control the united state's nukes all by itself .... its nick name is sky net

Or simply a $300 heater :)

If Xenon consumes "hundreds of watts", doesn't this rule out a light slim design that is smaller than Xbox?

No. Xbox is rather large.

bleon said:

No, not at all. There's no reason you'd need a large case just because the thing dissipates a lot of power.

PC cases are big because they need room for internal expansion. Other than that, the extra volume is mainly counterproductive (witness the advent of BTX cases that are re-jigged internally to improve thermal characteristics).

Having a lot of internal air volume will trap heat inside. I'd say the GC is the most thermally efficient of the current consoles, and a model for the future too.

I would imagine it gets hotter than todays average PC.

"Runs hotter" is not the same thing as "dissipates more power", and the other way around. It could well run cooler even though it dissipates more power because of the inefficiency of ye average PC case.

May I present... the xbox 2 cooling solution!

reserator1_c_p.jpg

:LOL: ;)

Honestly though, you have more options when designing a cooling solution for a console -- you can put a lot more thought into airflow than with a generic PC case.

london-boy said:
If there was one annoying thing about my PS2, and my PC by extent, is that they're LOUD.

I think the only thing loud about my PS2 is the cd-rom.
and that isn't nearly as loud as the berserker cd-rom on my Dreamcast

Mulciber said:
london-boy said:
If there was one annoying thing about my PS2, and my PC by extent, is that they're LOUD.

I have a launch PS2 and the fan can be a bit annoying when watching DVDs, not too loud per se, but the humming is there and it's just useless cause i don't think PS2 needs such active cooling when playing a DVD, and yes, when playing those few games on CD, at full speed it gets mental...

london-boy said:
Mulciber said:
london-boy said:

I have a launch PS2 and the fan can be a bit annoying when watching DVDs, not too loud per se, but the humming is there and it's just useless cause i don't think PS2 needs such active cooling when playing a DVD, and yes, when playing those few games on CD, at full speed it gets mental...

Watch them louder :p

I have a PC which makes the same noise as a desk fan with paper in front of it... helps me sleep odly enough.

london boy said:
That's because you're spoiled, you never had to use a DTL10000. Once you'd been exposed to a few hours of jetengines right under your desk you'd start praising your other components for their quiteness.

aaaaa00 said:
Honestly though, you have more options when designing a cooling solution for a console -- you can put a lot more thought into airflow than with a generic PC case.
yup, console "cases" are basically designed from the ground up.. so they can be designed with the console's specific hardware's thermal output in mind

jvd said:
Megadrive1988 said:
because Xbox2 is a supercomputer

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14050

8) 8)
please the ps2 was a super computer that could control missles and rendor start wars eps 1 .

The xenon will be an ultra mega super computer that can control the united state's nukes all by itself .... its nick name is sky net

And it did:

gscube1.jpg

There's a difference between knowing the path and walking it. Remember, Sony never said the PS2 would be doing this. They said the Emotion Engine would do it. ;)

Back